The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Edge sharpening and snowboard waxing how often? how?

rider26 - 07 November 2011 12:53 AM

The only real reasons to get a base grind are if the base if no longer flat (base high or edge high) and/or your base edge is in serious need of a sharpen. Yes, it will remove surface scratches and minor cosmetic damage, but all of that can be fixed quickly with a p-tex gun by your local store. I wouldn’t go base grinding just to fix a few scratches.

I left my board for a bit too long without wax mid last season in whistler which caused the base to dry out a bit too much and was no longer flat - base grind definitely helped fix this. Was also the only time the edges were sharpened all season hahaha

rider26 - 07 November 2011 12:29 AM
finney - 06 November 2011 09:38 AM

I generally wax my boards every 3-4 days.

I’m about the same. Unless I know the next day is going to be an epic powder day. In that case, I always wax the night before.

Lester, have you read this waxing guide?

https://www.boardworld.com.au/snowboarding/content/category/snowboard-waxing-guide/

thanx rider26 I just looked at the waxing guide its very quick and simple

Mizu Kuma - 07 November 2011 06:03 AM

After scraping I buff with 3M Scotchbrite, usin in a direction from tip <> tail that also puts a fine ‘structure’ into the wax itself!!!!!!

Do you recommend this after using a brush or u using this instead of using a brush?

I use this after scrapin off the excess wax!!!!!

Buff in the same direction, nose to tail until you see it endin up with a wet look!!!!!

I have never used a brush!!!!!

If your board has a extruded base it wont absorb wax as the manufacturing process is more of a melting of the plastic and then forming the shape with moltern plastic, if its sintered it will take up alot more wax as the plastic base material is pressed under high pressure giving it the pores.
Its probably more useful to find out what type of base you have first, if its extruded I find its best to wax as often as possible as it really only sits on the surface until its worn off, Im finding with my current board that the sintered base lasts much longer after a good waxing.

Mizu Kuma - 07 November 2011 09:53 AM

I have never used a brush!!!!!

Nah.

Too easy.

I wax every 3-5 days usually, depending the snow conditions I rode the day before. After waxing and scraping I use a brush then just wipe it off with a ShamWow hahah.

Anyone have any hot waxes that they recommend or are they all the same, I just saw a few by Burton and it got me thinkin.. I know they go by temp also im looking for a all temp considering how the weather changes around here.

Lester86 - 08 November 2011 11:27 AM

Anyone have any hot waxes that they recommend or are they all the same, I just saw a few by Burton and it got me thinkin.. I know they go by temp also im looking for a all temp considering how the weather changes around here.

Just get a blue wax for Australia / SoHe

Used to use Oneballjay X-Wax Cold, but now I can’t get it anywhere here I’m usin Swix Blue Flourinated (probably what TJ means by blue wax)!!!!!

The Flourinated waxes are dearer, but so much betterer!!!!!

I have never tried the graphite stuff, as there is no way I could justify the price of it for how I ride!!!!! Hahahaa!!!!!

Swix flouro universal in bulk. Works a treat.

As Mizu mentioned, flouro waxes are more expensive but you’ll really feel the difference (speed, acceleration, maintaining momentum). If you’re unsure of your conditions, just get a universal temperature wax.

Bluebird Wax!

@rider: How do I know if I get a base/edge high situation and needed a base grind?

Some really good info in here. I might look into getting my own tuning set.

have used
swix | one ball jay | dakine |burton fluro - all temp

the only one i didnt like using was burton because it flaked weird when scrapping
dont know if it was weird batch or something but i aint going to buy it again

other than that…just get the cheapest fluorinated one