The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

WHY?  ~The Philosophy thread~

Until after winter I wont be overly active with my thinking but thought I would begin this thread for other philosophizers out there to get warmed up.

Inspired by “cow Vs human” and “literature-anyone a fan” threads. There seems to be deeper thinkers in the boardworld community.

1 rule to remember - no one is wrong your opinion is your opinion so don’t go dissin on other peeps ideas, let their thoughts inspire you to post your own. Everyone has handled debate well on BW so I think we can manage stepping into delicate and heated discussion on life’s big questions.

I will be moderating so if anyone feels their toes are being stept on let me know.

Are we awake dreaming or dreaming we are awake?
To put it another way….

Do we really exist or do we just believe we exist?

I think we do really exist, but believe that reality is a figment of our imagination. What we see and experience is greatly removed from the real world.

Maybe, I am not sure.

So we are born, we do stuff and then we die. Why does this happen? Nothing changes, the world keeps spinning.

Are our lives just part of a game of Sims.

If there is really no point to our lives, what makes us do what we do?

Or is our life a really big worldwide version of the Truman show!

can I just put it out there and wonder why these questions matter? I’m not having a go - I’m sure I’m not interested because I’m far too unintelligent but I have never felt a single yearning to have an answer to any of these type of questions!

It just feels like no one can ever be sure of any answer so whats the point? Like the question - does god exist? My question back is, what does it matter if he does or not? No one can know anything for sure anyway…and its certainly not worth arguing or fighting, let alone killing anyone over!

Its probably a mixture of lack of intelligence and laziness actually because I can’t be bothered thinking about questions I’m never gonna have answers to!

Just like we are born, live then die, I also believe that everything in existence including planets do the same!!!!

I, like Azz don’t know why this cycle exists, and like cords in the way that I realize that it doesn’t really matter, but I am still amazed that it does!!!!

What is life?  Technically it’s a period of around 70-90 years for us lucky westerners which includes early childhood (play), later childhood (education), then a period of getting on it (booze and other delights) followed by the meat of a life (career, kids etc) and then retirement which can last a long time these days and sounds ace so long as you have mind and bladder control.

Anyways with such a varied and challenging schedual ahead of us surely some kind of planning is in order?

But how do you setup a plan if you don’t know what the final aim is or even if you have one?  Is the journey more important than the destination?  On one level the real aim of our lives is to reproduce, but through a previously unencountered property of evolution humans have the ability to think past our biological programming and make something other than passing on our genes the goal or at least combine it with other sweet things along the way.

I think philosophy is the tool you use to make that plan and hence the point of this thread.

Shall we pass the bong around the table one more time????

I don’t think that cords is stoned yet!!!!!

Or is she, and its us that aren’t????

Just ponder that one for a moment!!!!!

How long is a moment, you ask????

Surely the killing happens because we don’t ask the question.

The will of life is to reproduce and spread MY genes.
So the simplest conclusion would be to kill as many of my rivals (every man I come across) and screw all the women I meet as many times as I can before a stronger rival kills me - best case is the stronger rival is one of my sons.

Keep it moving to the left Mizu!

By not being simple I realise the destructive nature of this conquest.

I disagree with Aidy’s concept of “technically” maybe you meant ‘Statistically’.
I feel fortunate that I gave that life cycle thought at a young age (10yo), listened to lyrics of angst rock and decided at high school to “retire” before I started in the workforce. I want to have fun while I can remember and my bladder is still good.
I may not contribute to the “greater good” but (like asking if god exists) what does it matter? - I’m not a cow, I’m human and have the ability to dream and make my dream live.

From the greatest

so good!

“I think therefore I am” – René Descartes (1596 – 1650)
Descartes began his philosophy by doubting everything in order to figure out what he could know with absolute certainty. Although he could be wrong about what he was thinking, that he was thinking was undeniable. Upon the recognition that “I think,” Descartes concluded that “I am.”

On the heels of believing in himself, Descartes asked, What am I? His answer: a thinking thing as opposed to a physical thing extended in three-dimensional space. So, based on this line, Descartes knew he existed, though he wasn’t sure if he had a body.

we may just be [pices in a game being played by some bigger power hahau neverr no

Im sure everyone has heard the term that perception is reality, each and every person has their own perception of the world around them and for them that is their reality.  Someone is only considered abnormal when their perception of reality differs from the majorities perception.  My opinion of perception is that it’s similar to a Bell curve with the majority of ppl somewhere in the middle but the further towards the edges the more unusual or abnormal the perception of you becomes by the majority.