The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Best 1st day Snowboarding cure?

Poll: Best way to counter 1st day snowboarding pain
Total Votes: 34
Stretching
Hot Shower
Electric Blanket
Never stop boarding
Other
zhenjie - 11 July 2009 01:22 PM

Hydrotherapy = better then hot shower. Its basically a mix between cold and hot water, that gets the blood circulating between your internal organs/core and your skin. Google it, its very effective and you can do it on your own shower. Similar to footy players taking cold and warm baths.

Stretching is good too. Certainly most of the aches I get are a result of lost flexibility.

Wearing compression garments can help as well.

Hydrotherapy works great. I use it for hockey and sometimes after a long day of snowboarding. What it essentially does it contract your muscles for you when you use cold water and the opposite for hot water, promoting blood circulation and also removing byproducts such as lactic acid from your muscles.
A good recovery strategy is also to eat high GI foods after smile

pub crawl works well.
you go from the warm heated bars, to cold outside, to warm heated bar, and repeat!!
just like sauna to ice-lake etc :D

Butters - 03 August 2009 01:15 PM

pub crawl works well.
you go from the warm heated bars, to cold outside, to warm heated bar, and repeat!!

Oh love your thinking Butters!

Butters - 03 August 2009 01:15 PM

pub crawl works well.

Stuff going outside in the cold. Just go from warm heated bars to a nice chilled brew, and repeat all night long for desired effect smile

Heres the link to a real useful website on how to beat muscle soreness
http://www.medicalmoment.org/_content/helpyourself/apr04/218578.asp

drinking promotes swelling & dehydrates you which is only gonna make it worse.
I must be getting old but I’d prefer most of the time an earlier night & knowing I can be out on the hill before the crowds in the morning…especially if its snowing overnight. Drinking can be fun but no way is it more fun than zipping through fresh pow, or at least fresh corduroy!

To make that first day back on the slope less painful. I Start off with a warm up of stretches (as show on another page) prior to gearing up. Remember to repeat those series of stretches after getting of the lift or gondola and before strapping in. The cold interval while on the lift has cooled down your body so it is important to do the series of stretch before your first run. It wise to do those stretches after have any break like lunch. Its is also important to do those same series of stretch at days end after hanging your gear to dry. If your in Japan go straight to the Onsen after stretching, it the next best thing to having a massage. Do this every time you your going to do any physical work. It dose work.

Johno - i thought stretching cold muscles was a no no? therefore no a good idea before you head up the hill or after a break?

But if you are staying in thredbo walking to the lifts could be a warm up so you could do it before getting on the lift?

This is a geniune questions as I don’t do any other exercise apart from skiing so am a noob at this… And it needs to change BIG time!

Agreed you should warm up before you stretch, so your muscles become more elastic and less prone to injury. After you’re warm, static stretches are fine.

Link to my warm up and stretching article - https://www.boardworld.com.au/snowboarding/content/category/warm-up-cool-down/

Did someone mention alcohol????  cool hmm

yep the general rule “pe teacher cords” speaking here, is to “sweat before you stretch”. So do some kind of light activity that gets you into a light sweat before you wanna do much stretching. Depending how far away from the lifts you have parked, then walking to the lifts might be it! haha

Sorry that I couldn’t explain it better but. If you click on the snow tab above, the next page has a menu on the left, click on Health & fitness. A drop menu appears with warm-up & cool down. It also has upper and lower body stretching routines. This has all the correct info you need.

Two words - HOT… TUB cool smile

It is the business! Get in there after a shred, stretch in there too while your muscles are as hot as they can be and drink lots of water. Works a treat for me.

Also someone said electric blanket all night. I’m not to sure about that one cause it dries you out and hydration is a big part of letting your muscles regenerate.
If you turn it off before you sleep though that would be good for u.
Just a thought.

Love this thread, i just remember being that sore I struggled to lift my head up when I woke up haha!

Oh the whip lash neck. I hate that. Hot tubs or showers can’t fix that.
That’s when you bring the GF some ice cream in return for a massage.