The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Rome board - damage question.

Hey guys

we got a rome board here… the agent 158, and its been a really awesome board, only had about 10 days on the mountain if that, and the top sheet is delaming in a numebr of spots. its caused from the edges cracking and flaking up. no water is soaked in yet or anything just concerned that its gunna keep spreading.

really dont wana deal with warranty issues… any ideas on repair or a solution… it just seems to almost be a weak top sheet or something.

anyway ur opinion wld be awesome. also no major mistreatment of the board either, nothing it shldnt have handle and have seen boards take much worse…
thanks guys. x

When did you buy it? Has there been any impacts?

Please post some photos so we can help you better. It’s hard to give accurate advice without seeing the damage.

I’ve had a problem with a ROME in the past and after calling their rider services number, I had to mail them the board back and they replaced it with no questions asked.
It was actually impact damage that usually isnt covered by warranty, and it also was after I’d had the board a year, too.
I felt that they returned the board fast and provided great service.

I’d suggest to just call ROME and tell them the problem you have.

as long as there isnt any apparent impact damage that would cause an immediate delam

(impact to the sidewalls/edge causing the edge to blow out and allowing moisture in)
OR
(impact/coreshot damage to the base/core area allowing for moisture to enter from the bottom)....

it should be easily warrenty-able. Unfortunately a home solution for a delam is kind of difficult…. essentially water is getting in/around your core somehow and blistering the sheet up, and the only way to fix this would be to effectively ‘dry the board’ (get all existing moisture out…however youd do that) and then repair all bubbles and finally - find the source of the moisture…

if I were you I’d ride that old piece of crap you have sitting in your closet as an emergency board in the meantime, and get to your post office ASAP to mail that agent out!

The boys are right, if there is no visible impact damage, you could be able to get a new board through warranty. By the sounds of what you’re describing, I feel it might only be cosmetic damage. Topsheet delaminations are sually just that, which is why I want to see a photo of the damage.

To warranty the snowboard in Australia you need to have a receipt from a store, and there is a good chance they won’t warranty the board if it’s over one year old. If this is the case the store you bought the board from should be your first point of contact.

If it is a true delamination and warranty is out of the question, your best bet is taking it to your local snowboard store to be fixed properly. As mentioned it is quite hard to fix delaminations without the right equipment and knowledge.

em..
Give us an update and let us know what store you went to or what info you got when you called ROME.

wow guys! insane feddback thank you soo much!

i bought the board in canada and brought it back to aus, i still have the reciept.
there have been no major impacts that i am aware, if i were to send it back i would say that known occured at all, as the impacts that may have occured were seriously minor. all the damage that is present has been noticed at the end of a run.

the damage is definiatly superficial and cosmetic at the moment, just worrying itll spread. not worried about the image of the board at all just that these occured quiet easily.
i will post an image as soon as i can.

thank you so much for your help.

em.. - 13 July 2009 10:27 PM

wow guys! insane feddback thank you soo much!

i bought the board in canada and brought it back to aus, i still have the reciept.
there have been no major impacts that i am aware, if i were to send it back i would say that known occured at all, as the impacts that may have occured were seriously minor. all the damage that is present has been noticed at the end of a run.

the damage is definiatly superficial and cosmetic at the moment, just worrying itll spread. not worried about the image of the board at all just that these occured quiet easily.
i will post an image as soon as i can.

thank you so much for your help.

yeah just like.. you dont want to have to fix topsheet bubbles etc on your own time, its not fun and can look super ugly when youre finished.  call rome, explain your sitch and the lowdown from what we’ve suggested and chipped in, and they should tell you to send it in and youll get a new one back.. at least thatd be the right thing to do

No worries em.. always happy to help.

I will wait to see the photos of the damage, but it does sound like there may be some sort of manufacturing fault with the board. Generally top sheet damage is only ever cosmetic, so if you aren’t worried about the way it looks or warrantying the board, it’s probably good to ride and forget about it.

Just being honest with you, sometimes it is hard to warranty boards in Australia that were bought overseas. This depends on the particular brand’s policy.

yepo same here

i bought a rome mod last season, it now looks 5 seasons old

the top sheet on the rome seems to be the most brittle sheet on any of the boards i have owned

it isn’t delaming, just cracking, chipping & splitting - mainly from t-bar riding with noobs

i’m just filing it down and gluing it back together as best as i can, cost of freighting it back to where i got it won’t be worth it IMO