The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Boardworld Skater Progress Thread

Awesome work boys! Im gonna head for a skate shortly now I’ve finished work for the day. smile

I just got home from Umina skate park and I learned how to rock and roll :D
As usual it was kinda cheating (on little quarters with no coping) but I did it at least 5 times and think I have it on lock. Gunna try it on some proper big quarters soon.
How did u go K2?

I had a great evening skating. Went from work to the Hursty mini ramp. Had a roll for a bit but wasnt feeling it.
Headed to Knox skate park straigt after. Had a great session there. Working on olleing the different ledges and doing 5050s on different height ledges. Trying things like ollie up one pad, then 5050 the second level. or ollie that one too and ollie back down into the bank. Trying to combine things together, that way it forces me a bit to commit to landing and keep rollign to the next trick.

Was starting to get some frontside nose slides on the knee high granite ledges which where heaps of fun. Landed one smoothly. only slid about a foot, but it was locked and then rolled away fakie.

Thought id have a crack at ollieing up the euro gap. After 2 goes I was starting to land them. Was poping huge (prob too big for the gap size, which was the cause of my landing probs). Was landing but not smooth. Was gonna keep trying till I had it down but the rains came in.

All in all, good fun progressive session smile

I went for a skate at Umina today too!! Pretty fun, those little quarters are great to learn on, getting kick turns down SLOWLY, gosh so painfully slowly, but I also rolled in on the little quarters for the first time today! woop woop

Hellz Yeah you did!  shaka

Good work Nikky! Great to see you getting out and giving it a go too ollie

Great stuff, guys! shaka

I’ll join you guys for a skate when I get back from Canada. Looking forward to getting a new setup actually.

thanks K2! It took me a while to realise that skating is actually fun, but now I’m hooked! Hells yeah jez, that would be great. When are you off to Whis again? I think you’ve already said, but I can’t remember. You still here for the finny’s gathering? oh and just to let you know, surfing is great but I’m moving back home for some family time, back to inland qld, not a great deal of surf out there, so I’m gonna pass on the boards for now, thanks heaps anyway man

Great work everyone!!

I’m really enjoying this 8” deck and Thunder trucks. Thanks again Jez!

I went for a skate tonight too (well last night, its 3am right now) and I managed to do a small 50-50 on the box. Not sure if this counts but I managed to land a heelflip but I ended up slipping out! My feet were basically on the bolts but the angle of my body wasn’t right which made me slip out! :( was sooooo devo! I won’t count that as a landed one though.

Oh yeah, I also came off my board twice in less than 15 seconds because of those tiny bloody rocks!!!!!!!!!! -.-

No worries, mate. Good to hear you’re progressing nicely. I’m sure you’ll get that heelflip soon!

Nice one BKM. I can’t wait until my ollies are good enough to let me grind boxes and stuff.
There seams to be a big step between just ollieing around and ollieing up onto something (box, gutter, anything that is higher).
Can anyone tell me a good way to progress my ollies?

I can do them fairly high stationary and I can ollie really low while rolling but thats about it. When ever I try to ollie up onto a box I’m not committing to it cause I know I’m not really good enough ready.
What should I practice next to improve them?

I think try ollieing over small things to help with the committing thing. Start with just lines on the ground and trying to jump over them. Clearing between two lines.

Then put something small on the ground like a shoe or a drink bottle. Ollie over that. From there go to ollies on and up curbs/gutters.
I personally think it is easier to actually ollie up something than over, reason being that you go up, but dont come down again. Make sense?

But I think olling over small items like shoes, bottles will be a good start to help with commiting to objects.

Are you already at the point of ollies over things?

Also, I find the soon you get used to doing moving ollies at speed, the more it will help with all your ollies. It will feel better and isnt really much harder than a slow rolling ollie. In a way a slow rolling ollie may be more awkward (to me anyway).

I find it harder to ollie onto something than over it. Just practice your ollies while moving. Get a broom or something and practice that. Also for 50-50s try to ollie into the position whilst standing still, so you can lock it in.

Had another good late session after work yesterday at Knox.

Rocked up at about 7-730pm.
Had my Boardworld skate tee on and as soon as I rolled into the park guys were asking me bout it. Loved the tee and wanted to know how I got it. Filled them in. One guy knew of BW through Baskwith’s youtube channel.
BW tee has its perks. The guys gave me a beer haha

It was good, they guys got me in on a few games of SKATE. Nothing like the pressure of that game to make you land stuff you havent before or try stuff you have never tried.

I had heaps of success and progression during the games.

Some tricks I landed which I hadnt tried since getting back into skating were:
Nollies
Fakie Ollies
Switch Ollies
Half Cab
Fakie 360 Shuvit
Fakie Shuvs
Nollie Shuvs

Almost got some of these:
Fakie Bigspin
Heel Flip (never used to be able to land these when I skated. This was the first one I tried and nearly got it first go)
Tre Flip (kinda close, not bad for first go)
Casper flip
Kick Flips ( was so close on these)
Fakie Kickflips

Tried heaps of other technical tricks and was super suprised as to how I was getting the spins/flips just not landing.

Was super fun sesh with some randoms. Great as they were keen to know about Boardworld and also 24 Skateboards (were super impressed with the concave on 24 decks and the lightness too)

Bring on the end of work today so I can get back out!