The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Your worst injury at the snow

The first few years I dislocated my right shoulder 7 times (old rugby injury), hit a tree and was paralised for 20 min and bit my tongue in 3 when my knee hit my chin.

In the last few years; caught my toe edge and landed on my DSLR, it was on a shoulder strap, compressed my rib cage and bruised a lunge - luckily didn’t puncture. Landed badly on my hip off a jump and threw my hip, back and ribs out and could barley move - drove to Sydney in pain for medical help.

But the worst was last year when I tore my calf on the first run of the first day- one of the worst pain I’ve felt - boarded off the hill, limped home. Still is knotted and fills with lactic acid and cramps when I ride.

I got concussed on my 2nd backflip attempt at The Remarkables.

Dislocated shoulder again at The Remarkables I forgot what I was doing.. Broken arm at snowpark, screwed up a rail raspberry

Thats bout it, my shoulder still occasionally hurts even though the injury was 2 years ago. I should probably be more careful. Haha

snowslider - 02 August 2009 05:20 PM
nic - 02 August 2009 11:35 AM
CRACKERS - 02 August 2009 11:26 AM

Probably the worst thing was landing shin first on a rail and splitting the skin off my shin….didnt break anything but needed 28 stitches, when i first did it i somehow convinced myself it was just bruised (just like a kick in soccer or something) and i rode for another hr,when i got home and looked my white thermels were stained bright red…..unrucky!

That must have killed! You managed to ride for another hour? Your pain threshold must be heaps higher than mine, lol.

That is a serious FEAR. I wore some soccer shin guards a couple times when learning to ride rails, and I was thankful that I did.

Haha I did that too. I still occasionally do if I’m going to try some of the really hard rails, or if I’m going to try a new trick.

spaz - 02 August 2009 07:35 PM

The first few years I dislocated my right shoulder 7 times (old rugby injury), hit a tree and was paralised for 20 min and bit my tongue in 3 when my knee hit my chin.

Do you mean literally bit it into 3 pieces? If so did they just kind of stitch it back together?

nic - 03 August 2009 06:47 AM

Do you mean literally bit it into 3 pieces? If so did they just kind of stitch it back together?

I hope not…. cos that would be grotty as.
would tongues grow back?

golfpunklegend - 03 August 2009 08:08 AM

would tongues grow back?

having a medical background, in a word, no. no chance
however the mouth does have a really good blood supply so things heal really well

If this topic was a contest, Spaz would have won HANDS DOWN!

...well, He’d get my vote.
Send him another sticker!
smile

Worst thing I have done is tear my supraspinatus (rotator cuff) and sprain my mcl all in one go. How I did that you may ask!! I was taken out by one of the kids I was teaching in Whistler this past season smile Kid had a lot of speed and momentum going

Personally, worst injury was a broken thumb after landing on it at Baw Baw when I was about 10…apart from that just bruises (luckily…)

However, the worst injury to someone I know was at Baw Baw that year, at the same time as mine, where my uncle was rushing back to the medical centre because my Aunt had popped her shoulder out (our group of 3 families were all in the medical centre after this raspberry), he cut across through the trees between two of the runs, discovered it was only a thin snow coverage over (very sharp) shale, stacked, and ended up slicing his knee open on the corner of a big piece, making a big Y shaped gash completely exposing his kneecap.

Filled with grit etc, ski patrol came and got him, his pants and right boot were literally full of blood, they couldn’t air lift him out because there was a storm coming in, so my aunt (with her freshly popped in shoulder) had to drive their 4wd down the mountain (having never driven with chains in a normal car let alone a 4WD) and get to the hospital…not fun…

anyway being kicked out of the uni computer pools…so long story short that is the worst injury I have been involved in…

antt321 - 03 August 2009 06:15 AM
snowslider - 02 August 2009 05:20 PM
nic - 02 August 2009 11:35 AM
CRACKERS - 02 August 2009 11:26 AM

Probably the worst thing was landing shin first on a rail and splitting the skin off my shin….didnt break anything but needed 28 stitches, when i first did it i somehow convinced myself it was just bruised (just like a kick in soccer or something) and i rode for another hr,when i got home and looked my white thermels were stained bright red…..unrucky!

That must have killed! You managed to ride for another hour? Your pain threshold must be heaps higher than mine, lol.

That is a serious FEAR. I wore some soccer shin guards a couple times when learning to ride rails, and I was thankful that I did.

Haha I did that too. I still occasionally do if I’m going to try some of the really hard rails, or if I’m going to try a new trick.

I only managed to ride for another hour because i hadnt looked at it and because i was also slightly concussed. Funny thing was i got picked up by my gf and house mate and they drove me all the way home (maybe 30mins) and then made me lunch and a cup of tea before i looked , I thought i was doing ok until i got up to out to the car to go to hospital and i black out and fell over…..i was actually filming, ill see if i can find it and post it up. When i got to the hospital the stupid nurse said ” sorry we cant help you without a passport”....i said oh thats ok ill just sit here and keep dripping blood on your floor then, luckily a docter came by and told her off and took me to get patched up. Worst thing is he recognised me from the knee operation, two broken tail bones, concussion, dislocated thumbs that id been in for over the 18mths before…...still looking through some of the injurys you other guys have posted , i like kind of lucky now! ripping a farking calf right off? breaking my spine? biting my tongue in three?stuff that !

have any of your guys that have worn shin pads ever fallen on them? I just started doing some basic boxes and stuff again and though about it…even just for the confidence of knowing you have them on. Im quietly suspecting a hell of a lot of people wear them.

Shin pads work quite well kind of feels like getting hit with a cricket ball in cricket pads.

Butters - 03 August 2009 01:02 PM
golfpunklegend - 03 August 2009 08:08 AM

would tongues grow back?

having a medical background, in a word, no. no chance
however the mouth does have a really good blood supply so things heal really well

My tongue must have spread sideways or found gaps were my teeth don’t line up, it had two cuts on either side that allowed a piece of my tongue about 15mm long on both sides to flap about. You can’t stitch a tongue and yeah. there is a good blood supply because I left a trail of red on the snow to my home. I couldn’t eat or speak for a week, even drinking water was a delicate process. I can still feel the scar because it lies along my bite line. It happened 10 years ago.

CRACKERS - 04 August 2009 03:35 AM

have any of your guys that have worn shin pads ever fallen on them? I just started doing some basic boxes and stuff again and though about it…even just for the confidence of knowing you have them on. Im quietly suspecting a hell of a lot of people wear them.

I sure have and it’s quite reassuring to have had it there. I recall thinking “I’m glad I had the shin guard on, and I can now continue to ride rather than having to call it quits for the park for the day.”

When really most of the time I’m only in the park because The snow on the mountain is bad, or it’s too crowded.

In Aust, the snow is almost always bad and crowded, you’ld think we’d have better bigger parks!

I understand the pain of split shins. I did it coming off a box 4 years ago and still have a scar 3 inches long. (from top of boots). I couldn’t feel anything to the right of the scar and it took 2 years for the nerves to grow back. Is still sensitive when I touch the gaping hole that was left…