The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

A Jones board for Jonesy

cords - 21 September 2016 01:49 PM
Jonesy - 20 September 2016 10:05 PM

I was considering this plan earlier but didn’t want to lug 2 boards around with me (spending 2 nights in Tokyo before heading to Niseko). Now I’m thinking I might just take the 2 boards and one set of bindings won’t be that much extra and then I have options..

If you are spending 2 nights in Tokyo, when you arrive at the airport (Narita or Haneda)...head on over to the Black Cat courier counter (Yamoto transport). Their logo looks a little something like this:

Have the address of the accommodation where you are first going to be snowboarding handy and courier it directly there. You can get your gear sent nearly anywhere in Japan, it takes 2 days and it seems to cost no more than $20-30 and is worth every cent! When you arrive at your accommo and are let in to your room - there is your boardbag!
We had our gear sent directly to Nagano earlier this year…and then our gear sent from our accommodation in Niseko, to the airport at Narita and everything went very smoothly!

The hassle saved of not having to lug your boardbag around is incredible.  try it grin

Thanks heaps @cords for the detailed info. I had stumbled across this in my trip planning research and again in other threads here at BW. I’m concerned if it will get there in time though. I will be arriving in Narita Friday 10th @ 5.05pm then arriving at Niseko (Hirafu) on Sunday 12th @4.50pm. I read somewhere that I should allow 3 days and I would be trying to get it done over a weekend too. Do you think it would make it or do they gaurantee a delivery time? I don’t really want to risk it if there’s a chance my gear won’t arrive until sometime Monday. Theres a good chance I’ll be so amped for pow when I get there that I’ll be looking to do some night boarding Sunday! If I’m in Niseko with no board or gear I’ll be more anxious than Charlie Sheen at a Columbian farmers market!

56 should be good for you. Even Jeremy Jones said the 56 is what he rides when he’s riding the Hovercraft. You can always practice switch on the hovercraft too to challenge your riding more haha. Like this guy.

I agree with @skip11 on the 156 sizing for the Hovercraft. I feel the 156 is ample board for your weight considering how well the Hovercraft floats. It’s also going to be a good, versatile size for carving and bombing of hills. I honestly think you’ll be super stoked on this board!

I really appreciate you wanting to purchase from us, @Jonesy. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if there’s anything you want to discuss regarding a purchase. You can PM me or email: jeremy(at)boardworld.com.au ?

rider26 - 22 September 2016 01:55 PM

I agree with @skip11 on the 156 sizing for the Hovercraft. I feel the 156 is ample board for your weight considering how well the Hovercraft floats. It’s also going to be a good, versatile size for carving and bombing of hills. I honestly think you’ll be super stoked on this board!

I really appreciate you wanting to purchase from us, @Jonesy. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if there’s anything you want to discuss regarding a purchase. You can PM me or email: jeremy(at)boardworld.com.au ?

Cheers @rider26. I have gained quite a bit of helpful info and entertaining/interesting reading from this site so would like to be able to give something back. I respect good customer service and what other board store has communication and advice like this from not just the employees, but other customers as well?!!

I was going to PM you with this question but thought I would add it to the thread in case someone else is searching around for the same info, forgive me if it’s in another thread and I missed it:
I have heard something about getting tax back on purchases you take with you overseas (if purchased within 60 days of leaving the country), could you shed any light on this? Exactly what tax do you get back and how is this achieved?

I have quite a few things I want to buy/update before the trip and if this is the case I may hold off buying until closer to the date of travel. If not I’ll start shopping around spring sales over the next month or 2, a little retail therapy to get me over the end of Aussie season blues!

Hey @Jonesy,

Yes, that’s correct. You can get your tax back when you leave the country with the goods. It’s really easy to do and I can walk you through it. You basically just need a tax invoice showing goods totalling more than $300 on the one invoice and within 60 days of your date of travel. Unless you’re carrying the goods as hand luggage, you need to get the goods sighted at the Customs office before you check in your bags. They stamp the invoice that the goods have been sighted, then after you clear security you pop into the TRS area, show them the invoice, and they credit the money back onto your credit card (or bank account if you give them the details). It’s all pretty easy and doesn’t take too long.

I would suggest you start the process online before you leave as it makes things quicker at the airport: http://trs.border.gov.au/

You get the 10% GST back, which works out to be 9.09% of the total (that includes tax). So, on a $1000 purchase, you would get back $90.91.

More info on the TRS here: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Tour/Are-you-a-traveller

Let me know if you have any questions.

rider26 - 25 September 2016 06:06 PM

Hey @Jonesy,

Yes, that’s correct. You can get your tax back when you leave the country with the goods. It’s really easy to do and I can walk you through it. You basically just need a tax invoice showing goods totalling more than $300 on the one invoice and within 60 days of your date of travel. Unless you’re carrying the goods as hand luggage, you need to get the goods sighted at the Customs office before you check in your bags. They stamp the invoice that the goods have been sighted, then after you clear security you pop into the TRS area, show them the invoice, and they credit the money back onto your credit card (or bank account if you give them the details). It’s all pretty easy and doesn’t take too long.

I would suggest you start the process online before you leave as it makes things quicker at the airport: http://trs.border.gov.au/

You get the 10% GST back, which works out to be 9.09% of the total (that includes tax). So, on a $1000 purchase, you would get back $90.91.

More info on the TRS here: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Tour/Are-you-a-traveller

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the info and the link @rider26, very helpful. I sent you a PM.

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone who chimed in here. Yesterday I put down a deposit on a Hovercraft! Can’t wait to have this bad boy in my hot little hands, and even moreso can’t wait to take it to Japan to shred the POW in Feb!

Thanks again, gonna be a sick board board I’m sure and I am mega, mega stoked on it!  rocker

Cheers.

-Jonesy