The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

New Board Size Confirmation

Hey guys, Im heading to Canada (Whistler) end of January and am buying a new board. Ive decided on the Rome Crossrocket as ive found a wicked deal from the UK and it seems to be a good all mountain board. But im not sure on the size, Ive read around different forums on how to work it out but cant decide on 154, 156 or 158 as they all seem to suit my body according to different charts.

Im 77kg, 183cm, boot size US10.5, 24 years old and like to think i ride quite aggressive all mountain, just did a few week in Hakuba Japan February passed on a Rome Slash 156 and progressed faster than expected.

Im leaning more towards the 154 as pictured. Link http://www.romesnowboards.com/boards/crossrocket/

Rome’s board fit says:
Size                             151             154         156         158           161
Weight Range (Kg)  52-77         57-84     61-91     68-98+        68-98+

What difference in ride would i see between the sizes?

Welcome to Boardworld, @Jaz11. ?

Are you from the UK or Australia? Just curious.

I hope to see you over in Whistler. Please feel free to join the Whistler 2016/17 discussion. There’s quite a lot of members heading over to Whistler this season. I live here so let me know if you have any questions.

OK, board size…

There’s a reason why suggested weight ranges are so broad; there are numerous factors that can affect suitable board sizes. Also, we can all comfortably ride a range of board sizes, however, each side of the spectrum will have various advantages and disadvantages. Summarised very simply, see below.

Small size = manoeuvrable <————- Mid size = versatile————-> Large size = stable + float

There are a couple of key factors you should consider: riding style and location/conditions. You’ve said you ride all-mountain aggressively; this immediately suggests you should go to the larger size of the spectrum — more stability, speed, carving performance, better edging etc. The other consideration is where you are riding; Whistler has big mountain features and we generally receive a lot of snow — you need float in powder. Again, this suggests a larger board.

I would immediately rule out the 154 for you. To give you an idea, I’m 66kg and 170cm. I ride a 154 in Whistler. Anything smaller and I just don’t feel I get enough stability and float. I like to ride aggressively as well.

The 156 or the 158 would be more suitable, but I think the 156 would be the most versatile for you. It’s going to give you enough stability to charge hard, should give you adequate float, but it’s also going to be a good size for riding park and having fun on the mountain. That would be my recommendation.

Let me know if you have any questions.