The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Helmets

After smashing the back of my head on an edge of a box for the 3rd time I finally decided to swallow my pride and buy a helmet.
I saw a few people wearing helmets that looked like they were covered in fabric.
I saw a pinstriped one and a chequered one as well.
Does anyone know the brand?

cheeers

s10gry - 03 August 2009 06:54 AM

After smashing the back of my head on an edge of a box for the 3rd time I finally decided to swallow my pride and buy a helmet.

Can’t help you with the cloth type helmet but was more interested in your comment about “swallowing your pride” - mate there’s no shame in wearing one, plus helmet nowadays look quite cool smile If it helps you progress to become a better park rider then good on you!

I would rather be wearing one then not if I smacked my head on the corner of anything whilst riding! At least you know you are going to get up again.

I’d prefer an skull without dents over pride any day.

I’d prefer a skull without dents over pride any day.

Burton/red had some cloth covered versions in their range last year or year before i think….probably still do….check their website

nic - 03 August 2009 07:06 AM

I’d prefer an skull without dents over pride any day.

Swallow your pride?

IMO helmets are pretty stylish these days + they keep your head dry.

Im planning on buying one when overseas. Does it feel awkward riding with a helmet for the first time? How long does it take until you’re use to it?

I’ve always used a helmet and the only thing I notice different when I’m not wearing
it is that I hear better and my head gets a lot, lot colder. A lot of newer style helmets
just look like thick beanies with shiny graphics to me most of the time.

I saw a few people wearing helmets that looked like they were covered in fabric.
I saw a pinstriped one and a chequered one as well.
Does anyone know the brand?

cheeers

Im not sure if someone may have said this before but the helmets covered in fabrics were most likely just had a helmet cover over it.
You should check out some helemts by burton with “subwoofers”. They’re pretty sweet and i’d second the notion of “not having dents in my head”

I am quite sure the fabric patterns you saw were RED helmets. As Banger mentioned they were doing fabrics on some of their helmets. I am checking out the 2010 RED range tomorrow and I will let you know about the styles.

I bought a helmet on Friday for my trip down to Perisher this weekend. Got a white RED Hi-Fi from the lovely people at Ess Parramatta.

Didn’t use it Saturday but threw it on Sunday and I’ve gotta say, I’m never not wearing it again, one I look pretty awsome (modest much?) and two the in built headphones kick ass!

Oh, and I was alot more confident, I thought I bombed alot harder down the mountain and progressed rather quickly for the day, was beating some mates in a downhill dash even though I’ve only been boarding for 2 days for the last two seasons.

Here’s a pic:

Room for headphones without as much of a worry of smashing them are also a plus.
And yes that photo looks pretty awesome.

rider26 - 03 August 2009 09:35 AM

I am quite sure the fabric patterns you saw were RED helmets. As Banger mentioned they were doing fabrics on some of their helmets. I am checking out the 2010 RED range tomorrow and I will let you know about the styles.

I take it you’re up at FC. Take photos if you can.

HOMEWORK - 03 August 2009 08:25 AM

Im planning on buying one when overseas. Does it feel awkward riding with a helmet for the first time? How long does it take until you’re use to it?

Been wearing one since 1999 - couldn’t imagine riding without one.
Re: how it took to get used to it, I would say straight away - I think a good sign is when you are riding you do not realise you are wearing one - I got that feeling on my 1st run - just kinda forget about it more then anything.

treynolds - 03 August 2009 09:46 AM

I

Oh, and I was alot more confident, I thought I bombed alot harder down the mountain and progressed rather quickly for the day, was beating some mates in a downhill dash even though I’ve only been boarding for 2 days for the last two seasons.

hehhe I hope when you were hammering on the downhill you were “in control” smile

kort - 03 August 2009 10:28 AM

hehhe I hope when you were hammering on the downhill you were “in control” smile

Hahaha deffos, toeside the whole way down I was so low I was in the running for limbo champion…

I highly recommend a helmet, make sure it’s light though, you don’t feel it on your head while riding and it’s better than wearing a beanie!!

Love the getup.
Where did you get the bandana from?
I think they got a website somewhere but I would like to know if there are any stores around that stock them?