The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

right size? Burton ‘system’ Jacket

I’m thinking of buying the system jacket (online), has anyone got one and have any comments about it? I’m not sure what would be the best size for me. I want it to be generally pretty baggy but I’ve heard that each size is quite big. I’m 6 foot 4 but pretty slim, my current jacket is an XL and fits fine, but for tshirts and jumpers I usually go for a L. I’m thinking L is probably gonna be the best fit. Any ideas? Cheers grin

What brand is your current jacket?

Its an ocean and earth jacket. Its called 3 layer stretch. Its a good jacket (20K, 20K) but its only a shell and has no cool features whatsoever.

In my opinion, most good jackets are only shells. If you look at the best jackets on the market, most of them are simple Gore-Tex shells. Waterproof, breathable, lightweight, packable… it’s what you want.

In regards to size, Burton do usually fit on the large size of the scale. But if you go for the large it may not have the length you need. It’s really hard to guess without trying on the jacket. 6’4 my initial thoughts are XL, only because you are quite tall.

Yeah thanks Jeremy. I ended up getting the XL. Based on the Burton sizing chart for chest and waist an L would be the right fit but as you said I think I’ll need the extra length of the XL.

I have a Burton system jacket from about 3 yrs ago, I think.
It does fit a little bigger than a lot of jackets, and bigger than most Burton AK jackets (atleast the ones I own, or have tired on).

I cant really contribute or make any confident suggestions, because each year so much can change.

I tried the System on a week or so ago.

I’m 6 foot 2, and I tried the large on. I was a pretty comfy fit but I wouldn’t have wanted it any smaller.

I’d say at 6 foot 4, you’ve made the right choice.

yeah the jacket fits well and looks sweet. Its pretty damn long but I figure its going for the baggy style. Plus I got the XL about $100 cheaper than the L was. Cheers for the advice.

Dan83 - 11 August 2009 12:00 PM

yeah the jacket fits well and looks sweet. Its pretty damn long but I figure its going for the baggy style. Plus I got the XL about $100 cheaper than the L was. Cheers for the advice.

Good to hear prefer baggy over the ‘so tight it could rip’ style any day.

Call me stupid but although i have an analog jacket, i tend to chuck on a couple of hoodies instead on some days when the sun is out.
I’d go overly baggy than overly tight anyday

Are people getting into jackets that are as tight as the pants these days?
I have always preferred a loose fit, but not incredibly baggy, I want to be comfortable.

I like the first few layers on my upper body to be snug, but with the outer layer to have some room to breathe and trap a little air or something ya know.

snowslider - 12 August 2009 04:45 AM

I have always preferred a loose fit, but not incredibly baggy, I want to be comfortable.

I like the first few layers on my upper body to be snug, but with the outer layer to have some room to breathe and trap a little air or something ya know.

This thermals and whatever else are good to be close to the body but the jacket needs room. Allows for that heat pocket or room to hold something in there.

nic - 12 August 2009 06:19 AM
snowslider - 12 August 2009 04:45 AM

This thermals and whatever else are good to be close to the body but the jacket needs room. Allows for that heat pocket or room to hold something in there.

Skins work the absolute best for me smile

I ruined a pair of skins at the snow when they got wet. Kind of lost their elasticity in the right leg and became weird to wear. I just go with any sort of thermal now.

did you wear the full leg ones?
I dont have proper skins. I have imitation ones but they work the same.
Compression garments they’re called

golfpunklegend - 12 August 2009 09:48 AM

did you wear the full leg ones?
I dont have proper skins. I have imitation ones but they work the same.
Compression garments they’re called

Yes full length skins brand. I’m currently using slazenger (bioslyx??) from big w. At 35 they were a good buy for compression type gear.