The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Favourite goggles?

nic - 14 August 2009 07:02 AM
snowslider - 14 August 2009 01:54 AM

I just checked Arnette’s website, apparently they dont make goggles anymore.

Wow, that means that I’ve seen some fairly old stock still hanging around. Any idea how long ago they stopped?

I dont know.
I havent seen much from them over the past years, and just decided to hit the site yesterday and apparently the stopped.
I havent seen much from Spy lately either.
I see a lot of ANON, Oakley and Dragon.. Then Smith and some Gordini and old ski brands like that and Carerra sometimes. There are some others I cant think of right now.

snowslider - 14 August 2009 02:37 PM
nic - 14 August 2009 07:02 AM
snowslider - 14 August 2009 01:54 AM

I just checked Arnette’s website, apparently they dont make goggles anymore.

Wow, that means that I’ve seen some fairly old stock still hanging around. Any idea how long ago they stopped?

I dont know.
I havent seen much from them over the past years, and just decided to hit the site yesterday and apparently the stopped.
I havent seen much from Spy lately either.
I see a lot of ANON, Oakley and Dragon.. Then Smith and some Gordini and old ski brands like that and Carerra sometimes. There are some others I cant think of right now.

Smith is hanging around and i see it a fair bit here on the aus slopes cos its a major cheaper brand of goggles sold in the good old “aussie disposals” store.
Carerra…. has been a while since i saw one WITHOUT a onepiece suit….

I hope smith isn’t being sold in aussie disposals here…

Over here in Radelaide it is basically Oakley, Electric, Dragon, and a little bit of anon & von zipper…one (of the two) burton retailers has anon but the other one doesn’t…

I have a pair of dragon dx’s that aren’t too bad, then got a pair of a-frames on sale that actually fit wayy better than I thought they were going to…and I have found are so much more comfortable than my dragons, with way more peripheral, and I like the spherical lenses too…only problem is that I only have a HI Yellow lens, so aren’t that great unless it’s cloudy out…

I would have preferred getting crowbars over the a-frames, but I am really happy with them at the moment, so may end up replacing the dx’s with a pair of crowbars at some stage later on…

Dragon is definately my favourtite brand of goggle. In my opinion they also make the best value goggle on the market. I have always used the DX but just got a new pair of the Rogue, they are awesome.

rider26 - 15 August 2009 03:22 AM

Dragon is definately my favourtite brand of goggle. In my opinion they also make the best value goggle on the market. I have always used the DX but just got a new pair of the Rogue, they are awesome.

I’ve got budget for an upgrade and am looking at the dragons.
I currently own a pair of Oakley Crowbars the Seth morrison edition.
Do you reckon a pair of Dragons would be much of an upgrade from that?

golfpunklegend - 15 August 2009 01:47 AM

Carerra…. has been a while since i saw one WITHOUT a onepiece suit….

LOL I guess there are a lot of old school skiers in my region then.

golfpunklegend - 15 August 2009 03:31 AM
rider26 - 15 August 2009 03:22 AM

I’ve got budget for an upgrade and am looking at the dragons.
I currently own a pair of Oakley Crowbars the Seth morrison edition.
Do you reckon a pair of Dragons would be much of an upgrade from that?

Oakley make a great goggle also. You can’t say one is better than the other. Personally my choice is Dragon because I like the style and they are very comfortable on my face. Try both, see which feels better. The Crowbars are quite a wide goggle, they don’t fit me well.

When it comes down to big brands the quality is generally pretty similar in the actual lens. Comfort and style is what it comes down to with many things.

You know the conversation we are having about Nike tapping into the boot making market…
Does anyone feel loyal to goggle companies like ANON who are owned and operated by snowboarders vs. a huge company that doesnt really need the snowboard market, like Oakley?

I raise this question, because loyalty is important, I think.
For example, if there was a goggle company that made a good product and they were Australian owned and operated and rider driven, wouldnt you want to support it? to see them grow and be a park of the industry?

Take for example a small town just on the outside of a larger town. If everyone in that small town stopped shopping inside that town, and went to the big town so they could have access to the Wal-marts and all the large stores, then al teh small stores in that small town would have to close for a lack of business. But that small store provided great customer service. They had employees that knew the customer and make you feel important when you walked in the door. They may not have had everything you needed right away, but were able to order it and wanted to make sure you got the right item that you needed…. etc.

So, does anyone feel that one more goggle company is more ‘core’ than another? or more loyal to snowboarding that we should respond and show some loyalty to them?

I’d go for whatever offers me the best value - quality and pricing.
For goggles, im not so fussed about the whole “who im supporting jizmo”.
However, as you said, if there was a company that “had employees that knew the customer and make you feel important when you walked in the door”, then sure, i’d probably pay for that customer service and support the “Australian owned and operated and rider driven”. However, the problem is, I don’t know of too many of these australian owned and operated and rider driven companies so its hard to support them if they dont get their names and prodcuts in local stores and what not.
Plus, i dont work in the industry so what i know of the snowboard industry is the minimal information given to me by the media about them.

I normally do go for the best quality-pricing gear. That being said if it was between an Australian brand that had the same quality at an extra $20 I’d definitely take the Australian brand.
When it comes to good quality service (not the that stuff’s over there type stuff) then yes I would be much more willing to pay extra in that shop than the less helpful shop.
I prefer to buy brands that are sport related rather than one that covers a range of sports.

nic - 15 August 2009 12:14 PM

I normally do go for the best quality-pricing gear. That being said if it was between an Australian brand that had the same quality at an extra $20 I’d definitely take the Australian brand.
When it comes to good quality service (not the that stuff’s over there type stuff) then yes I would be much more willing to pay extra in that shop than the less helpful shop.
I prefer to buy brands that are sport related rather than one that covers a range of sports.

I’d honestly wouldnt pay an extra 20 bucks for australian if both items were of same quality.
Maybe if i had more dough my opinion might change though.
Nic, does that mean Oakleys are not your thing?

golfpunklegend - 15 August 2009 12:25 PM
nic - 15 August 2009 12:14 PM

I’d honestly wouldnt pay an extra 20 bucks for australian if both items were of same quality.
Maybe if i had more dough my opinion might change though.
Nic, does that mean Oakleys are not your thing?

As sunnies I wear them but I don’t prefer them to other brands as snowboard goggles. I don’t like that swivel joint that they do with the band on many of their goggles but if they had a nice pair which I thought were better than another I would buy them.

I think its their wisdoms that have it and its supossed to create for a better fit.
What goggles do you ride?

Von zipper feenoms, might get a new pair at end of season sales though. See how I go.