The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Are boots the most important piece of equipment?

A lot of snowboarders use custom footbeds, and they make a big difference as pow_frother pointed out. I always use custom footbeds. They are absolutely essential for anyone with orthotics or feet that pronate, but anyone can benefit from them.

They can transfer from boot to boot.

There is information on footbeds at the bottom of the article I wrote on boot fitting.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/content/category/boot-fitting/

It would be good to get snownut and Daz72 to comment on this as they are both expert boot fitters and regularly make custom footbeds for snowboarders.

Another vote from this little black duck for boots - you can have the latest board, etc but if your boots are painful/sore/uncomfortable then you are not going to enjoy your day are you? I don’t think you can put a value on comfort!

One other thing I think people tend to underestimate is gloves - if your fingers are frozen at the start of the day, then its going to be a long day!! My +1 suffers from cold fingers/hands terribly, but we got her a pair of super warm mountaineering gloves (Outdoor Research Alti Mitts) - since then she has never whinged about cold hands - a happier +1 tends to mean more riding time which is OK with me!

Comfy boots and warm gloves….you can work around everything else smile

kort - 05 July 2009 08:19 AM

One other thing I think people tend to underestimate is gloves - if your fingers are frozen at the start of the day, then its going to be a long day!!

I couldn’t agree more.

Yeah another +1 for boots.

Spent like 2.5 hours at my local trying on boots, if your looking for a budget just don’t go the pro models.

I saved $250 on a pair of 32 Prospects by going standard instead of the JP Pro Model.

In other words, spare no expense on your boots and your in for an incredible season! smile

rider26 - 05 July 2009 05:56 AM

A lot of snowboarders use custom footbeds, and they make a big difference as pow_frother pointed out. I always use custom footbeds. They are absolutely essential for anyone with orthotics or feet that pronate, but anyone can benefit from them.

They can transfer from boot to boot.

There is information on footbeds at the bottom of the article I wrote on boot fitting.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/content/category/boot-fitting/

It would be good to get snownut and Daz72 to comment on this as they are both expert boot fitters and regularly make custom footbeds for snowboarders.

a few points to make on footbeds
1-  anything that is molded to the shape of your foot can only be a good thing.
2- anything that minimizes movement inside your boots can only be a good thing
because your feet are strapped into bindings and there is alot of forces that are transfered through your ankles and arches through forward and back, side to side and rotational movements, a footbed that supports your ankles and arches is a must if you want the best out of your boots. the more neutral and stable your ankle is the better.
the less movement inside your boots the better. standard footbes that come with boots are flat,soft and flimsy. they do absolutly nothing.

What about would some nice custom footbeds cost?
and it would be nice for most everyone on her to know where in AUS they can get this service.

I know where in the states I can, and a few years back it would have cost me about $100 at the resort’s shop… I never shopped around, though.

For those that have footbeds, do they transfer to a new boot easily?
Or do you need to get another fitting when you buy new boots?

Locpender - 04 July 2009 07:43 AM

thinking of getting some custom footbeds done and my inners heat moulded - what are your thoughts on that?

have been wearing my orthotics (hard plastic style) - but u don’t great ankle flex with them. Doing calf raises in them is terrible!

you might be stiff in your ankle joints which will not allow much toe edge movement. Have you thought of getting heel lifts put into your boots. They are cheap and can give you that much needed relief for toe edge response. Custom foot beds are great as they are made to your foot shape and you just leave them in your snowboarding boots.
Try riding with heel lifts and your orthotics and see if that makes a difference.

What about would some nice custom footbeds cost?

Between $100 - $160 depending on what you go for. Some stores will also discount this price significantly if you buy them with your boots.

and it would be nice for most everyone on her to know where in AUS they can get this service.

Most good snowbaord stores offer this service. It is usually only done by expert boot fitters. From experience, I can highly recommend STM in Sydney. If you need to know other locations just ask on the forums.

For those that have footbeds, do they transfer to a new boot easily?

Not a problem. Just pull them out and put into your new boots, just like a normal footbed.

the discussion about footbeds just got it’s own topic thread!
https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/238/