The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

feedback on my riding

(...continued)

right at 0:12 you stood up taller and began the nest turn with your upper body again.
and at 0:13 you can see the amount of angulation, compare that to what you saw at 0:11.

at 0:14 I expected to see that you stood up like you did at 0:12, but you hunched over just a bit before you did so…
Why did you make that movement?
You did so. to begin flattening the board back to the snow. There are other more effective ways to do this with lower body movement.

what I had mentioned earlier about wanting to see more of your knees bending throughout the turn…. if at this point, instead of hunching over to bring your body back to the board… if you bent both knees at the same time, to the same degree you would have the same effect. Creating a turn where the board is pulled back under you and your upper body stays in the same plane of travel instead what you are creating is the board staying in the same plane, and your body moving over the board… (see a cross-under turn vs cross-over turn).

I look forward to hearing other responses, and what Jeremy has to say…
I invite others to be open if they disagree with me, I’m learning too.
I enjoyed taking the time to do this, I hope I have the time in the future to do the same for others…
And possibly for myself as well.

Excellent feedback from snowslider. I will try not to give too much feedback as I don’t want to confuse you.

Dan, you have improved a lot from last season. Your technique and fluidity are much better in the videos from this season. I will give you my thoughts on the footage you have provided.

I feel your upper body is too static (not moving enough) and not leading your body into the turn sufficiently. I would suggest getting slightly more aggressive with your upper body movements. It doesn’t mean you have to make big movements, but rather subtle and strong. Be strong with your leading shoulder, get your upper body in a position to lead your lower body and snowboard into the turn. Initiate with the upper body, drive with the lower body.

In the first video, you are actually riding quite well. There are some minor technique flaws which have already been mentioned, but I think your main focus should now be on improving turn performance. That doesn’t mean technique correction, but what can your do to get more performance out of your snowboard? This brings you back to what snowslider was talking about. Read his comments again. wink

I would also suggest reading the following Boardworld articles. Start with this one: Improving Performance

https://www.boardworld.com.au/content/category/improving-performance/

Then work your way through Steering, Edging, Pressure Control, and Carving.

There is a lot of information to digest from the feedback in this thread and the articles I have suggested. Some of it you may not understand, but that is ok. Have a read through the feedback and the articles, have a think about some of the ideas and suggestions, then get back to us here. I am more than happy to keep discussing your riding, technique, and turn performance with you. If you have any questions please let us now.

rider26 - 20 August 2009 01:07 AM

If you have any questions please let us know.

rider, i got one. how do you think slider manages to type up a 2000 word analysis whilst having a newborn to take care of?:P
great stuff slider wink

Absolute love and passion for what he does. It’s inspiring.

Wow, thanks slider and rider for the great feedback!! Slider, your analysis was epic, great attention to detail, thanks. I have read over it a couple times and went through each point you raised in relation to the vid, it was very interesting and was a good way of stepping through each aspect of a turn. It will all take a while to digest like rider said. And I will get on to read the articles again (did a month or so ago) and these comments. Once Ive digested it all I will likely have some questions if thats cool? The good thing also is that I go to the snow again in 3 weeks so I will have plenty of time to let the comments sink in, and once I’m there, should hopefully be able to make some subtle changes to improve performance. Cheers guys smile

Any questions you ever have, please just ask. The more we can help you the better. That is what Boardworld is all about.

rider26 - 20 August 2009 01:50 AM

Absolute love and passion for what he does. It’s inspiring.

wait for a while and you might have another inspiring mini-snowslider wink

Hey Dan, a little late on this one…...firstly your style looks pretty good (relaxed etc), secondly, this slope is way too easy for you, your hardly getting out of second gear on it.  To really see where you need to improve your riding, amp up the difficulty and film yourself coming down trying to make regular rythmical turns.  The areas your doing well and the ones that need improvement will be readily apparent to you.  If you need any help on how to correct them then as Rider says, this is the place!
Anyways thanks for the vids and good work on the stylish riding.

I agree with Aidy’s comments here, the next video should show us your riding on a little more difficult terrain.

I do want to say what I may not have said in my HUGE post…
I think your turns are above average from I usually see on the hill, and I am glad that at this level you dont think you have learned all you need to know about making turns, controlling your board, and becoming a good snowboarder. So many dont even get to the level of control that you have, and they feel that all is left in snowboarding is freestyle, when there is so much more about turning and board control. Turns are so underrated. Freestyle is over-marketed and all that most riders want to do. But what about surviving at the top of the mountain in the steeps and the trees?
I always have the view that I’ve got much to learn about snowboarding… and that’s not because I cant hang with most park kids, not at all, Freestyle will come in time and the older I get, the longer it will take for freestyle skills to develop. I just dont bounce back as well, but I try.

Glad I can help a little bit, and I know topics like this benefit not only you and me, but many others as well.

snowslider - 27 August 2009 04:19 PM

Freestyle is over-marketed and all that most riders want to do. But what about surviving at the top of the mountain in the steeps and the trees?

I have to say that my turning technique is mediocre and i think you’ve raised an amazingly valid point there slider. But for some reason, i still feel like i cannot progress a lot further on turns but yet the satisfaction of landing a trick in the park is amazing. it is the same reason why i stopped skiing and started boarding… more progression, challenge and injuries :]

hey thanks for the encouragement!

See for me I do like freestyle but whenever i get to the snow I always focus more on the groomed runs and trying to improve my turns, I see that as way more important to progressing my boarding. I also love finding natural kickers etc on the runs. Somehow freestyle seems to get shafted and I try to do a bit in the last couple hours of the last day. As well I dont get to go to the snow much so sitting around waiting for a jump/rail just doesnt interest me that much.

I will hopefully get some more footage in 2 weeks on harder slopes. Supertrail at thredbo is solid, you reckon thats a good one to film on? I have to say though I was really disappointed at Remarkables, the blue runs were severely lacking. I also visited Cardrona and Coronet Peak, much better IMO.

Supertrail would be good. I would also recommend the wide open face at the top of Antons. It is groomed, wide, good to film, and an excellent pitch to be challenging your riding. Also technique flaws become more evident as you ride steeper terrain (meaning you will get good feedback).

golfpunklegend - 27 August 2009 11:03 PM
snowslider - 27 August 2009 04:19 PM

Freestyle is over-marketed and all that most riders want to do. But what about surviving at the top of the mountain in the steeps and the trees?

I have to say that my turning technique is mediocre and i think you’ve raised an amazingly valid point there slider. But for some reason, i still feel like i cannot progress a lot further on turns but yet the satisfaction of landing a trick in the park is amazing. it is the same reason why i stopped skiing and started boarding… more progression, challenge and injuries :]

GPL,
I think you need to consider taking a lesson to really uncover what you need to do to improve your turns. or different turns that you can learn.
But what you said about the satisfaction on landing a new trick is often a higher paycheck than the sensation of greater board control… but there is confidence in board control. Confidence takes you to doing more tricks etc.

yeah perhaps i should.
I never went onto a rail until i managed to get down black runs comfortably.
I recall my first 50-50 on a flat box at hotham. One of the best feelings i’ve had perhaps.
Looks like a lesson should be on board for my next trip.
thanks superdad wink

Be sure to ask for a certified instructor. That will help demand the presence of certified instructors (because in some places they dont require you to be certified to get the job) and you will get the best out of your lesson.