The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Work/accom in whistler

Most jobs have the interviews etc done in OCT, but you should be able to resolve it all over the phone.

golfpunklegend - 11 August 2009 01:49 PM

I was all about the idea but nothing on information or anything.
But looking at the casi website, i read that it doesnt take a lot fo time to become a level 1 instructor.
By becoming a level 1 instructor, is it easy to find as job straight after that?

Many resorts in the US dont demand that you have the certification at the time of interview and hire.
In fact in order to take the class you are supposed to have a supervisor sign the form for you to attend.

I dont know how it is for internationals, but August is what I had always been told would be the right time to be asking around for employment details. But again, I dont know about internationals.

Typically to get a job in a ski school you may not get a full 40 hours of work each day. It all depends on how the resort has the classes lined up and if you will even get those classes. It is tempting to not work, because if you are not teaching a class, then you are out on the hill riding and having fun.
Many international instructors I know have also taken a job in the evenings at a restraunt or shop at the resort to help make ends meet.

Personally I think being an instructor is the way to go even if you have to work another job in the evenings, so what. You might just sit around and drink your money away if you diddnt have an evening job.

The certification will be after you take a class sometime during that year.
funny thing is that you have to pay attention to WHERE the class for certification is being offered. Dont assume that the mountain you are working at will offer it. You may have to travel to the location of the event, and that costs money too. I know that for AASI you can visit teh website and they will have a list of the classes offered and locations on the website.
If you need the information sooner than they print it, just call the phone number on the website and I am sure the office people will assist you. You can also try to contact them by email for information about the mountains that wil definitely offer the level 1 test that season.

Thats some good advice about becoming an instructor Rider and Snowslider. Maybe I would also have a chance at getting level 1?

I think that every rider who is able to maintain control,
willing to learn what they are teaching you and show improvement,
display the ability to provide customer service to the resort guests,
communicate effectively,
and have a good time.

can pass the level 1 AASI.

But as Jeremy said, Level II - a very different story.
Level 1 is understanding of the techniques.
Level II is application of the techniques.
(application in every or any way that they ask you to apply it).

Is there a level higher than level II? If so what does it entail?

snowslider - 12 August 2009 05:00 AM
golfpunklegend - 11 August 2009 01:49 PM

I was all about the idea but nothing on information or anything.
But looking at the casi website, i read that it doesnt take a lot fo time to become a level 1 instructor.
By becoming a level 1 instructor, is it easy to find as job straight after that?

Many resorts in the US dont demand that you have the certification at the time of interview and hire.
In fact in order to take the class you are supposed to have a supervisor sign the form for you to attend.

I dont know how it is for internationals, but August is what I had always been told would be the right time to be asking around for employment details. But again, I dont know about internationals.

Typically to get a job in a ski school you may not get a full 40 hours of work each day. It all depends on how the resort has the classes lined up and if you will even get those classes. It is tempting to not work, because if you are not teaching a class, then you are out on the hill riding and having fun.
Many international instructors I know have also taken a job in the evenings at a restraunt or shop at the resort to help make ends meet.

Personally I think being an instructor is the way to go even if you have to work another job in the evenings, so what. You might just sit around and drink your money away if you diddnt have an evening job.

The certification will be after you take a class sometime during that year.
funny thing is that you have to pay attention to WHERE the class for certification is being offered. Dont assume that the mountain you are working at will offer it. You may have to travel to the location of the event, and that costs money too. I know that for AASI you can visit teh website and they will have a list of the classes offered and locations on the website.
If you need the information sooner than they print it, just call the phone number on the website and I am sure the office people will assist you. You can also try to contact them by email for information about the mountains that wil definitely offer the level 1 test that season.

Thanks slider. On that note, could i quote you for my 2000 word english essay raspberry
That information is really useful. This is stuff that websites dont say and i really appreciate it.
Im not sure if this question is suitable to be answered publicly on forums, but what is the average pay for a level 1 instructor?
Im only curious because you said that a lot of international instructors take night/evening jobs and i’d assumed that its hard to live off an instructor’s pay.

nic - 12 August 2009 09:09 AM

Is there a level higher than level II? If so what does it entail?

Im gonna go ahead and guess level III raspberry

In Canada it goes up to level 4. I was training for level 3 this past season. The riding is very technical, as is the teaching. Check out the CASI website, they explain everything in more detail and also have videos of the riding standard for each level.

Thanks for everything mate. A great help.
Sorry if i strayed off the original thread

Going back to accomodation

I’ve got tones on friends needing rooms in Whistler for this season. If anyone has a free room in their house, let us know! Thanks

The Pique magazine comes out every Thursday in Whistler, so check it out early morning Friday if you are in NZ or Australia to be in early each week!

Hey guys,

I have been informed that there are a few accomodation spots still available in Whistler for the upcoming season. I know how hard it is to find good accomodation in Whistler. If you are looking for a place to stay please check out http://www.24-7snow.info/

Make sure you get in quick.

Question for Jeremy or anyone else who might know…

To work in Whistler apparently you need to bring a ‘criminal record check’ with you from Aus. Website below.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/jobs/bring.htm

I have never heard that this is required before, did those that worked in Canada need to get a criminal record check??

I found the AFP website, which has a form etc to get a National Police Check (website below). I assume this is detail needed to work in Whistler/Canada?

http://www.afp.gov.au/business/national_police_checks.html

Thanks guys smile

Hey Dan,

Yes you need to get a police record check to work in Canada. Your employer will have to see it before you can start work. They are quite easy to get; just go to your local police station with a few forms of ID. Tell them you need a police record check to work overseas - it’s standard. I think it costs approx $60.

If you need to know anything else let me know.

Cheers man. Will get it sorted.