The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The link between Skateboarding & Snowboarding

Yeah, pads are good for building confidence. I used to rock all of my snowboard protection ie. Impact shorts, knee pads and wrist guards.
As I skated more and more I started wearing less protection. Right now I’m not wearing anything and I’m not getting hurt :D
But only because I know how to fall and roll with it now.
Protective gear is definitely a good idea to start with. And once you get to bigger ramps I notice all the vert guys start wearing helmets and knee pads again to knee slide when they fall.

Man it has been raining non stop here on the coast. I haven’t skated for a week or so. Keen to get back out there, except… it’s still raining long face

And yeah, rolling to fakie is good because you don’t have to do much. It lets you just get used going from upright to horizontal as you go up the ramp and like you said, get a feel for pumping too.

When the parks dry up, find a nice smallish bank to practice kick turns on. It’s easier on a flat surface, and if you can work your way up to turning near the top of the bank… you’re ready to Roll In!

If you can find a big ramp, or even a vert ramp, that is really good to practice your pumping on. YOu dont have to be able to drop in and the curve of the transition is going to be bigger and more flowy. Even though a smaller halfpipe or mini ramp may seem less daunting, it can actually be harder to practive pumping and kick turns because the curve or the tranny is usually tighter, which can be off putting and lose balance. Or it can be a bit of a psyc out when you get close to the coping. Not gonna get that problem on a vert ramp. You just keep pumping and turning higher as you get more comfortable.

If your considering pads, just do it! No shame in it at all, and like andy says, it will help with ur confidence heaps and allow you to learn to fall and bail safely.

^ True dat ^

If you can get to the park early in the morning you can have the place all to yourself to ride the big half pipe (if there is one).
Plus the small ones will feel less daunting after that.

Well, I do both… I’m from Portugal, and in Portugal we only have snow in the winters, and I go to Serra da Estrela(name of my unique mountain with snow) only 10 times each year(more or less)... I started snowboarding last year, and in the summer I started skating because I missed so much snowboard… And now I am better at skating, but I prefer snowboard…

(sorry for my english)

Ola Amigo
Your english is very good J. I am just like you, I started skating because I missed snowboarding LOL

I didn’t know you had mountains with snow in Portugal. I hope I can snowboard there one day.

Olá!

Yes we have, I will post some videos of my crew to show to you Serra da Estrela, we aren’t pros or something, but we love snowboarding…

I dont appear in the videos, because my tricks are basic, and in the box I only do 50-50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOlvDbPxO4&feature=relmfu (i’m the left one at 0:44)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Px5HtA8ISI&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8t-YJ5G7vo&feature=plcp

Sick man, you’re crew has steeeeze.

Looks like you guys have a lot of fun too shaka

Thanks man!

I skate and snowboard, (barely snowboard but still) The first time i went snowboarding i could see no link, aside from pushing the snowboard when you’re on flat snow. My friend rode a ripstick, (gay), and he said the way he could S turn so easily on a snowboard was because he knew how to swerve his body like on a ripstick.

Welcome to BW alemeno! When you learn to snowboard better, you will see that the turning is more like a normal skateboard not like a ripstick. the swerving motion of a rip stick will make you turn a snowboard in a washy way, like windscreen wipers. This is ok when learning how to get down the hill, but not correct technique for snowboarding. The way you put pressure on your toes or heels and lean on a skateboard to turn, is how you should turn a snowboard (in basic terms).

Other areas I think there is links between skatin and boarding are spin initiation using seperation of the upper and lower body and pre winding. Also for example when doing a frontside noseslide. You have to counter rotate your shoulders and look forward, same as doing a front board on a snowboard.