The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

New kid on the block

Hi all,

Figured I’d drop a line and say g’day, new to this forum and snowboarding in general considering I’ve never seen snow before!!

Traveling to Canada in feb for 3 weeks and going to big white ski resort, Cant wait,

I’m running a Burton Clash 151 with Burton Cartel Re-Flex bindings, can’t wait to actually use them,

Any advice for a newbie to the sport is much appreciated, if not, hello all looking forward to becoming part of the community!

Howdy Mw!!!!! And welcome to Boardworld!!!!!

Its kind of a shame that ya gonna be in Big White, cause there will be a heap of us in Whistler at that very time, includin me!!!!! Yeeewwww!!!!!

Try hittin thus Snow section on here and check out the video tutorials on the menu at the left!!!!!

They will get ya off to a great start!!!!! But whatever ya do, have some lessons every mornin when ya in Big White, so ya can really make the most of ya time on the hill!!!!!

shaka

Got 2 full days of private lessons booked to start me off, if I need more after that I’ll decide at the time

Mizu Kuma - 04 December 2011 05:51 AM

But whatever ya do, have some lessons every mornin when ya in Big White, so ya can really make the most of ya time on the hill!!!!!

shaka

Just something i usually recommend to most people when going OS (cause Aus don’t really let you do it)

Say you get a 5 day lift and lesson package. Actually do a morning and afternoon lesson the first 2 days. then the last one on the first day. Cram those babies in!

(Instructors feel free to correct me on this - or anyone else)

Welcome to Boardworld, Mwmartella! cool smile

I’ll never forget my first overseas snowboarding trip; it was to Big White and I had an amazing time! You will have a great time over there!

The first thing I would suggest is reading through the riding tutorials and videos here. These tutorials cover everything you would learn in the first day or two (depending how fast you progress). I would strongly recommending reading through, watching the videos, and trying to understand and visualise how it all works. If you can start to visualise the techniques, your progression will be a lot faster and you will get a lot more value out of your private lessons. Please feel free to ask any and all questions in that thread and the other instructors and I will be more than happy to help you.

Let us know if you have questions about anything else. Once again, a big welcome to our community! Introduce yourself here and join in the fun in Boardworld Social.