The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Boots for Skinny Ankles

Hey guys,

Just asking for any input from other peoples experiences with boots for anyone with particularly skinny heels. For this season in Whistler I went with a pair of K2 Maysis and now 18 days of riding in I’m already finding the need to plug a bit of volume at my ankle with J-bars - which tends to result in me over tightening the BOA’s and crippling my feet.

Last winter here I used Ride Triads (however this produced a terrible pressure point in the tongue on one boot which I couldn’t solve), which I also found this issue. Before this, the first boots I owned were fitted at ESS back in Australia, these were a pair of Deeluxe (mind you, in size 11.5 US versus the 10.5 US that I’ve had in the Ride and K2’s).

This year I also tried on the Vans Hi-Standard and Aura but didn’t feel much of an anchor keeping my heel down, at least not any better than the K2’s.

Any suggestions, opinions or experiences would be good!

Ps. I’ve been slacking on my Boardworld contribution for the last while, when is the next Boardworld Whistler shred happening, I’d love to join!

Hey @james88,

Where did you buy the current boots from? I would take them back to see if there’s anything they can do. They might be able to put some padding in the shell to give a tighter squeeze where you need it.

I would also recommend visiting Comor. In my opinion, they are the best snowboard boot fitters in Whistler. But you probably want to avoid buying another pair if you can have the boots modified.

Do you use any after-market or custom footbeds in your boots?

I find some of the higher-end Burton boots are good for narrow heels. Try on a huge range of boots before you buy your next pair.

For sure, we’ll organise a meet up soon! wink

Hey Jez,

I got them from Mountain Riders - I work for the company so try to sort out my boots via them and just went through each boot they sold, obviously they don’t have access to Burton, but that is useful info for my next pair!

Yeah I put in a pair of blue Superfeet a couple weeks ago, and have the option to get some customs done through my shop so might consider that later in the season.

But that info on the Burton’s is good to know, I will check them out next time.

Sweet, that sounds good!

Yeah, it’s worth giving them a go. I have a narrow heel myself, and I have always found the top-end Burton boots give the best heel hold (at least for my foot shape). I’m currently riding the SLX.