The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Your worst injury at the snow

nic - 05 August 2009 01:05 PM

Sounds like it is more one of those ones that once it happens it keeps recurring until
you bite the bullet and have surgery.

My options were…..

1. Operation to put a screw in it straight away, be in a cast for 6 weeks, and it should be right after that.

2. If i wanted to try and avoid an operation, i could have my arm in a cast for 8 weeks.
But if it hadnt healed at that point i would then have to have a bone graft taken out of my hip, put in my wrist, screwed and then in a cast for another 6 weeks.

I took the screw straight up.

EvanL - 05 August 2009 01:10 PM
nic - 05 August 2009 01:05 PM

Sounds like it is more one of those ones that once it happens it keeps recurring until
you bite the bullet and have surgery.

My options were…..

1. Operation to put a screw in it straight away, be in a cast for 6 weeks, and it should be right after that.

2. If i wanted to try and avoid an operation, i could have my arm in a cast for 8 weeks.
But if it hadnt healed at that point i would then have to have a bone graft taken out of my hip, put in my wrist, screwed and then in a cast for another 6 weeks.

I took the screw straight up.

Sounds a bit like my knee reconstruction a couple of years ago. Try to stay off it for
2+ months and hope for healing or have clean up surgery, I opted for the latter.

Evan did your wrist still feel sore after you had the cast off and if it was how long was it sore for? I had my cast of last week for my scaphoid and my wrist is still pretty gimped

pwat42 - 06 August 2009 12:51 AM

Evan did your wrist still feel sore after you had the cast off and if it was how long was it sore for? I had my cast of last week for my scaphoid and my wrist is still pretty gimped

It was a few years ago now but from memory it wasnt too sore.
I didnt have the same range of motion as my other wrist though.
It was also pretty weak, i remember trying to do chin-ups and i had no strength in it.
I guess that was also due to 6 or 7 weeks in a cast with no mobility.

So yeah, it took a few months to be right again with the odd ache here and there.
But now its 100%, no pain or anything and i wouldnt even know i had broken it.

Does that count?
It could be a bad injury… or it could sure lead to a bad injury. (I hope it doesnt).

I have been boarding for 18 years now and never had a “serious” injury, stiff and sore a few too many times, but never really hurt.

Thought I was going to be today, the snow is slushy and fun and there are lots of rocks and stuff to jib off, did the silly thing and went for it without spotting the landing, how I missed the big rock is beyond me!!!!!!

#1 Daughter is having a few days off with a sprained wrist and a really cool graze on her face from a good tumble on the rider X course last week.

Tambazz - 06 August 2009 02:31 AM

Does that count?
It could be a bad injury… or it could sure lead to a bad injury. (I hope it doesnt).[/b

I have been boarding for 18 years now and never had a “serious” injury, stiff and sore a few too many times, but never really hurt.

Thought I was going to be today, the snow is slushy and fun and there are lots of rocks and stuff to jib off, did the silly thing and went for it without spotting the landing, how I missed the big rock is beyond me!!!!!!

#1 Daughter is having a few days off with a sprained wrist and a really cool graze on her face from a good tumble on the rider X course last week.

Doubt she’s two impressed with the ‘cool’ graze raspberry How you’ve gone 18 years without a serious injury allures me, good work.

snowslider - 04 August 2009 11:31 PM
Skiing makes me Board - 04 August 2009 09:40 PM

I understand the pain of split shins. I did it coming off a box 4 years ago and still have a scar 3 inches long. (from top of boots). I couldn’t feel anything to the right of the scar and it took 2 years for the nerves to grow back. Is still sensitive when I touch the gaping hole that was left…

WWP = Worthless without pics.
I want to see the gaping hole!
If you can get a good pics of it. scars are interesting.

My close friend who is like my second favorite riding buddy (my wife is my favorite), he broke his wrist and had a nice thin ‘S’ shaped scar on the top of his wrist… with little dots to the sides from the stitches… perfect for a snowboarder!

ok so seeing spaz hasnt got picks up (yet! lol) and you reckon that WWP is the call and then I went and made this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBceLPmk-k&feature=channel_page

does that mean Im your vote for worst injury? at least until they get their pics in hahahahah

I wouldnt watch that link if you dont like blood, although i edited out some of the worst bits…..

CRACKERS - 06 August 2009 02:49 PM

I understand the pain of split shins. I did it coming off a box 4 years ago and still have a scar 3 inches long. (from top of boots). I couldn’t feel anything to the right of the scar and it took 2 years for the nerves to grow back. Is still sensitive when I touch the gaping hole that was left…

My close friend who is like my second favorite riding buddy (my wife is my favorite), he broke his wrist and had a nice thin ‘S’ shaped scar on the top of his wrist… with little dots to the sides from the stitches… perfect for a snowboarder!

ok so seeing spaz hasnt got picks up (yet! lol) and you reckon that WWP is the call and then I went and made this

does that mean Im your vote for worst injury? at least until they get their pics in hahahahah

I wouldnt watch that link if you dont like blood, although i edited out some of the worst bits…..

Pretty bad video, nasty cut!
Rails dont forgive.

CRACKERS - 06 August 2009 02:49 PM

That must have killed. It looks worse than it sounded!

Nothing terrible, fingers crossed.

Two sprains, one wrist sprain from doing a yard sale while riding switch, spraining my pinky finger from running into a chunk of ice at high speed (in a foreign country).