The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

PLACE SAVER FOR K2’s (the slacker) TRIP REPORT

C’mon, hurry up already !!!!!!!

Your taking longer than billy to do her Riders Challenge !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m still at work mate!

zipper

Billy - 15 June 2011 07:59 AM

zipper

As for you billy

You will not show your face around here until you have done your challenge !!!!!!!  cool mad

K2, don’t forget to check out the new trip report contest: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/2508/

Over an hour later….............. chirp chirp chirp….........................

Halfway through….. shut eye

I’ll have to read it tomorrow, its HUMP day after all and I ain’t getting any younger you know !!!!!!!

Azz - 15 June 2011 10:01 AM

I’ll have to read it tomorrow, its HUMP day after all and I ain’t getting any younger you know !!!!!!!

This explains why ya been so active today!!!!!

Go and quench your desire old man!!!!

Azz - 15 June 2011 08:17 AM

zipper

As for you billy

You will not show your face around here until you have done your challenge !!!!!!!  cool mad

Hahahhahaha!!!!!

Looks like you been told Billy!!!!  smirk

Mizu Kuma - 15 June 2011 11:10 AM
Azz - 15 June 2011 08:17 AM

zipper

As for you billy

Hahahhahaha!!!!!

Looks like you been told Billy!!!!  smirk

Haha eeek I know!! I’m trying to round up some mates that will be seen with me!! cool grin

Uploading these photos is taking for ever!!!!!!

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 15 June 2011 12:35 PM

Uploading these photos is taking for ever!!!!!!

Much like your TR!!!!  smirk

Ok, Here it is. Sorry for it being massive. Just had a lot to tell and lots of pics

Sorry, have to put into two posts
K2_SCS’s Opening Weekend – Mt Hotham and Mt FeathertopSo had a big opening weekend planned which included snowboarding and partying at Hotham,hiking and possible boarding at Mt Feathertop, and finish on Monday with some whitewater paddling on a steep creek off Falls Creek.

Day 1, Saturday 11 June – Mt Hotham
Got up nice and early and left home for my long solo drive to Mt Hotham at 4am. Was a real cruisy drive as there was no traffic at that time on a Saturday morning. It was forcasted to be a great weather day with plenty of sun, but I knew that it was going to be cold as when I drove past Glenrowan it was -3degs!
Got to Mt Hotham gates at about 8-830am and slowly started making my way up the awesome drive. Skys were clear and the sun was out which made for an awesome sight.Took my time up the hill taking photos here and there.

Mt Feathertop from a distance

I stopped close to the top to take some photos of The Razorback and Mt Feathertop which we were planning to hike the next day.  Even though we were hiking from the other side of Feathertop, it was looking like there was going to be some nice snow cover for us.

The Razorback (southern) and Mt Feathertop

Cant remember exactly what direction I was in this photo, but think in the distance right inline with the pole is Buller and neighbouring mtns.

Amazing Victorian Apls with Mt Buffalo in the distance

My car in all its glory kitted with snowboards, kayak, and chains.

Once I got to the village I just took my time cruising around taking in all the excitement of opening day. Popped into resort managment and picked up my All Mountain Season Entry Permit (Stoked! cool smile ) and then scooted across to Hotham Central to catch up with my mate who is doing his first season there. Picked up my Hotham/Falls Season Pass (double Stoked!)
Went to my car to get all kitted up and while I was getting changed at my car I was getting so many weird looks as people drove/walked past because I had the kayak on my roof. People thought I was nutty ( they may be right LOL ).
Cruised around Playground twice and caught up with Billy there. We decided to head over to Big D for some riding which involved more than 3 turns…. was more like 15 then done haha.
We looked at the clock and it was after 12.15 so we decied we had already missed beer o clock. Headed into The General Store, otherwise know as The Genny and got onto the beers.
Pub photo
Billy n I did a few more runs as we met up with another group of friends of mine that didnt make it up from Harrietville till after 2pm, slackers!
After Billy left to find her lift, I went straight back to the pub and had some more beers while waiting for everyone to finish their day off. Weather came in a bit so I was happy in there.
That night ended up being massive lots and lots of jugs of beer and pizza ( awesome at The Genny).
Awesome times at that Pub, hope to have beers and tell tales with some of you there.
On my way back to my bed, I stoped in at Jack Frost as there was the regular bloke slapping away on the guitar belting out some classic pub tunes. Left there bout 12.30am and went to bed as I knew I had to get up at 7am to meet at Bright at 8am

Day 2 Sunday 12 June – Mt Feathertop
Shit, whats the time?!! I slept through my phone alarm cos my phone died! Got dressed and started the car and it was 8am, the time I was sposed to meet my friends in Bright. Start driving and charge my phone. Get out to take chains off and they have jammed. Not a good start to the day. Get back in the car and have missed calls from my friends. They say not to rush and get themselves ready.
Its foggy as hell up at Hotham this morning so I was worried we were going to see nothing when we climbed Feathertop.
Drivin through the gates by now. And I have been taking my time driving down the hill, and I always drive super carefully up at the snow. There was no snow near the road for quite a long time, but out of nowhere I must have hit some black ice, because my car was sliding off the road towards the wall at about 30kph or so. It all happend in slow motion, but I managed to get control of the car by accelerating while counterstearing and as the tyre hit the dirt ditch I got traction and straightened her out. Pulled over when I could and got my breath back and checked for any damage. Luckily none.
Definately not a good start to the day!
Driving from Harrietville now to Bright, and as I go through Smoko, I for some stupid reason decide to speed a little bit. Go round the corner, and I see a silver car in the distance on the side of the road and I knew I was cooked. 3 demerits and $240 fine. I have never been so angry with myself as I never speed, especially up around the snow. And on a Public Holiday Weekend! So stupid!

Meet with one of the 4wds waiting for me and I quickly grab what I think I need in a rush and we jump on the road to catch up with the other vehical and head up the 4x4 track towards Feathertop.
We head up 4x4 tracks coming into Mt Feathertop from the north. Was cool going up tracks that had snow on them.

Was really cool being able to see through the the trees.

Just caught up with the other car as they were cutting trees that crossed the track. Another mishap of the day is one of the people were cutting with axe and misshit the log, axe bounced off and straight into their little toe! Cut the shoe bad but luckily didnt cut the toe off. I think it is broken though.

Get to the top of the track and look to the clouds where we are bound for.

In the distance to the north, you can see the valley where Mt Beauty lies.

Mt Fainter to our left

Getting geared up

The walk along the lower ridge line was nice and protected by trees. Amazing atmosphere.

Would have been cool if the bloody cord didnt get in the way on the left.

Saw this amazing rainbow go from the left valley, over the ridge and down into the other valley.

Where we came from. Now above the tree line. The spur in the distance with the white patch of snow is where we came from.

Geared up in my random bits of clothing I grabbed in a rush. Grabbed my Skiing Sucks beanie too LOL no one liked that being all skiers haha. Mt Fainter behind us with in the far background to the left is Little Bogong and Mt Bogong to its right in the cloud.

Started our way up the snow with skis and snowshoes and to our disapointment the cloud and super winds came in.

Lots of steep gullys and bowls.

Luckily the heavens cleared for us!

Bogong High Plains in the distance

Treking along the ridge

Me looking like a complete muppet!

Finally made it to the Summit of the second highest mountain in Victoria!

It was amazing up there. You could see so much in every direction. From Bogong, to the High Plains, to Mt Hotham, Mt Fainter, Mt Buffalo and everything else! Was a pretty magical place.
Due to the late start we quickly turned around and started heading back down as we were going to run out of daylight if we took too long.
Teacher Boy doing a pathetic pose photo.

Heading down again

Fainter and Bogong behind that. Amazing views

Back down to a bit lower where I left my board and pack. Was too windy and unridable up to the summit to take it.

Boots on. Still look like a muppet

Pure bliss

Snow looks great and ridable, and was bout 30cm in spots, but wasnt realy ridable as the base wasnt packed and you were just hitting rocks and shrub.