The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

noobs stack in front of jumps why?

a couple of years ago some kid stacked on a little natural jump that a fair few of us where hitting ( me, a mate and about 5 guys i didnt know). he sat there for at least 2 mins not moving. just sitting looking around, so the 5 guys decide they hahve had enough. cue about 40 million snowballs at the kid sitting down.

Never seen a person go from sitting down to full pelt down the hill that quick before!

Mizu Kuma - 26 June 2011 11:26 PM
Gamblor - 26 June 2011 06:28 AM

i prefer that to a boarder sitting down taking a break in front of or in the landing of a hit. Even worse are skiers!
If someone has stacked it, it’s not like they’ve done it on purpose

Unfortunately 99% of the time it will be a group of skiers having a breather right near a hit!!!!!

Gotta love the shoulder to shoulder cat track groups as well!!!!!!  angry

I was once rolling through smiggs park and 2 people were sitting on the first jump. Yelled to ask them to move and they wouldnt so I boarded to the middle of them and just popped over the jump Indy grab (would have missed them by miles) and they freaked out… It was awesome lol

deanobruce - 27 June 2011 12:17 AM

a couple of years ago some kid stacked on a little natural jump that a fair few of us where hitting ( me, a mate and about 5 guys i didnt know). he sat there for at least 2 mins not moving. just sitting looking around, so the 5 guys decide they hahve had enough. cue about 40 million snowballs at the kid sitting down.

Never seen a person go from sitting down to full pelt down the hill that quick before!

Hahahahahaa!!!!

I thought that ya were about to say that ya all used his head as a Bonk Bin!!!!!  LOL

that could have been awesome…he did have a helmet on smirk

Caboose - 26 June 2011 11:18 PM

everyone was a noob once

ever thought of waiting for them to clear before ya drop??

seriously they have as much right to the park as you do

It appears you’ve missed the point.

Nobody’s objecting to people having a go, no matter what their level of expertise. Nobody’s objecting to them stacking - everybody does it. However, problems arise when people selfishly ignore the simple rule that if you stack, you should move out of the way as quickly as possible - and never should you stop (or slow down) and block the entrance or exit to a hit. It’s just common courtesy.

I wait no longer than 60s then give em a yell.
Normally they don’t hear so I ride in like I’m gonna hit it, yelling. If I can see a way to safely hit it and give them a scare I DO IT, then pull up where they can start abusing me, wait for the abuse or death stare then quote the mountain safety rule of not blocking a run pointing out the danger the have put themselves in.

If I have to abort the hit I’ll do a bit of grooming (of the run in), unstrap, skate up to them and ask them to move as people use this as a jump and they WILL GET INJURED if they stay where they are. It’s even better if it’s a skier parent and I can make them look like the total punter they are. EVEN BETTER if I have a crew waiting to hit it and I have a camera.

After that if they give me lip I call them “punter” and “idiot” and advise they go get a lesson in safe mountain use.

Your such an aggressive man on the mountain spaz!!!!!  grrr

Were ya yellin at TJ when he was stuck in the pow????

How could I when I was stuck as well!!!

I’m not that agressive, all mentioned in my post is done politely - even the yelling. My riding on the other hand…

Moving this to Rider Progression.

its all about Etiquette. If you are unsure of the pecking order and how things work as some one that looks like they do. Having spent 12 year of my life at the local skate park, im only more than happy in helping a new or younger skater in teaching how the bowl works ect ect, they way i get good skate time and get to keep a cool head, they learn something and enjoy it alot more aswell. this is the same mentality ill be taking with me to Perisher in August anyway it hasnt failed for me yet.

Great way to treat it Sukah!!!!!  shaka

i agree ya gota start sumwhere

chucky - 27 June 2011 02:05 AM
Caboose - 26 June 2011 11:18 PM

everyone was a noob once

ever thought of waiting for them to clear before ya drop??

seriously they have as much right to the park as you do

It appears you’ve missed the point.

Nobody’s objecting to people having a go, no matter what their level of expertise. Nobody’s objecting to them stacking - everybody does it. However, problems arise when people selfishly ignore the simple rule that if you stack, you should move out of the way as quickly as possible - and never should you stop (or slow down) and block the entrance or exit to a hit. It’s just common courtesy.

nope didn’t miss the point

frustrates me more seeing “experienced” or better riders dropping early when others are already waiting for beginners to clear the way

may because they are “noobs” they don’t have the skillz or they are hurt/shocked too much to get out of the way as quickly as “you” like

if i can see they arent hurt. i give them a minute then will proceed with the jump/trick and give them a scare.

I dont care what level you are at. if you arent injured, you dont sit on a feature for 60 seconds…simple. its not rocket science

when i was new to baording and i first attempted jumps/rails, i fell alot! but i didnt once sit at teh feature, i got up and rode away. if i was in pain or didnt feel comfortable riding straight away i would crawl/slide/un strap and walk out of the way

Yep my bf taught me the same thing when I first hit parks - doesn’t matter how hurt or injured I think I might be, if there is any possible way I can crawl out of the way, then I do it as fast as possible. Doesn’t matter if I think I’m gonna die, I go and do it off to the side. Staying in the landing of the jump is dangerous for yourself and others.
Those who don’t know just need a few simple words and to be taught the same way everyone else was at some point…yes a few people figure this stuff out for themselves but terrain parks are intimidating places and a few kind words here and there can’t hurt!