The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Camera care at the snow?

Hi all,

I’ll be heading up to Buller in a few weeks, and was thinking of taking my DSLR up and getting a few photos my my mates boarding, and maybe head to the parks to catch some tricks etc.

I was just wondering if there were any special care techniques I should worry about when I’m at the snow? I’m assuming the cold and snow are going to have some sort of affect on the camera. I’ve heard of fogging and water damage etc. I’ve also heard of things like keeping the camera and lenses in a zip-lock bag to avoid fogging or whatever?

I’ve spent a few grand on my camera gear, so I was just sort of hoping to get any tips on ways to avoid any damage.

Cheers

Rob

Ive got my DSLR in a Lowepro over the shoulder backpack. Its got a bit of padding around it and the compartments.
I then put that in my Dakine full backpack. Mainly for ease of carrying while riding. I spose an extra layer of protection cant hurt either.

Ive never really had any trouble with cameras at the snow.
From old SLR’s, to little digiatal point and shoots, to my new DSLR (only 1 weekend).
Never fogged or anything.

The only thing i would suggest (which im sure is obvious) is be careful changing lenses on the mountain. With gusts of winds etc. you dont want ice/snow getting inside your camera on the sensor/mirror/lens.
If i change mine i try to do it protected inside my backpack. Even on a bluebird day with no wind you never know when some goose is going to shoot by and spray snow everywhere.

If you have spare batteries keep them warm in your chest pocket.
If you’ve been shooting outside don’t bring your camera out in the lodge, keep it in its insulated bag or you will get condensation.  (think cold glass of coke)
Never really used zip lock bags so if you do tell us how it goes.

I always keep a few silica packs in my bag with my equip just incase there is any moisture build up.  Make sure if you get anything on you lens you clean in properly dont just wipe it with you shirt, gloves (especially not you goggle squeegee)  Take the time and care that you would show your camera when you at taking pics of your grandmas tulip garden.  At the end of the day its best to pull your camera out of your bag (once it has warmed up at a reasonable rate as f@tony mentioned)  and let it sit out over night with its protective covers on, just to allow any moisture that may have built up to dry out.

Dont be scared that if you get a little snow on your camera that its going to be screwed, you have to take chances to find your limits.  If you do end up dropping it in a snow bank, creek or your hot choc as your reviewing the pics that night.  Shut down the power, pull out your batteries, and place your unit near a fan but not directly in front of it, leave the bat door and memory card doors open to allow moisture to escape, and I cant stress this leave it there for days if you can.  You want the moisture to naturally dissipate if you rush it you chance frying the works or loosing all your shots.  Dont use a blow dryer to try and speed things up, this is just something you will have to wait on. 

I would stay away from sealing my camera in a non breathable case (unless going out into open water areas) I just think haveing things breath is better but that is just my opinion others may think differently.

Most awesome (a word I used loosely) thing I’ve seen is guy on the net waterproofing his point and shoot by tying it in some condoms, the kind without lubrication, with a cut toilet roll so the lens can zoom in and out.  Someone really needs to try it to see if it works.  smile

Shooting through a condom would certainly give you that soft lighting effect.

There is a “shooting through a condom” joke in there somewhere, but i’ll leave it alone smile

I have my DSLR out on the hill everyday. It gets used and abused now, going from outside to a warm room inside 2-3 times a day, lens changes out in the open and inside and she is still running great. All i do make sure its in a dry place every night and give my glass and sensor a clean regularly. This is why i use Nikon, you cant do that with a Canon   shock shock I have been doing this for 5 seasons now and i babied my camera for my first season but i soon realized how tough these things are. I’m not saying it gets thrown around or dropped in snow but they are sturdy.

Awesome. Maybe I’m worrying for nothing then.

I’ll keep those tips in mind anyway and I’m sure I’ll be sweet.

Thanks for the input guys.

BTW, do you think people will mind if I get pretty close to the rails, boxes and jumps etc if I’m using an ultra-wide?

My experience is that some guys will be annoyed and complain your in the way but just give em your email address and tell them you will send them any shots and they usually try a little harder for the camera.  Most people dont care as long as your not in there line.  Have fun with it and most guys out there will show off a little extra for you.

I wouldn’t get close unless you know them. One guy i work with has annoyed a few of the locals trying to get close on the kickers.

I’ve been using the same DSLR since ‘05;

In the rain/sleet I put a plastic bag over the whole set up, with the lens shade on, cut a hole for the lens and tape the bag to the shade - rainproof. In these high moisture days or in really cold days the camera stays in a ‘outside temp’ room overnight (like an air lock or locker room if safe), batteries come inside with me. Same deal when I upload photos in the shop - I leave the camera somewhere it wont be exposed to warm air and just take the card, at the very least I leave the lens and take the body.

The lens is the worst to get condensation in, over years fungus/mold will grow and ruin the lens - always check for mold/fungus when buying second hand lenses. Moisture causes this.

NOTE: cold air is denser the warm - moving from cold to warm causes air to expand and moisture to form (that’s what makes clouds and rain in the sky) you don’t want a rain cloud forming inside your camera gear. Being in the snow is the perfect enviorment to create cloud - just look down the valley to the warmer air!

Hahah thats a great analogy “you don’t want a rain cloud forming inside your camera gear”.  So true.  The bag over your gear is another great idea.  I use a couple of elastic bands instead of taping but I dont use my camera in to harsh of conditions.  I usually try to use a higher end plastic garbage bag also.  The plastic grocery store bags tend to have holes in them and are a little small.

Some good tips there. I’ll keep them in mind when i head down the snow this weekend. Hopefully come home with a few good shots.

Kinda of amusing for me reading about the fog thing, used to have issues in Indo having the samera in an airconditioned room and then going out to shootm the heat and humidity was a problem!  Might have to try the heavily padded backpack for my Fuji S8000 next time i’m up.