The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Thermal Tips

Hey guys quick question.

Looking into buying some thermals this season and was wondering what are the best tech to look for?

Saw some 100% wool ones and then found the Polypropylene variety and was wondering that would be better and any brands I should look at that are recommended?

Peace.

You have a few options with first layer thermals…

Polypropylene:

Pros: Your cheapest option. They do the job fine - lightweight, breathable, warm. Approx $35 a piece.
Cons: Generally tight fitting. No style points. They start to smell before the other materials do.

Brand name first layers (Burton etc..):

Pros: Super comfy, baggier than polypro, stylish. They come in a vairety of weights (for colder or warmer weather).
Cons: More expensive than polypro.

Merino wool:

Pros: Very warm and breathable. Very good quality.
Cons: Some people don’t find them as comfortable (itchy) as the other options (although they do come in various softnesses). Generally quite expensive.

My pick is the brand name first layers. I have tried them all… in my opinion they offer the best all round option. Technical fabric (warm and highly breathable), versitile (weight options), comfortable, and more stylish than your other options.

I’ve had merino wool ones by ice breaker and found myself cold all the time.

Brought a burton one a couple of years ago and it’s toasty as. Got a new one this season and it’s great also.

I have to agree, Burton make a great first layer. I find the midweight to be great for most conditions… maybe a bit warm for Spring.

rider26 - 06 July 2009 08:40 AM

You have a few options with first layer thermals…
My pick is the brand name first layers. I have tried them all… in my opinion they offer the best all round option. Technical fabric (warm and highly breathable), versitile (weight options), comfortable, and more stylish than your other options.

Maybe you should model them all and post pics smile

Sure, anything for Boardworld members.. wink

Here is a photo of me modelling the Burton midweight top and lightweight pants while eating a sandwich. Well, it’s not all of them, but it’s a start.. enjoy!

And I should probably clarify, I meant i have tried all the different tpyes (polypro, brand name, and merino), didn’t mean that I have tried all the brands.

has anyone had any experience with skins as far as either top or bottom layering (ie legs and torso not first/middle layer)?

i just find them comfortable now due to wearing them for quite a few years now for sport, and was yeah wondering whether they would be warm enough and/or have a similar effect to what they are meant for in sport as far as supposed soreness reduction etc…

thoughts?

Jeremy did a good job of laying out the differences and details.

The idea is to NOT wear cotton.
and it is important that you know why. This goes for your socks too!
Cotton holds in moisture like a sponge, it will absorb it. this moisture and sweat collects and your under-layer garments will get WET. wet clothes in a cold environment = bad.
your garments then freeze and you dont get warm, you get cold.
This tends to happen after you go in the lodge for a short time and then head back out, or later in the day as the temperature drops.

I’m a big fan of polyester first layer.
Brands?
Of course high end brands like Patagoina are nice, and soft, but most expensive.
I have many tops and bottoms from Burton and they are always comfortable.
I have a Bonfire first layer pant that is my favorite, it fits just a little tighter than my Burtons do on average.
I have a couple first layer tops from Volcom that I dislike and dont even know why I keep them. One has padded elbows (Volcolm always does weird things with their items, I’m not a big fan of Volcom anyway).
I have a couple other generic brands that work, but are a little less comfortable.

Hot chilly’s is a popular brand I see around my area, I dont know if they sell Down Under or not, but they are simple polyester that works and cheaper than name brand.
I’ve seen more and more people wearing Under Armor tight fitting stuff, it will do the job.
There’s many items you may all ready own that you can use, especially if you are a runner or cyclist that has similar garments.

bangabain - 06 July 2009 01:56 PM

has anyone had any experience with skins as far as either top or bottom layering (ie legs and torso not first/middle layer)?

i just find them comfortable now due to wearing them for quite a few years now for sport, and was yeah wondering whether they would be warm enough and/or have a similar effect to what they are meant for in sport as far as supposed soreness reduction etc…

thoughts?

Yes Skins work well for the snow, they are warm and breathable which is what you want. Burton came out with their own version of compression thermals, same thing as Skins really. If you need more warmth just add a fleece layer.

I dont know what is meant by skins…
Burton had a few items they called N2S for next to skin.
Which basically meant first layer, but these items were kind of thick.
I’ve got one of the shirts from this line, but I usually still wear a first layer under it out of habit.
I use it as a mid-layer is what I’m saying. It took me a while to get used to it.

Well, that’s basically the same thing as first layer garments I’ve been talking about only tighter.
Under Armor makes that stuff.

The Burton N2S items that I mentioned arent tight like that.
I dont think items that tight would be comfortable.

Skins are awesome.

I always wear my 3/4 leggings under my pants.