The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Too Much Gun?!?

Hi all,

I’m an average skilled rider, and although that doesnt give you much to go on, I’ll try to elaborate.

I get out a couple of times a year, for a few days at a time, I don’t charge super hard, nor do I really ever go into the park. I can get around the mountain and manage to navigate most trails without dying. I basically cruise my 37yo body around and enjoy. I don’t mind going fast but I would’nt call my self advanced by any means.

I decided to buy a new board this year after hiring for a while and just getting frustrated with the crap bindings etc. all that comes with all that.

I explained my situation to the gentleman at the store and maybe he had faith in my ability or at least my chances of improvement… or he wanted to offload a particular board.

I ended up with a 2017 GNU Billygoat, which I have seen more reviews of now- it is pegged as an aggressive, unforgiving advanced riders board for “hard chargers”. Although he did give me the choice between a couple of other boards with similar specs, I, although uneducated, made the decision, so the blame is on me.

My question is, is this too much board for me?

Should I try to get rid of it in favour of a better suited intermediate board? I don’t want to hate my few days out there this year.

Or should I just eat sh!t and get on with getting better?

Sorry for the novel.

Vitals:
110kg
183cm
GNU BillyGoat201 162cm
K2 Ashen Boots
Ride Capo Bindings

J

Welcome to Boardworld, @BOGANized! ?

The Billy Goat is an aggressive and responsive board for sure. Might not be what you’re looking for by the sound of it… ?

That said, I believe that everyone can progress their riding, regardless of age or current skill level. Sometimes, a board will push you to ride in a way you’re not used to, more than you’re aware you’re capable of. But this board will always be an aggressive ride, and if you’re looking for a more forgiving ride to cruise around on, there are certainly better options out there. It’s a big investment when you consider not only the cost of the board but the cost of being at the snow. You should enjoy your time out there.

Have you ridden the board yet? If not, do you have the option of swapping for another board where you purchased it from?

Thanks for the reply Rider26

Yep I’ll contact them and see what is possible- otherwise I’m just going to go for it.?

Cheers. J

I agree with Rider, if you haven’t ridden it, there should be no reason they wouldn’t let you swap it for something more forgiving if you’re still going to buy from them. If you’ve ridden it however, you’re probably stuck with it or pawn it off on ebay or one of the mountain’s buy and sell pages.

In Australia, there really isn’t a huge need for charger boards since we don’t really have the terrain to charge. Something more forgiving is definitely the way to go, especially if you’re only planning a few days a year.

well the capos certainly match that type of board. unless you plan on buttering around
while riding, why not just keep it and adapt your riding to suit? cruising groomers can get boring imo,
but with that board you can work on your carving game, and also bomb it down the hill. in the long run
you will be as better rider and stepping down to a more forgiving board in the future will be a lot easier.
im assuming its a full camber directional shape? setback stance?

Hi Brenno

Yep, set back stance, symmetrical shape, cambered with partial rocker in the middle.

No luck with board swap-

My friends, who I would consider advanced riders are telling me I’ll be fine, and that I’m better than I give myself credit for.

I’m just going to try to adapt to it. Worst case, I’ll sell it later, chalk it up to education.

Thanks for all the help guys. J

Go for gold! ?

Let us know how you go. You’ll probably surprise yourself. Use the board to its full advantage. Go fast, carve hard, pop some ollies!

BOGANized - 09 August 2017 07:19 PM

Hi Brenno

Yep, set back stance, symmetrical shape, cambered with partial rocker in the middle.

No luck with board swap-

My friends, who I would consider advanced riders are telling me I’ll be fine, and that I’m better than I give myself credit for.

I’m just going to try to adapt to it. Worst case, I’ll sell it later, chalk it up to education.

Thanks for all the help guys. J

mate, you wont need to. couple of days on it you will adapt. best thing is ride with those guys you
consider better than yourself. it will push you to keep up, and in doing so you will realise the potential
the board has. and like jez said, carve hard and pop some ollies! load those stiff flexing boards up
and they really launch!