The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Confused on my stance….

I think it’s just a matter of learning the new skill (skating) and getting used to the feeling and understanding how it all works. Have a read of the article that Mizu posted (and watch the video too). At the start it’s really important you keep your back (right) foot close to the board and your front foot. Only use very smal steps and pushes, all while keeping your weight balanced over your front foot. Have a read through and let me know if you have any questions.

definitely learn to skate properly it will become more comfortable with time and you wont have to re learn it later.
i find its always harder to re-learn how to do something properly after being lazy and learning the wrong way. its so easy to then fall back into bad habits.

kg55 - 04 January 2012 10:04 AM

Am i the only one who has this difficulty? Please tell me i’m not alone….

Hi kg55
Actually I have a friend who does exactly what you do.
I have a theory on why she does it cause I have taught a few people that do it and I’m seeing a pattern.

You like to ride regular (it feels right, therefore it is)
You skate goofy (It feels easier to skate… so u do it that way)
BUT I bet it feels scary to skate down the chairlift down ramps cause that’s not your natural direction.

So my guess is you skate goofy because it feels safer to have your right foot strapped in?
That’s how u have learned so it’s easier for u, however far less safe.
Very few people ever get badly hurt just skating on flat ground but a big number of injuries come from chair lift down ramps.
So u have 2 choices, learn to skate regular or learn to ride the down ramps switch gulp

When u look at it that way, learning to skate regular is far more friendly.

Hope that helps, and let me know if what I’m saying sounds right to you. Cause I’m trying to learn about this too smile

Andy Aitken - 05 January 2012 09:41 PM

Hi kg55
I have a theory on why she does it cause I have taught a few people that do it and I’m seeing a pattern.

BUT I bet it feels scary to skate down the chairlift down ramps cause that’s not your natural direction.

So my guess is you skate goofy because it feels safer to have your right foot strapped in?
Very few people ever get badly hurt just skating on flat ground but a big number of injuries come from chair lift down ramps.
So u have 2 choices, learn to skate regular or learn to ride the down ramps switch gulp

Hope that helps, and let me know if what I’m saying sounds right to you. Cause I’m trying to learn about this too smile

Wow its so interesting what your saying, i totally agree, i feel better having my right foot strapped in for some odd reason, its hard because i find it easy to push with my left foot as i feel i have more control until im going off the chair lift ha ha. I have tried to change it but im not as strong in the other leg and get tired a lot quicker. I thinks it just a matter of practice, practice, practice….
Thanks for letting me know, i feel better knowing im not the only person doing this. Let me know if you have any good tips to try make it easier to change. Gosh its so confusing, i hope this makes sense.

when i first started i thought i was goofy also
as i ride skateboard goofy
actually felt relatively comfortable going down the hill both ways
but i could not skate and get off the lift as goofy

in the end
regular it was because needed to skate and get off the lift
riding regular seems natural now

out of interest i tried that ripstick and i do that regular :shrugs:

humdingaling - 08 January 2012 10:20 AM

when i first started i thought i was goofy also
as i ride skateboard goofy
actually felt relatively comfortable going down the hill both ways
but i could not skate and get off the lift as goofy

in the end
regular it was because needed to skate and get off the lift
riding regular seems natural now

out of interest i tried that ripstick and i do that regular :shrugs:

I should try the ripstick thing its just weird because i have always surfed and wake boarded goofy but it feels better natural on a snowboard. Will hopefully get used to one and stick to it…..

Hm is it really right to skate with your rear foot behind the board?  From memory I think i skate with my rear foot on the toeside edge, which seems like it would put less pressure on the front knee?

Nah, way easier to skate with ya foot behind ya heel edge!!!!!

Plus ya front knee should be in a similar position to when ya ridin while strapped in!!!!! (Please correct me if I am wrong, instructor types!!!!!)

Well that’s how I do it anyways!!!!!  long face

Hm i’ll have to give it a try.  How would you do it on a skatey?  Toeside or heelside?  I pretty much use that same action i see skaters use.

I actually go toe side with the back foot, but on a skatey your body position is facin forward as opposed to sideways on a snowboard, when ya pushin!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 08 January 2012 11:52 AM

I actually go toe side with the back foot, but on a skatey your body position is facin forward as opposed to sideways on a snowboard, when ya pushin!!!!!

yeah true, although I do usually have a pretty high forward binding angle.

Mizu Kuma - 08 January 2012 10:49 AM

Nah, way easier to skate with ya foot behind ya heel edge!!!!!

Plus ya front knee should be in a similar position to when ya ridin while strapped in!!!!! (Please correct me if I am wrong, instructor types!!!!!)

Well that’s how I do it anyways!!!!!  long face

It’s better to have your back foot behind the heel edge. Alignment is important when teaching beginners, and having it behind the heel edge keeps them in much better alignment. We strongly encourage them to push from behind the heel edge (and this is how we teach), however both methods are acceptable.

Mudhoney - 08 January 2012 10:56 PM
Mizu Kuma - 08 January 2012 11:52 AM

yeah true, although I do usually have a pretty high forward binding angle.

Yeah, I have +18, -18 on mine!!!!!

kg55 - 08 January 2012 10:11 AM
Andy Aitken - 05 January 2012 09:41 PM

Hi kg55

Wow its so interesting what your saying, i totally agree, i feel better having my right foot strapped in for some odd reason, its hard because i find it easy to push with my left foot as i feel i have more control until im going off the chair lift ha ha. I have tried to change it but im not as strong in the other leg and get tired a lot quicker. I thinks it just a matter of practice, practice, practice….
Thanks for letting me know, i feel better knowing im not the only person doing this. Let me know if you have any good tips to try make it easier to change. Gosh its so confusing, i hope this makes sense.

The reason (I believe) it’s been easier for you to learn to skate goofy is because your right foot is probably the one that’s more dexterous and therefor your mind says ‘strap that one in, if u only get control over the board with one foot, the make it the right foot) And your brain is correct about the skating part. But we both know it’s not just skating but also riding chair ramps, so u need to learn to skate regular.
- My Advice is skate EVERYWHERE regular from now on. In fact do some extra skating to practice, back and forth across the hill so you get to use both edges. And when you are ready to try your first chair ramp (regular) make it the most mellow ramp you can find, and build confidence on that first.
Kick, push, kick, push, Coast shaka