The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Your worst injury at the snow

Skiing makes me Board - 04 August 2009 09:40 PM

I understand the pain of split shins. I did it coming off a box 4 years ago and still have a scar 3 inches long. (from top of boots). I couldn’t feel anything to the right of the scar and it took 2 years for the nerves to grow back. Is still sensitive when I touch the gaping hole that was left…

WWP = Worthless without pics.
I want to see the gaping hole!
If you can get a good pics of it. scars are interesting.

My close friend who is like my second favorite riding buddy (my wife is my favorite), he broke his wrist and had a nice thin ‘S’ shaped scar on the top of his wrist… with little dots to the sides from the stitches… perfect for a snowboarder!

Hahaha, ive got that exactly Snowslider.
Although mine is on the inside of my wrist.
As i mentioned earlier in the thread, from a busted scaphoid.

Bruised hip from a fail 180 off big kicker. That’s about it. I now suit up big time, knee pads, hip/bum protections, full body torso armou (spine/back protector has saved me heaps) and helmet. I take some nasty falls/crashes and get up ride away these days.

spaz - 04 August 2009 05:14 PM

In Aust, the snow is almost always bad and crowded, you’ld think we’d have better bigger parks!

Interschools time is the worst. I happen to go up to buller during interschools period every year and the queue for a chairlift ride…..undescribable.
The landings of the jumps are always chopped up by noon and the halfpipe will be wrecked heaps early as well.

spaz - 04 August 2009 04:59 PM

My tongue must have spread sideways or found gaps were my teeth don’t line up, it had two cuts on either side that allowed a piece of my tongue about 15mm long on both sides to flap about. You can’t stitch a tongue and yeah. there is a good blood supply because I left a trail of red on the snow to my home. I couldn’t eat or speak for a week, even drinking water was a delicate process. I can still feel the scar because it lies along my bite line. It happened 10 years ago.

That must have been very painful. Did it ever give you speech trouble? I know when you bite your tongue it can be hard to talk. Either way it must have been bad. Did it swell up quite a lot?

I had a really nasty hangover last Saturday and had to go to work….................................

In Aust, the snow is almost always bad and crowded, you’ld think we’d have better bigger parks!

I agree, i think most of the Aussie parks are crap and/or in bad postions so you have to catch a lift for 10mins to get to 2 jumps

CRACKERS - 05 August 2009 09:43 AM

I agree, i think most of the Aussie parks are crap and/or in bad postions so you have to catch a lift for 10mins to get to 2 jumps

Yup. They are often so poorly arranged. However, Falls Creek is my favourite of all for the park.
I reckon a resort should jump onto the bandwagon of having a dedicated t-bar/poma for their park

Tambazz - 05 August 2009 08:12 AM

I had a really nasty hangover last Saturday and had to go to work….................................

Worst injury(?) ever? Definitely right up there on the pain factor

EvanL - 05 August 2009 03:57 AM

Hahaha, ive got that exactly Snowslider.
Although mine is on the inside of my wrist.
As i mentioned earlier in the thread, from a busted scaphoid.

Evan,
That’s beautiful actually!
Nice little snowboard tracks - FIRST TRACKS!
LOL

Does that count?
It could be a bad injury… or it could sure lead to a bad injury. (I hope it doesnt).

snowslider - 05 August 2009 12:33 PM
EvanL - 05 August 2009 03:57 AM

Does that count?
It could be a bad injury… or it could sure lead to a bad injury. (I hope it doesnt).

I reckon working on saturdays is an injury in one’s anus. And on top of that, tamb had a hangover…. that pain factors definitely gotta be up there with Spaz’s 3-pieced tongue….

The 3-piece tongue is so far the injury that’s made me cringe the most. Shin injuries also would be a nightmare though.
Is the scaphoid injury quite common?

nic - 05 August 2009 12:48 PM

The 3-piece tongue is so far the injury that’s made me cringe the most. Shin injuries also would be a nightmare though.
Is the scaphoid injury quite common?

I think I have heard that the thumb / wrist is the most common, and then the collar bone is a close runner up.
But I’ve heard more about shoulders myself. I think the thumb are beginner’s injuries - no offense, just commonly occurring in learners. To Injure the scaphoid, that has to be quite a serious impact.

It seems to be a bit common in snowboarding and i think motorcyle riders too. There are a few MotoGP riders who get the injury, Casey Stoner comes to mind.
Must be the way we fall is similar or something.
Its also a notoriously hard bone to heal. Something to do with blood flow to it.

........ does a quick Wikipedia search.
“The Scaphoid has its own blood flow unlike other carpal bones. Blood flows from the top of the bone; if this blood flow is disrupted by a fracture, the bone may not heal. Surgery is necessary at this point to mechanically mend the bone together.”

Mine came from an over rotated backside 3, but it wasnt even real big. I just caught a heel edge and an automatic reaction was to put an arm out to break your fall.
It hurt, but no more than a sprain. I rode the rest of the arvo, back to the car, boots off, drove home.
Hurt a bit overnight and the next day i thought id better get it checked out.

Sounds like it is more one of those ones that once it happens it keeps recurring until
you bite the bullet and have surgery.