The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Frostbite Edges with Grip N Rip Tune V Magne-Traction

As the title suggests… What is your opinion and views on the above 2 systems.

I ask because I am new to the snowboard world and looking at buying my first board. I have read really good things about the Megne-traction and havent really heard much at all about the Frostbite Edges.

Frostbite Edges are somewhat the same as Magne-traction - it’s just not as noticeable. Burton have been doing it for years too; it was previously called ‘Pressure Distribution Edges’ and featured on the Custom X.

Magne-traction visually looks like a serrated edge and it performs its function very well. It gives you increased edge hold in icy conditions. Frostbite does the same however you won’t feel it as much. The theory behind it is the same though.

so being a newbie one would suggest this would be a good thing to include on a first board?

You would’ve already read the claims, that they turn ice into powder!!!!!

This is not entirely true, as I have found from my own experience!!!!! My mathematical equation - POW > Magnetraction + Ice!!!!!

It may give you a sense of having extra grip on the ice, and therefore make you feel more confident when ya ride it!!!!!

Having said this, I don’t see it as a negative thing to have on ya board, but I wouldn’t base my choice of purchase solely on havin these features!!!!!

Hope this helps ya pazza????

agree with what mizu said

good to have but would not seek it/pay extra on purpose for it

ice skating on board with magnetraction or not is still ice skating

I agree with Mizu and humdingaling. It gives you more grip on ice but there’s more important factors to consider. I wouldn’t make a decision on which board to buy based on Frostbite vs Magne-traction.

Okay so I’ve been wondering this for a while cause I’ve never used a board with Frost Bite edges… What r they?
Rider if I’m reading your post right it sounds like Frost bite edges are the same as magne-traction but very very slight waves instead of big visible ones.
Is that right?
Has anyone ridden both and believe one is better than the other. (Preferable someone who does own one raspberry people get defensive over their boards)

Also just so u know Pazza, Magne-traction is actually a useful thing. But the way they market it makes most people call BULLS*#T (I did too until I figured it out)
1. A rocker with magne-traction can’t out carve a cambered board.
2. You won’t take it on ice and say “WOW it’s not slippery” it onlt helps a little.
3. It does help in the pipe. On those icey walls when just a little more grip goes a long way. Torah Bright has used it since it was first created, before rockers existed.
4. It’s real worth is when used on a rockered board. Though you won’t really feel much difference, if you compare it to a rocker with out magne-traction (or something like magne-traction) it will become very clear why it was created.

Yeah pretty much. It’s not wavy the whole way down the edge. Basically a couple of points on each edge where they protrude a few mm.

Cheers guys!

Clears things up for me = )

All your help to date has been much appreciated!

I have both: a custom x with frost bite and a rossi experience with magne traction, and I had a lib tech lando with mellow magne traction. I have also ridden a jones flagship with an even mellower magne traction.Oh, and I’ve also ridden and own Capita boards with death grip.

Like the others have said, magne traction (aka mtx) is good to have, but I wouldn’t pick a board just because of that. frost bite does a similar job but isn’t so noticeable (which can be a good thing)

rider26 - 23 August 2011 05:05 AM

Yeah pretty much. It’s not wavy the whole way down the edge. Basically a couple of points on each edge where they protrude a few mm.

Oh I see, it’s just like Grip Tech on my Arbor, but probably less obvious.
I actually like it for a weird reason… I’ve got big ass feet lol
On my Arbor (just like the burton by the looks of it) the widened areas are right where your feet go so it helps me a lot with avoiding toe/heel drag. And means I can ride a board that isn’t really wide.
I might have to demo some new burtons soon, I really want to try the Custom X

Yeah the frostbite thing is only 1/2 mm bump at each edge.