The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

A Jones board for Jonesy

G’day anyone and everyone,

I’m looking to buy a Jones board to start building my quiver (I only have the one currently). I will be travelling to Niseko/Rusutsu/moiwa/Kiroro in Feb 2017 for both on Piste and a back/side country powder tour. I am interested in either an Explorer or a Flagship and have a couple of questions for anyone in the know.

I want the board that will best suit my ability/style. I like the idea of the camber profile of these boards and from what I understand both are not pow specific and will allow me the versatility of the groomers and the powder in Japan. I don’t need it to have versatility for the Aussie season as I am looking to build up a bit of a quiver over the coming seasons. Cost is not an issue out of those boards so if the more pricey Flagship is the better option and worth the extra cost I would be happy to go that way.

I mainly enjoy getting some good turns in and carving away down the groomers, but am looking forward to a lot of carving/freeriding through the deep Japow. I don’t really ride much park (yet, but hoping to progress more with that in the near future and will buy a better suited board), but enjoy hitting some small jumps and natural features. I don’t ride much switch although I will be trying to here and there on the groomers to get my hours up, but certainly doesn’t need to be the ideal switch riding board (again, looking to build a quiver so will hopefully add a true twin down the track). My ability level would be somewhere in the intermediate—> high intermediate range.

I would also like to know which size board I should be looking at. I am 6’ tall, 75kgs, and have size 11 DC Travis Rice boots (sole length is just under 32cm). My stance width currently is about 58cm (15/-12).

I believe @amine may be the one in the know with the specifics of the Jones boards and @rider26 always has invaluable advice on these threads but any and all advice/experiences are appreciated -thanks in advance!

While both of these boards sound like quality boards that will suit my style, I must admit I also like the idea of having a board with my name on it! If only I could get the Jones factory to slap a “y” on the end of their logo for me!

Cheers.

-Jonesy

I haven’t had any experience with any of the Jones boards but from what you’re describing I think the flagship fits your need perfectly. But if you’re more focus on freeriding in DEEP pow with the occasional sidehits and drops I think the Jones Hovercraft would be sick.

skip11 - 17 September 2016 07:44 PM

I haven’t had any experience with any of the Jones boards but from what you’re describing I think the flagship fits your need perfectly. But if you’re more focus on freeriding in DEEP pow with the occasional sidehits and drops I think the Jones Hovercraft would be sick.

Thanks @skip11. It does look like a sick board and I have been tempted however I really want to try and progress my much neglected switch while on piste this trip. I would love to buy 2 boards to take with me but I’m not sure I should splurge as I need to buy some other things also before the trip.

On that note about pre trip purchases, can anyone shed some light on getting tax back on purchases you take with you? I have heard if you purchase within 60 days of travelling you can get your tax back or something. Is that right? Forgive my ignorace, first time OS traveller!

Ah ok, then get the Flagship. On your first post you said it doesn’t need to be ideal for switch riding so I think Flagship would better than the Mountain Twin. If you can deal with tired back leg than maybe the Aviator, it has aggressive camber and better for riding switch.

So:

Freeriding w/ little bit switch = Flagship
Freestyle/freeriding w/ lots of switch = mountain twin
Freeriding/freestyle but aggressive ride = Aviator
Deep pow and sick carver = Hovercraft

Thanks man @skip11. Where does the Explorer fit into that range, would it possibly be better suited for me being that I’m only starting to push the high end of intermediate? Or is the Flagship just that little more on the pow side of the all mountain range than the Eplorer?

Has anyone that has ridden these boards got anything to add?

Also, what size board should I go for with these models. I’m unsure of what waist width range I should be looking for, and whether I need a wide board for my size 11 DC boots. It’s a little difficult finding ideal board sizes having slightly larger feet than average while not being overly heavy. What would be the minimum waist width I should be looking at (for the mentioned boards but also in general for future research on other boards)?

Height: 182cm
Weight: 75kg
Boot size: US11 (31-32cm footprint)
Stance: 58cm width - +15/-12
Ability: Intermediate—> high intermediate

maybe @rider26  can answer this better. But to my knowledge the Explorer is a “lower end” model of the flagship that’s a lil softer and less aggressive.

If you’re going to Japan, go with the bigger sizes the very least 161 imo (unless you went the Hovercraft route, you can downsize). Width I would go with the wide models. I I have size 9 boots and I like boards that’s at least 250mm wide so you don’t drag your toes when carving.

Hey @Jonesy - thanks for your interest in JONES.  And thanks to @skip11 for your awesome advise on this thread.

So, as the aus/nz JONES rep, I can definitely help answer your questions here….

- the 1617 FLAGSHIP is a seriously impressive FR board.  Fast.  Responsive,  Stable at speed (regardless of snow conditions).  And as you would expect its pretty STIFF.  Now our new SPOON TECH certainly helps make this aggressive board ride very smoothly & fluidly, but Jeremy himself rides a stock Flagship (off the rack) for alot of his big mountain riding…..so that tells you how aggressive that board is!  Now for a high intermediate rider its definitely doable, but its not going to feel very ‘nimble’ or agile, its more suited to high speed CHARGING (with it’s stiff flex).

- the 1617 EXPLORER is such a great board (in my opinion).  I have enjoyed riding my demo explorer all season - and its gotten amazing feedback in the demo tent (and worth noting, is that it also won a TWS Good Wood award in the FR category).  So even though it is where the JONES line “starts”, it is still a very performance based board.  Sintered 7000 base, our new mellow magne traction, our new spoon tech, and a setback of 20mm make this the PERFECT freeride board for someone who is trying to hone their freeriding in resorts and their immediate surroundings.  And with the 20mm setback (versus the flagship’s 30mm) it works great switch and handles the park as well, if thats you thing.

- the 1617 AVIATOR is a weapon!  In a good way.  It is a pure performance board, fast, light, snappy, stable, everything that a top end board should be.  With our 3D power camber, with spoon tech, sintered 9900 base (easily the fastest base you will come across) it is the board in our range for riders who demand camber for its unrivalled response and stability.  It wont be as forgiving for you in the powder (seeing as your in the high intermediate ranks), its more of an all rounder board for someone who charges ALL THE TIME.  I love my 152cm Avaitor (for ripping high speed resort laps), but I certainly would favour something with some Nose Rocker for your Japan trip.

So my recommendation is the Explorer actually.  And based on your stats, I would say that the 161W would be great for your body weight, ability, and foot size. 

Let me know if you have any more questions.

amine - 19 September 2016 09:37 AM

Hey @Jonesy - thanks for your interest in JONES.  And thanks to @skip11 for your awesome advise on this thread.

So, as the aus/nz JONES rep, I can definitely help answer your questions here….

- the 1617 FLAGSHIP is a seriously impressive FR board.  Fast.  Responsive,  Stable at speed (regardless of snow conditions).  And as you would expect its pretty STIFF.  Now our new SPOON TECH certainly helps make this aggressive board ride very smoothly & fluidly, but Jeremy himself rides a stock Flagship (off the rack) for alot of his big mountain riding…..so that tells you how aggressive that board is!  Now for a high intermediate rider its definitely doable, but its not going to feel very ‘nimble’ or agile, its more suited to high speed CHARGING (with it’s stiff flex).

- the 1617 EXPLORER is such a great board (in my opinion).  I have enjoyed riding my demo explorer all season - and its gotten amazing feedback in the demo tent (and worth noting, is that it also won a TWS Good Wood award in the FR category).  So even though it is where the JONES line “starts”, it is still a very performance based board.  Sintered 7000 base, our new mellow magne traction, our new spoon tech, and a setback of 20mm make this the PERFECT freeride board for someone who is trying to hone their freeriding in resorts and their immediate surroundings.  And with the 20mm setback (versus the flagship’s 30mm) it works great switch and handles the park as well, if thats you thing.

- the 1617 AVIATOR is a weapon!  In a good way.  It is a pure performance board, fast, light, snappy, stable, everything that a top end board should be.  With our 3D power camber, with spoon tech, sintered 9900 base (easily the fastest base you will come across) it is the board in our range for riders who demand camber for its unrivalled response and stability.  It wont be as forgiving for you in the powder (seeing as your in the high intermediate ranks), its more of an all rounder board for someone who charges ALL THE TIME.  I love my 152cm Avaitor (for ripping high speed resort laps), but I certainly would favour something with some Nose Rocker for your Japan trip.

So my recommendation is the Explorer actually.  And based on your stats, I would say that the 161W would be great for your body weight, ability, and foot size. 

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks @amine for the info. I suspected the explorer may better suit me, but @skip11 ‘s comments have got me thinking about the Hovercraft again as well! If building a quiver it couldn’t hurt to have something more on the pow side than another allrounder. This would mean taking my current board with me too.

One week of my 2 weeks in Japan will be playing around on the trails with a mate (hopefully forcing myself to ride switch here and there), but still searching for POW stashes and some tree runs. The other will be on an instructed & guided tour focused on pow and DEEP POW but with some resort riding. Hmmm, I’ll do some thinking and more research before I ramble on too much here and get back to you…

Sorry for all the questions and thanks heaps for the advice! @amine @skip11

Thats too funny, @Jonesy I really wanted to tell you to get the Hovercraft, but I didn’t want to burden you with more blabber / info / choices.

The Hovercraft will completely blow your mind for how well a ‘pow board’ can do everything.  I own a 148 (yes, I am very short - 164cm) and I love riding it all all conditions.  Pow = amazing.  Groomers = amazing.  Slush = amazing.  Riding Switch = actually can carve switch but the groomers need to be immaculate (as you don’t have a tail kick!).  Its so stable at speed, and its because it has a good amount of camber underfoot, a super mellow magnetraction that makes it grip on ice, and the wood topsheet (bamboo) makes it very poppy & smooth.

...and something tells me that if you are heading to Japan, then you will be hunting pow most of the time, so you probably should just get your self a kick ass pow board, and The Hovercraft or The StormChaser would be very wise choices!

PS - You can practise your switch riding when your in the Aussie resorts .... why not go to Japan and overdose on Pow Turns!!!!

My thinking is that when I’m riding deep pow, I want it to be “the best day of my life” experience. I don’t want any back leg burn and don’t care about riding switch. I mean really, how many times do we really ride switch in powder? Hence my hovercraft recommendation (and you also mention you wanted to build a quiver so why not the hovy haha). Anything above 30cm I always ride my Fish and it’s always been awesome (don’t have the Hovercraft, should’ve bought one but they haven’t make the 152 yet).

yeah don’t compromise. Get a powder board. Hovercraft or Stormchaser for sure if you’re set on your namesake. Or, if money is no problem, pick up a Japanese powder board when you’re there (Gentemstick, TJ Brand, Field Earth, Moss Snowstick) but you’ll have to research carefully to find one that matches your size.

Well isn’t it nice being told what you want to hear! I was considering this plan earlier but didn’t want to lug 2 boards around with me (spending 2 nights in Tokyo before heading to Niseko). Now I’m thinking I might just take the 2 boards and one set of bindings won’t be that much extra and then I have options.

@amine  & @skip11 I agree with the pow and switch riding, I was never really planning to go switch in pow, it’s just I’m planning on taking a lesson or 2 in the first week and will be spending a bit of time on the groomers with a less experienced mate and would be nice to still have the option of switch here and there. It’s something I really need to work on.

@Gamblor Firstly, love your tag, I love a good simpsons reference (”...and it’s time to snatch her from his neon claws!”)  thumbsup
Don’t think I quite want to shell out that much for a pow board only, but I have read up a bit on the Gentemstick before and was intrigued. As far as the Jones brand name, it’s more a nice bonus to snowboards that, from all reviews and summaries, seem like they are all about what I enjoy in snowboarding. Speaking of which, @amine as the rep for Jones what sort of “family” discount would I be looking at for a hovercraft?!  wink

Thanks for all the input, now I just need to look into this tax back on purchases within 60 days of travelling thing. Then I know if I should wait to buy then or keep my eye out for any sales now.

Hey @Jonesy, sorry for getting to this thread a bit late. I haven’t had much computer time this past week.

I just read through the entire thread. Stoked to see a lot of great advice in here already. @amine knows this range better than anyone, and having read through everything, I tend to agree with the Explorer. I think it’s going to be better suited and more versatile for how you want to use it.

I also quite like the nudge towards the Hovercraft. You’re going to be hunting powder in Japan (at least you should be, haha), and the Hovercraft would suit perfectly.

So, I agree with what’s been said. Explorer for versatility, Hovercraft if you want a pow machine.

Jonesy - 20 September 2016 10:05 PM

I was considering this plan earlier but didn’t want to lug 2 boards around with me (spending 2 nights in Tokyo before heading to Niseko). Now I’m thinking I might just take the 2 boards and one set of bindings won’t be that much extra and then I have options..

If you are spending 2 nights in Tokyo, when you arrive at the airport (Narita or Haneda)...head on over to the Black Cat courier counter (Yamoto transport). Their logo looks a little something like this:

Have the address of the accommodation where you are first going to be snowboarding handy and courier it directly there. You can get your gear sent nearly anywhere in Japan, it takes 2 days and it seems to cost no more than $20-30 and is worth every cent! When you arrive at your accommo and are let in to your room - there is your boardbag!
We had our gear sent directly to Nagano earlier this year…and then our gear sent from our accommodation in Niseko, to the airport at Narita and everything went very smoothly!

The hassle saved of not having to lug your boardbag around is incredible.  try it grin

rider26 - 20 September 2016 10:15 PM

Hey @Jonesy, sorry for getting to this thread a bit late. I haven’t had much computer time this past week.

I just read through the entire thread. Stoked to see a lot of great advice in here already. @amine knows this range better than anyone, and having read through everything, I tend to agree with the Explorer. I think it’s going to be better suited and more versatile for how you want to use it.

I also quite like the nudge towards the Hovercraft. You’re going to be hunting powder in Japan (at least you should be, haha), and the Hovercraft would suit perfectly.

So, I agree with what’s been said. Explorer for versatility, Hovercraft if you want a pow machine.

@rider26  Cheers. I am really leaning towards the Hovercraft idea and taking my other board for playing around/practising switch and 180’s and such for a day or 2, and even hitting some of the smaller park features. It’s not an ideal board for that; Skunk ape 157W -long story how I ended up with it however, I have managed fine and progressed on the skunk ape over the last 3 seasons. I’m not expecting a huge, instant improvement from buying boards better suited to specific activities (POW/carving, park/switch etc) but I do feel I could benefit from something a little narrower. Even as a wide POW board the Hovercraft is a little tighter in the waist than the skunk.

From looking at the weight ranges, waist width and writeup of the hovercraft it sounds like the 156 would suit. It’s hard to perceive what peoples definitions of “aggressive” or “hard charging” are. I do like to point it down some of the smoother blue groomers and according to GPS the top comfortable speed is in the 75-80kmh range if that helps (about 20kmh quicker than I was comfortable at last season so I’m stoked on that!). It sounds like the 156 could handle “my” charging and provide plenty of float and still be playful in the pow for me to tackle some tighter tree runs, and maybe even attempt my first 3’s! Would you agree?

Thanks again for all the help/advice from all. When I’m ready to pull the trigger, I will be looking to make my purchase from the boardworld store.