The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Newbie Snowboard advice

Alright, after some epic browsing on your forums - I’m hoping that you guys can offer some advice, as you all seem to know whats what.!

Basically I have never gone snowboarding ever.. and I am in the market for a new board, as a bunch of my mates and I are heading to NZ (Wanaka to be specific) to snowboard, below are my specs:

Height: 166 - 167cm (I think thats about 5’6)
Weight: ~80kg (hopefully i’m not being to generous)
Boots: Just purchased a pair of new Burton Rulers (Size 10)

Judging from the various board guides that i’ve read and also advice from my mates, i’m thinking a board length of 154cm is what i should look for?

Some models that I’ve narrowed my search down to include:
Burton ‘11 Bullet
Burton Custom - unsure of this one
Sierra Reverse Crew

Does anyone have any opinions about the shortlist i’ve inputted and or can recommend another model that might suit my needs? Do you need more info?

Thanks in advance!
Marty

First of all +1 on going snowboarding ^^

Second: If this is the first time you will be snowboarding I wouldn’t recommend buying a board. In my opinion it’s better to first hire some different boards try them out and see what you like.

tip: try this Boardfinder by Burton

+1 on spending some dough on getting your own boots first smile

I still class myself as a beginner, but that being said, I reckon you’ll probably bash your board up a fair bit when you first learning (i know my hire board last Feb copped a beating). The hire boards are better to learn on as they are designed specifically for beginners.

Once you have the basics down pat, you can choose your own board based upon your riding style and goals, eg; park or all mountain riding etc…

Good luck mate!!!

Oh, and don’t be afraid to get some padded shorts to wear under your gear. Your ass is gonna feel like minced meat after your first couple of days smile

aha I got those padded shorts after my first day in the park =D also as a beginner wear a helmet!, I know some people don’t like it but if this is your first time I will bet you, you are gonna fall on either hands, butt or head! Just so you know ^^

And +1 on what antisense said; if you are a beginner your board will get a hard time and with hired boards nobody cares :p

Hi Marty
I’m going to tell you the same thing I tell everyone that asks me about starting out in boarding which is.
The most important thing about buying gear is that it fits you. All the brand names and technologies definitely come second to that.

Board size is a personal preference. The general rule is a board should come up to somewhere around your chin. Longer for powder if u want. Shorter for freestyle if u want. But they are preferences that come later.
The most important thing is buying a board that fits your shoe size so tell the store owners your shoe size and ask them for help. Other wise you could end up with a board where your toes hang too far over or not enough.

Your boots were a good choice, I’ve had a few pairs of rulers and they are really good value for the money. Though sadly burtons wear a bit fast but they’re still the boots that fit me best.

Bindings aren’t that critical, they just have to match the size of you boots (again ask for help at the board store) and be cumfy. Look for thick cumfy heel straps that you can squeeze with your fingers.

That’s the important stuff. The rest is just details.
As for the list of boards you have there I would say DON’T get a Burton Bullet. My friend snapped his in his first season. No begginer should be able to snap a board.
The Burton Customs are generally a good board but maybe not to start out on. They are usually kinda stiff which is not what u want for learning.
I’ve never ridden the Sierra.
My advice is choose a reverse camber board (also known as ‘rocker’ or ‘banana’) that is fairly soft (flexible).
Reverse camber boards make it less likely to catch an edge while riding and stack. Since your learning you will be catching a lot of edges so the less you do, the more you will enjoy snowboarding. Also they are easier to ride in the powder.
I recommend brands like Lib Tech, Gnu and Arbor. Some other brands have reverse camber boards that aren’t designed very well.

Hope that helps you man. Let me know if u need anymore advice

Thank you all for the advice!

I totally understand that i probably shouldnt buy a board as a newbie smile

Unfortunately (or Fortunately, which ever way you look at it), I’m the type of person that fully commits to something even before i’ve actually done it (its one of habits), but i’ve got the capital to do it so - not really an issue. 

If the Krew and I get a chance to head up locally, than i’d be more inclined to try something out before hand.  Having said that though, given that most of my mates have their funds tied up in the NZ trip in August - this may not happen, at which I’m just gonna buy a board! smile

Thanks for the tips on the boards,  I had a look at the Burton board finder thingamajig and it said the best match for me was a
Burton 150 - any thoughts on this one?

However I’m going to go to the trusnow site and check out the other brands you advised.

Thanks again

Hey MartyMontash, firstly welcome to Boardworld!  cool smile

If you think snowboarding is something you’re going to enjoy, I see no reason why you shouldn’t buy a board as a beginner. The only thing you need to keep in mind is your progression. i.e. Don’t buy a board just for beginners; get a board that will be able to progress with you. Technically this might make things slightly harder in the first few days, but overall it will be a better choice for you.

Out of those three boards you listed, I would definitely go for the Burton Custom. Quite simply, the Custom is a better board than the Bullet and I feel the Bullet could be unnecessarily wide for your size 10 boots. The Custom is fine to learn on but it’s not a board you will out-progress. Of course there are many boards on the market that would be suitable too.

In regards to size, I’d aim for something bigger than 154. If you’re getting the custom, I would put you on the 158, or the 156 if you want to go small.

Where do you live? Last piece of advice. Go to your local snowboard store and talk to them. The information and customer service will be second to none and there are some really good deals going around. You will also get your tax back at the airport if the goods are leaving the country (duty free shopping!). Not to mention Trusnow won’t be able to ship Burton and many other brands to Australia.

If you have any questions at all, please let me know.

antisense - 22 June 2011 01:13 PM

The hire boards are better to learn on as they are designed specifically for beginners.

this is not necessarily true, they are sometimes just old boards that have been traded in/cheap baords that didnt sell.

If you know your going to stick to this sport then for all means go buy a board. buuut, dont go out and buy the most expensive awesomest board you can find.

Wow, you guys are great!

I live out in Melbourne (Caulfield to be specific)

I’ve mainly been using Trusnow for the reviews, as I found out to my dismay that the bigger brands wont ship to Aus (which you’ve mentioned).

I’ll probably visit a few of the local (One in the City on Hardware lane, Trigger Bros in St Kilda, and some other shop out in Elwood) stores to get some more information and i most definitely wont be spending a bajillion dollars on a snowboard, probably something around the $399 - $499 mark if purchased in Australia.

Rider26 - Can you explain what you meant about getting tax back at the Airport?  Is this if I buy overseas??

Thanks again!

PS - In my 2nd post, I mentioned a Burton 150, I actually meant a Burton Standard 150

don’t go all out in buying a new board first see what style you like the best then look for boards that are designed for that style of riding, it like surfing, if you do surf?

No, if you buy in Australia, spend more than $300, and take the goods out of the country within 30 days of purchase, you will get tax back in Australia before you leave. Excuse the copy and paste, I posted this in another thread.

Tax back at the airport:

Every country is different in terms of proceedure for tax back, but the following applies to taking goods out of Australia…

Any purchase over $300 on a single receipt (you can have 10 items totalling $301, doesn’t matter as long at the receipt total is over $300) is elegible for tax back at the airport. Tax is calculated at 9.09% of the total amount. The receipt needs to be within 30 days prior to travel (you can even use the goods until you leave).

There is a lot of money to be saved if you are buying boards etc… It doesn’t matter if the board was purchased at half price, you still get your tax back.

This applies to ANY goods bought in Australia.

What you need:

- A normal tax receipt with goods listed, totalling $300 or more on the one receipt. The date on the receipt must be 30 days or less to the date of departure. Your full name and address must be printed on the receipt so make sure the store does this for you.

- The goods.

- Your passport.

That’s it.

How to claim it:

It is very easy and doesn’t take more than a few minutes.

- If the goods are small and being carried in your hand luggage (carry on), you go through security and immigration as normal. As you pass immigration just follow the signs to the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS). It is usually right there on the way to your departure gate. Pop in, show the receipt and the goods, and they will credit the tax straight onto your credit card or into your bank account (if you want it into your bank account you need your account number and BSB handy).

- If the goods are large and in your checked luggage (boards, boots etc…), you need to have the good sighted by Customs prior to checking in your luggage. As you get to the airport, go straight to Customs Client Services and show them the goods and receipt. They do a very quick inspection to make sure you have the goods and they stamp the receipt that it’s been checked. Check your bags in as usual. As you pass immigration just follow the signs to the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS). It is usually right there on the way to your departure gate. Pop in, show the receipt and they will credit the tax straight onto your credit card or into your bank account (if you want it into your bank account you need your account number and BSB handy).

Problems, and ways around it:

Just say it’s end of season in Australia, there are good sales and you want to buy a sale board for overseas travel in a few months. You want to buy it now because sale boards are selling quickly. How do you purchase the board now and still get your tax back?

Easy… put your gear on layby. That way you have secured all your equipment at the sale price, you have a few months pay it all off, and you get your tax back. As long as the final payment is made within 30 days of travel, the final receipt will have the date of final payment, meaning you’re all good! This way as well, you can keep adding on little items to your layby and pay it all off at the final payment, so you get your tax back on everything.

I know it sounds complicated, but it’s not. It doesn’t take more than a few minutes to do everything. If you have any questions just let me know.

That’s awesome to know, thanks chief - as well as being a newb Snowboard, i’m also a newb Overseas traveller (this will be my first time)

What’s your boardsports background? I.e. can you skate / surf?

MartyMonstah - 23 June 2011 01:04 AM

That’s awesome to know, thanks chief - as well as being a newb Snowboard, i’m also a newb Overseas traveller (this will be my first time)

No worries at all, mate. Let me know if you need anything else.

Go see the guys at Trigger Bros or one of your other local stores and see what they have on offer. Let them know your situation and budget etc. and I’m sure they will be able to look after you. If you have any specific questions about boards/bindings let us know.

AJ2theC - 23 June 2011 01:10 AM

What’s your boardsports background? I.e. can you skate / surf?

I’m actually new to board sports :S.  Have really wanted to get into it (as my mates do it every season), just havent had the time due to work commitments and have the perfect opportunity right now to take it up - as I’ve just taken a voluntary redundancy and will receive a big payout!

oooohhh bulk disposable cash!!

Certainly sounds like you’re up for a great trip :D