The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Mission binding setup

Hey all,
I’ve got ‘06 Missions (large) and I think a size 9.5 or 10 Ruler boot.
Now I rode them 2 weeks in NZ when they were new, and then for some reason (I think the toecaps were slipping upwards off the toe of the boot) someone at ESS Jindy took the toecaps off, and swapped them, so the left toecap was on the right binding, and they were upside down. That seems to work for a while, and the ratchets do line up better with the straps, BUT now the toecaps will fall off downwards and I’ll have no toe control when that happens.
I find it strange that two Burton products would be seemingly incompatible.
I can probably post some pics if required, just wondering what everyone thought/any experience with the same problem
At the moment they’re back to standard, and do seem more secure, but I havn’t ridden on them yet.

The reason it’s happening is because your boots are really small for the bindings. Size 9.5 boots should be in a medium binding, size 10 is borderline for medium and large. Regardless, your boots are small for large bindings. You have to make sure the straps are on the shortest setting. Not only that, make sure the strap is inserted into the groove closer to the heel edge. This will ensure the straps are on the shortest possible setting, allowing you to get them tight. Some people do flip the capstraps over because apparently they hold on better that way, personally I have never tried.

Yeh I didn’t really know much about these things when I got them, just got whatever the dude in the shop said fitted.
I’ve moved the toecap onto the second shortest setting, and moved the straps back in the groove closer to the heel. They do seem more secure than before, but I’ll let you know if it works.
With the capstraps all the tension is along the front of the boot normally, but when they’re flipped it’s applying a more downwards pressure, hence they slip off the toe of the boot. I’d rather they slipped backwards a bit, at least there’s some control there, as opposed to none.
If they still suck, then I guess it’s new binding time =)

With the toe strap in the shortest setting would it still fall off the toe of the boot?
I agree with Jeremy, it seems that your boot is too small for that binding.
But it really shouldnt happen, I wear a 9 in a medium binding, but I think Burton says a large is OK for a size 10.
http://www.burton.com/Gear/Default.aspx#/gear/productdetail/mens/bindings/10984/214943009/sizing/
Here is the sizing chart, it says that size 10+ is for large.

There should be different slots that the strap fits in, like different settings for the strap, and I wonder if you can change this setting. I’m not talking about the length of the strap, but where the strap is positioned on the binding.

you can see what I mean in this photo where it shows the different setting options for the heel strap, there should be a similar way to change it for the toe strap.

If you are unsure how to exactly, any Burton dealer shop should be able to show you how.
Older styles required the binding to be removed from the board. Newer styles you push the strap down into the board and slide it in the preferred direction.

OK wait, this picture is better:

See where the strap enters the side of the binding, there should be different settings on which it can be placed. I would suggest placing it on the setting closest to your foot / the farthest back.

As it is now (with the capstraps on the standard way, and the straps set towards the heel), it won’t fall forwards off the boot, but with some reasonably strong pressure will come up over the toe of the boot. The only problem I can forsee is that the angle at which the capstrap is pulled around the boot is a bit different to the angle at which the strap enters the ratchet, so it won’t tighten as much before it starts slipping.
I’ll have to take some photos and post them for you guys