The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Goggles!

Oakley Splice vs Electric EG2 vs Dragon APX

I’m looking at getting a new pair of goggles. At first I was looking at the Splices because apparently their quality of lenses cannot be beaten, but then again I really want a goggle that has great vision which just feels alot better and that made me look at the EG2 but after a couple reviews, they were said to have bad quality lenses, which then lead me to the APX which is new and apparently rad!

What are you opinions?

I know the Splice and APX are both quality. I had a play with the APXs and they are awesome. Although they are a large frame, so keep that in mind.

The most important thing though, is how they fit your face. I can almost guarantee you that one is going to feel better than the rest. Make sure you try them all on and get the one which fits your face best (comfy, no gaps etc.).

Yeah, I tried both the Splices and Eg2 out and both of them fit me well. Just waiting for my local store to get some APX’s so I can try them on. I love how the Splices look but the field of view just isn’t that good in my opinion.

Well, you need to be comfortable with the peripheral vision. Was the peripheral vision that much better with the Electrics?

I would also consider the Dragon Rogues - awesome goggles in my opinion.

Well from what I remember They were alot better. I have a pair of hawkeyes and my friend has some splices I tried one. The hawkeyes have better peripheral vision.

Did you find any problems with the vision using splices?

bliss - 09 November 2011 05:54 AM

Yeah, I tried both the Splices and Eg2 out and both of them fit me well. Just waiting for my local store to get some APX’s so I can try them on. I love how the Splices look but the field of view just isn’t that good in my opinion.

i have splices i love them
no issues with the field of vision

i see goggles are the same as boots….its how it fits/works on your face as opposed to someone elses face
just have to go try em

havent tried the APX
EG2 and EG2.5 does not fit face
VZ feenom does fit my face however

EG2’s that I have are huge… and I have a decent sized head…

rider26 - 09 November 2011 06:02 AM

Well, you need to be comfortable with the peripheral vision. Was the peripheral vision that much better with the Electrics?

I would also consider the Dragon Rogues - awesome goggles in my opinion.

I can vouch for the peripheral that comes outta the Rouges!!!!!

And the EG2’s are pretty good as well!!!!!

Got EG2’s, I have a fair sized melon and they fit great and the peripheral vision is awesome!

I haven’t tried the APX’s but I rate Dragons highly!
I’ve had 4 pairs of Dragons, 2 DXs, 1 Rogue and 1 Mace (still in the box, haven’t used it yet)

Every time I look at goggles i try every kind I can find but I always end up buying Dragons.

Of course make sure you try them all on and find out which ones fit u well, and then choose between the remaining goggles. I doubt 3 different brands will fit u perfectly, but u might get lucky.

#edit - oooops, i was logged in as the wrong person. This is Andy

Has anyone encountered problems with quality of goggle with the EG2’s??

Define what you mean by quality?

I’ve ridden Electrics almost exclusively for 5 years. I had EG1S’s for a while, then EG2’s for the past 3 seasons. There are no lense defects, I’ve never had a day where I thought the lense wasn’t clear etc. The only time they’ve ever fogged is when I had a full balaclava underneath and positioned it incorrectly. But that was in -30 weather. I’ve got the yellow lense for pow/night riding, and the orange chrome for everything else. I’ve switcheds the lense a LOT and the frame & lenses are still fine. In fact the size makes it a much easier switch than some other goggles.

I’ve never understood what people mean by higher lense quality. Can you see through them? Yes. Do they fit? Yes. Good, buy them smile

I’ve recently gone to Dragon Rogues, as they seal a bit better on my face for Utah faceshot days.

Did you check out VonZipper Fishbowl too? I heard it has the same or maybe bigger vision than EG2

VZ Feenom are what I have and they are tops. Spherical lense and large peripheral vision. THey are what im wearing in my avatar

I’ve bought some of these late last season from Torpedo7.  Have only used for 2 days.  While these are definitely not uber high-end goggles like the ones posted here, they would be a decent call for a spare pair, especially at the discounted price.  They have a spherical lens which is photochromatic (gets darker when the sun comes out).  The frame looks a bit cheap and the foam is not as nicely fitted as on a high-end goggle, but hey for $30 who’s complaining?

I use the rogues and they are pretty good. good wide view and easy to change the lens