The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Another board recommendation thread

Hi all,

Looking for another board. I’m 75kg and ride park in OZ and chase pow overseas (if I’m lucky). Currently have Forum destroyer double dog 152cm. Not the greatest board in pow and lacks the pop of a camber board.

Is there a one board quiver out there that has plenty of pop and floats in pow or should I get two boards?

Looking at a Capita DOA or Yes The Greats, neither will be a great POW board unless they’re 156cm, which isn’t the best length for park.

Thoughts?

Hey @Washed Up,

Actually, the board I would recommend in the YES. lineup is the Standard. Romain rides this board for park and backcountry pow. It shares the same core as the Greats (which is awesome), but it has the directional volume twin shape which gives increased float in pow. New for 2018, it also comes with the backseat inserts for surfing pow on the deep days. This board is epic. Quite similar to the Greats but it performs a bit better in powder. Ultimate one board quiver right there!

https://www.boardworld.com.au/products/yes-standard-151-snowboard-2018
https://www.boardworld.com.au/products/yes-standard-153-snowboard-2018
https://www.boardworld.com.au/products/yes-standard-156-snowboard-2018

Thanks Rider26, sounds like a good option. I’ll check out the 153cm, 155cm would have been ideal.

Have you ridden one?

No worries, @Washed Up!

Yes, I have. Pretty much my favourite board in the YES. lineup, along with the Greats. Same camber profile, same core, same base, both are true twins… the Greats carves a bit better due to the asymmetrical shape and flex (best carving hybrid I have ever ridden), and the Standard floats better due to a wider waist width and directional volume twin design.

Just to explain the directional volume twin feature… The board is a true twin, the nose and tail lengths are identical (as it would have to be for a true twin), but the actual VOLUMES of the nose and tail are offset, which causes the tail to drop and the nose to float in pow. Brilliant design.

Hey @Washed Up,

Yes, I have. What do you need to know? ?

@rider26

I was wondering what your thoughts were of the board?

Sounds like it’s pretty similar to the Yes Standard you previously recommended.

My understanding they are made in the same factory?

Out of the two, which did you prefer?

Did you ride them in similar conditions?

Cheers,

Hey @Washed Up,

It’s an incredible board and I loved riding it.

I find the regular Jones Mountain Twin more similar in overall ride to the YES. Standard and Greats.

The Ultra Mountain Twin is the same shape and profile to the Mountain Twin. But it is a faster and more aggressive and responsive ride. Faster base, upgraded core, lighter weight overall due to the better materials. It has more pop and stability with more dampening, so if you’re an aggressive rider, it’s an option worth considering. Carves exceptionally well. It is more expensive than all three of the other boards, though.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the info @rider26 .

Both boards sounds pretty good, just trying to figure out what size board I should get. I’m 77kg and 8.5 size boot. My 152cm Forum catches on toe side turns and lacks drive particularly in choppy conditions. My 153cm reserve camber Westmark was fine in similar conditions, but not sure how camrock will perform.

I’m leaning towards a 153cm Standard or 154cm Jones.

What size do you recommend?

Cheers,

Always a pleasure, @Washed Up.

Firstly, a bit about CamRock. Out of all hybrids, CamRock performs the closest to full camber. The cambered section between your feet provides stability, edging performance, and energy/pop. The rockered nose and tail only really come into play in the following situations: turn initiation (quicker/easier and less catchy), buttering and pressing, and in powder (increased float). So I honestly don’t think you’ll find it performs significantly differently to the full cambered board you’re used to. You will probably find it a bit more playful and versatile, while still giving the expected performance characteristics of camber. This is why I’m a huge fan of CamRock as a hybrid.

In regards to size, I feel you’re looking at the right sizes, especially if you’re mainly riding park in Australia, with the hope of riding some overseas pow. With all things considered, overall I feel the best board for you will be either of the Mountain Twins in 154. It provides just a bit more length for you which makes it slightly better geared for overseas; it also has a narrower waist width than the Standard 153 by 3mm, which is more appropriate for your size 8.5 boots (and medium bindings). Mountain Twin or Ultra Mountain Twin 154 would be my pick for sure.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks @rider26 . Think I’m going to get a ultra 154cm if I can find one.

Cheers,