The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

nike snowboard boots

I won’t be buying Nike boots, but I’m interested in how they’ll do their releases. If it’s like SB, it may (repeat, MAY) be good for shops. That is, keep a small range of boots but release different colourways throughout the season. No, it’s not going to be like sneakerheads that will buy every release, but releasing ‘new’ stuff throughout the season may just sway those people who are on the fence about getting a new pair of boots. Now I’m sure someone will so “oh but it’s not about colourways, it’s about whether the boots fit/perform”. Don’t kid yourself. It is for us, the users of a snowboard forum, but the ‘average’ rider does about 10 days a year and buys shit because it’s a big brand and looks cool. The harsh truth.

However, if staggered releases bring a little more traffic into stores, that might be good for more than just Nike.

Nike would have to make a hell of an awesome boot before they get my buy.

nnobbie - 10 August 2009 11:52 PM
drjcv - 26 July 2009 02:34 AM
nnobbie - 20 July 2009 05:45 AM

It always makes me laugh when this topic comes up in regards to whats core and what isnt….. I noticed alot of people hitting up Quiksilver say its a surf brand yet if you look at their logo its a wave with a mountain its been that way from way back….quik has been committed to the snow scene from day 1… Brands such as DC, Gnu , lib are indeed owned by quik but its a cut throat industry out there and people need to go to the bigger companies to survive or expand.

In regards to nike they seem to have a solid team, the boots look the part but time will tell because if the product isnt up to scratch people wont buy them. lets not forget that bobby meeks is the man running the show for nike snowboarding….you cant get a better track record than that. Watch any of his robot food parts to see what i mean, and before someone says “he rode for k2 and k2 is a ski brand” lets not forget that k2 owns ride snowboards.

so being a good snowboarder qualifies you to run a boot program? how do you figure?

lets not forget that jarden crock pot company owns k2 which owns ride. not sure where you were going with that.

So what you’d prefer some nobody running a company? All I’m saying is that if Bobby Meeks is running the show it cant be all bad…he’s been around for ages so im sure he would steer the brand into a positive direction.

And the point i was making was that who cares who owns who….because theres always a bigger corp behind it…even the “rider” owned brands need backing from some where, whether its from a big ass bank, a jap car company, daddy….you think the average johnny sponsored rider can afford to start a “core” company from his jib comp winnings? and if he is making the coin needed in sure he’d be on a good contract sum and smart enough to stay where the money is.
Why do you think Andreas left Omatic? Cause it takes alot of coin to run a brand, plus he’s in his salad days so hes gonna make the most money possible while he can.
Vans is owned by a corp that owns wrangler and shit…what is vans not core now?.....so i dont know what point your making.
What “core” brand do you run with? Probs Burton or rome….

again why? why do you want some retired pro running a division of a brand instead of someone with experience or training? does he even run anything?  its ridiculous to assume because bobby is there he will steer it anywhere, he doesn’t own nike. the bean counters will do more steering than he will.

and its simply wrong to suggest there is always a bigger corp behind it. its just not true. “not caring” is the easy way out and you’re just making excuses to do so. having investors is a normal part of business, it doesn’t mean they “own” the company or have any say in it, unless its a public company, and guess what, all the ski brands and nike are public companies, but many snowboard companies are not. talking about starting a company with “jib winnings” just shows you have no perspective and are uneducated about this subject.

if you want to just throw up your hands and buy mega giant corporate crap then so be it, but don’t try to justify it to yourself by suggesting there isn’t anything “core” or come down on others like they are stupid for trying to put their money into the hands of snowboarders.

your comment ” probs burton or rome” pretty much sums your attitude up.

No your the causing a stink due to nike becoming part of the snowboard scene and my “attitude” is justified seeing as i have worked in the industry for 10 years….
Alot of ex pros do have diploma’s behind them or go to school because they are aware that it wont last forever.
I never said ill be buying nike all i said was they have a solid team with bobby meeks as TM and so it cant be all bad.
If they’re product turns out to be shit no one will buy it and that will be that. In regards to the corporate remark you basically just said what i was trying to point out with the vans remark…..vans is indeed owned by a super corp but it doesnt effect they’re internal structure towards the way they run they’re company.
History also shows us that yes some investors stay away but some allow the brand to progress and they rise quickly, brands such as academy rose too quickly and the investor did not want to invest towards they’re expansion, instead it was sold and as you see the riders take off to other sponsors.

Now i personally dont buy burton because they’re product has failed me before and i dont like they’re current image plus working at a shop when every person wearing and everlast shirt walks in asking for it you tend to steer away from it…nothing wrong with everlast if thats your scene(especially when they lay off they’re best riders to make way for a bunch of teenagers, but thats the way it goes) and rome i feel is over engineered in everything they do and its not a bad thing but not for me.

These are my opinions towards these particular products but it certainly isnt an attitude.

This is way too intense for my friday afternoon smile

nnobbie - 13 August 2009 11:44 PM

No your the causing a stink due to nike becoming part of the snowboard scene and my “attitude” is justified seeing as i have worked in the industry for 10 years….
Alot of ex pros do have diploma’s behind them or go to school because they are aware that it wont last forever.
I never said ill be buying nike all i said was they have a solid team with bobby meeks as TM and so it cant be all bad.
If they’re product turns out to be shit no one will buy it and that will be that. In regards to the corporate remark you basically just said what i was trying to point out with the vans remark…..vans is indeed owned by a super corp but it doesnt effect they’re internal structure towards the way they run they’re company.
History also shows us that yes some investors stay away but some allow the brand to progress and they rise quickly, brands such as academy rose too quickly and the investor did not want to invest towards they’re expansion, instead it was sold and as you see the riders take off to other sponsors.

Now i personally dont buy burton because they’re product has failed me before and i dont like they’re current image plus working at a shop when every person wearing and everlast shirt walks in asking for it you tend to steer away from it…nothing wrong with everlast if thats your scene(especially when they lay off they’re best riders to make way for a bunch of teenagers, but thats the way it goes) and rome i feel is over engineered in everything they do and its not a bad thing but not for me.

These are my opinions towards these particular products but it certainly isnt an attitude.

whao, 10 years!!! holy cow. not 9 or 11 but 10 exactly!. how many ex pros have diplomas exactly? you mean high school, right? you are kidding yourself if you don’t think vans parent company doesn’t have any say it what they do. please don’t pretend you have any insider info on what went down at academy
the fact that you decide what you are going to ride based on how many other people or what type of people also use it speaks volumes.

please someone explain why Nike is ok but Saucony or Timberland isn’t

still waiting

While on the topic of Nike in snowboarding, what ever happened with Nike ACG???

ooo been a while since i saw a nike ACG. i shop a fair bit at the nike factory outlet about half an hours out from mine and they used to have shells. i dont think i’ve seen anything close to snow related there for a while now.

Maybe ACG turned into 6.0?
I only saw some of those ACG jackets, a local mountain had them for the snowboard school. After a lot of riders complained that if the snowboard school was to have snowboard jackets… they wanted a snowboard company brand. not Nike.
That was before I showed up. (they switch jackets every 2 years). So when I was there they began to talk about buying new jackets… we were using Bonfire at that time… and they were talking about some off ski brand for ski school and snowboard school… yuck. it is so much nicer if they can have different jackets.
I forget what they decided.

But ACG…. Gone I guess.
Apparently there is still some ACG items out there. 2009.
http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/sportswear/en_US/acg_boots?country=US&lang_locale=en_US&blog=en_US

i dont think they’re doing too well in the snow industry though.