The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

POW Suggestions

Hey guys so I am going to be working the Niseko season and though it’s a great excuse to justify a POW board. I currently own a 154 Bataleon Evil Twin and a 160 Lando Phoenix, the Phoenix does great it POW but it feels a bit heavy/long and is really better suited to general big mountain stuff, the Bataleon doesn’t perform very well in POW at all.

What recommendations do you guys have for a nice POW board? I want something that excels in POW and can be playful in it but doesn’t keep me off the rest of the mountain or natural features. I was thinking the POW Rearper from Dinosaurs Will Die because it looks like amazing but I dunno how well it will function and its pricey.

How pow-specific are you wanting to go? Would this be to compliment your current boards, or replace the Lando? If replacing the Lando, what exactly are you wanting to get out of the replacement? Just a general shift towards more pow friendly and less big mountain?

The Lando has a pretty big sidecut and not much effective edge for it’s length, some boards with a tighter sidecut and more EE and a pow friendly shape would be the Ride Berzerker 160W, Burton Flight Attendant 159, Yes Optimistic 154, Neversummer Twenty-Five 160, Arbor Iguchi pro rocker 159, Capita Kazu 157

More pow direction would be Yes 20/20 or 420PH, Burton Branch Manager or Mod Fish, Neversummer Swift, Arbor Shreddy Kreuger, Jones Hovercraft, Ride Warpig Large, K2 Bottlerocket, Capita Charlie Slasher.

That’s a big brain dump from me hah, what are your actual stats? Weight and boot size? Riding style?

Cheers for the reply man, tons of info.

Definitely to compliment, if I ever feel the need to go charge I will hit the lando. Since predictions for the current Japan season are so good and I will be there for so long I think it’s worth it to shift toward pow friendly. This way all my bases will be covered too.

Can you explain sidecuts and effective edge? I understand the basics but not how they pertain to POW. I’ve had a look at most of the boards you have posted and they all seem pretty good, probably more inclined towards the shreddy, hovercraft, branch manager and the swift.

My stats are 5’11, 155lbs, 10-US. I do a bit of everything from jibbing to charging and my binding setup changes a lot as well, from 15/-15 to 18/-8.

Do you think you could give me your opinion on the POW Reaper specifically? The more I look at it the more I want it. http://dinosaurswilldieaustralia.com/products/pow-reaper?variant=18376397381

Hey Yenoh!

The pow reaper is an epic shred for sure. I rode it a bit this season and had a blast on it in all terrain from the pow to the park! Whilst I didn’t get any super deep pow on it, it loved the softer stuff for sure.

It’s setback stance and tapered shape give it amazing float in soft snow. I was chatting with Jeff Keenan from DWD about his time in Jackson hole testing it, and he said it was practically unsinkable!! I guarantee you will have a blast on it in Japan! I am booking a trip to JapPow in February and I know the Pow Reaper is the only thing I will ride!

Check out some shots on the @Dinosaurs_Will_Die_Downunduh Instagram to see it in action! If you have any more questions at all let us know.

Jai. DWDdownunduh