The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Joy of Sport

Where did we lose sight of the joy of doing sport for the sake of the effort and the challenge?

i was never the best at sports, but had a crack

I remember school sport - unless you were the fastest runner, swimmer, highest jumper, longest leaper, best thrower, kicker, passer, try score-er, skater or surfer it usually came down to the fact that it wasn’t worth competing because you weren’t going to win or be the best.

A lot of peer pressure and bullying killed any competitive spirit some people had.

that then also leads to the fact that striving to be the best or a winner - you have to put too much effort in for no reward - esp if you are not naturally gifted. this effort becomes laborious and boring

i never thought i would enjoy swimming 40 laps of a pool, mainly because it is too hard, too much effort and for what
i never though i would enjoy running 10, 21 or 35km

One of the human conditions is to achieve or rise to the challenge and succeed
Even with snowboarding i lost my mojo for it and i believe because i was trying too hard to be better or disillusioned that i’ll never hit a 70ft jump back side 1080 triple corked mcmuffin flurry feast

i had a couple of days this season where it all clicked and came back, just enjoying the moment and effort - a few things fell into place and it didn’t matter i wasn’t going large i was enjoying the ride.

i got the same feeling last year when i did a few 10km, 21km fun runs - i actually enjoyed the effort and challenge. i know i will never “win” the event, but it was good to be a finisher.

the same with my swimming and cycling at the moment - just the fun and enjoying the effort

i think too much emphasis is put on being the winner or the best, instead of enjoying the challenge

agreed! I’m a PE teacher and could go on about this for many hours…but I won’t…I agree with you though completely, caboose!

Great comment Caboose. As with your regime item which has encouraged me in my recovery and fitness

Enjoy the ride! Be free! smile

I am enjoying to read the post. This post helped me very much. It has a lot of knowledge.

I am having joy playing cricket, but also i enjoy betting it with https://in.parimatch.com/en/ and that is what i really love. Parimatch safeguard your personal information and offer secure payment methods. Also check that the site is properly licensed.