The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Walking group

Hey crew,

So I am starting a walking group with the company I am working for (lululemon) I setting it up to help get people together, enjoy amazing sunsets and just well walk things off.  We are starting next wednesday, Aug, 26th. 

We are walking from Bondi to Bronte and back
Meeting at Icebergs around 6:15pm - 6:30pm and starting the walk 6:30pm ish.

Its open to any one but sounds like so far it going to be me and a bunch of ladies.  Its going to be a weekly thing so feel free to meet up with us.

darb - 20 August 2009 05:07 AM

Its open to any one but sounds like so far it going to be me and a bunch of ladies.

you certainly do know how to advertise an event raspberry

Hey Brad, sounds good. Michelle and I will be there. See you then.

golfpunklegend - 20 August 2009 05:31 AM
darb - 20 August 2009 05:07 AM

Its open to any one but sounds like so far it going to be me and a bunch of ladies.

you certainly do know how to advertise an event raspberry

Well I thought it would be nice to have a few guys to chat with lol

so whats your insurance policy when i trip over on the boardwalk? ... wink

Hello Brad, I’m not in Sydney but jsut wondering how long does it take to walk Bondi to Bronte and back?

Caboose - 20 August 2009 09:05 PM

There are a few cliffs in the area Im sure I could make it look like an accident. lol I mean if you are proned to tripping

The walk takes about 1.5-2 hours there and back at a fairly slow pace.

darb - 21 August 2009 03:33 AM
Caboose - 20 August 2009 09:05 PM

The walk takes about 1.5-2 hours there and back at a fairly slow pace.

I take that it’s quite a nice walk? Maybe next time in Sydney I’ll go for a stroll.

When i was in sydney i walked from coogee to bondi.
Bondi is great for a walk.
Kinda have this hate for the beach cos i went there twice and got stung by jellyfish twice

Coogee and Bondi are funny names.

Try on Roanoke, Ronceverte, and Catwba for towns near me.. lol

snowslider - 21 August 2009 06:53 AM

ahahah i’ll give you that. it would kinda suck having surrounding town names which are that hard to pronunciate

golfpunklegend - 21 August 2009 04:15 PM
snowslider - 21 August 2009 06:53 AM

ahahah i’ll give you that. it would kinda suck having surrounding town names which are that hard to pronunciate

There have sure been some odd ones I have heard about in AUS. Very native Indian sounding… I guess named by the aborigines of AUS?

im not sure really.
I dont think they were though

There is clear evidence - in the form of significant Aboriginal rock carvings in particular - that Aboriginal people occupied sites in the area now known as Waverley in the period before European settlement. An important type of tool was first found in the region and is still known as the Bondi point.

The indigenous people of the area at the time of European settlement have generally been referred to as the Sydney people or the Eora (Eora means “the people”). One theory describes the Eora as a sub-group of the Darug language group which occupied the Cumberland Plain west to the Blue Mountains. However, another theory suggests that they were a distinct language group of their own.

There is no clear evidence for the name or names of the particular band(s) of the Eora that roamed what is now the Waverley area. Most sources agree on the Cadigal but there are sources which name the Biddigal and Birrabirragal bands as well.

A number of place names within Waverley - most famously Bondi - have been based on words derived from Aboriginal languages of the Sydney region.

The name Bondi itself is said to be of aboriginal origin, perhaps meaning “the sound of breaking water” (see Why It’s Called Bondi).
I know that the word Coogee is derived from means ‘smelly place’ in the local aboriginal language.
*quick google search*
‘The name Coogee is said to be taken from a local Aboriginal word koojah which means “smelly place”[4], or “stinking seaweed”, a reference to the smell of decaying kelp washed up on the beach.’
^ is from wiki article

Who actually decides the names though. i now know it is derived from aboriginal terms but who actually has the last say?