The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Niseko 2017

geniass - 17 August 2016 05:19 PM

Can anyone tell me if you can Black Cat between islands? We’re thinking of doing Niseko then Myoko. But we’re hoping a friend will also come along who is currently living in Indo but her board bag lives with us and she’s keen on the Myoko leg of the trip only at this point.

@geniass - can definitely black cat between islands. Can have stuff sent anywhere you want! We had our gear black catted from Niseko straight to Narita airport last trip.

cords - 05 September 2016 02:44 PM
geniass - 17 August 2016 05:19 PM

Can anyone tell me if you can Black Cat between islands? We’re thinking of doing Niseko then Myoko. But we’re hoping a friend will also come along who is currently living in Indo but her board bag lives with us and she’s keen on the Myoko leg of the trip only at this point.

@geniass - can definitely black cat between islands. Can have stuff sent anywhere you want! We had our gear black catted from Niseko straight to Narita airport last trip.

Cheers @cords that’s awesome. Any idea if it takes a bit longer to the other island or is Japanese efficiency still at its finest?

Not sure how long they’d say for Niseko to Myoko actually. We had to leave 2 days for Niseko-Narita so I reckon I’d leave 3 days for Niseko-Myoko….Perfect for a little Tokyo exploring in between?

Hi all,

Thought I would use this thread to vent my excitement for my upcoming Niseko trip! I say Niseko as we are staying there however I haven’t pre purchased lift tickets as we are planning to play it by ear and jump around the nearby resorts depending on weather forecast. Like the OP, I’m interested in any advice, info or any general discussion about the area.

This will be not only my first time seeing ‘real’ snow outside of Australia, but will be my first time out of Australia period! From what I have heard, I am preparing myself to be blown away! I will be in Japan from 10th Feb to 26th Feb. I’m tavelling with a mate who is a skier for the first leg of the trip. He is not quite at my level (not that I am at an expert level; high intermediate at best I would say), but that should give me the opportunity to practice my much neglected switch riding that I have been very slack with.

We will be arriving in Tokyo on the evening of the 10th then, after a couple of nights in Tokyo arriving at Niseko early evening on the 12th Feb. Staying in a self contained, semi luxury appartment (Kinzuna) until the 19th Feb. My mate will then be flying back to Oz while I will be staying another week to go on a powder progression tour run by Whiteroom tours. The tour is guided, instructed and has a couple of video analysis sessions included. The tour covers days at Niseko, Kiroro, Rusutsu and Moiwa and the focus is learning to ride deep pow and more off piste areas. Anyone been on this tour or similar that has any feedback?

I’m so stoked! Being a very late starter to international travel I am already planning to spend as much time (and money!) as possible over the coming years trying to explore the beautiful alpine areas the world has to offer. The aim of the trip is to try and progress my riding as much as possible and meet like minded, snow/snowboard obsessed people. So if any BW members are over there at that time it would be great to meet up for a beer and/or a shred. While the appartment I rented for the first week at Niseko only sleeps 2 it appears to have suitable living space/seating to entertain so could be an option for hosting a few pre drinks before a night out in Niseko!

Jonesy - 07 September 2016 11:23 AM

Hi all,

Thought I would use this thread to vent my excitement for my upcoming Niseko trip! I say Niseko as we are staying there however I haven’t pre purchased lift tickets as we are planning to play it by ear and jump around the nearby resorts depending on weather forecast. Like the OP, I’m interested in any advice, info or any general discussion about the area.

This will be not only my first time seeing ‘real’ snow outside of Australia, but will be my first time out of Australia period! From what I have heard, I am preparing myself to be blown away! I will be in Japan from 10th Feb to 26th Feb. I’m tavelling with a mate who is a skier for the first leg of the trip. He is not quite at my level (not that I am at an expert level; high intermediate at best I would say), but that should give me the opportunity to practice my much neglected switch riding that I have been very slack with.

We will be arriving in Tokyo on the evening of the 10th then, after a couple of nights in Tokyo arriving at Niseko early evening on the 12th Feb. Staying in a self contained, semi luxury appartment (Kinzuna) until the 19th Feb. My mate will then be flying back to Oz while I will be staying another week to go on a powder progression tour run by Whiteroom tours. The tour is guided, instructed and has a couple of video analysis sessions included. The tour covers days at Niseko, Kiroro, Rusutsu and Moiwa and the focus is learning to ride deep pow and more off piste areas. Anyone been on this tour or similar that has any feedback?

I’m so stoked! Being a very late starter to international travel I am already planning to spend as much time (and money!) as possible over the coming years trying to explore the beautiful alpine areas the world has to offer. The aim of the trip is to try and progress my riding as much as possible and meet like minded, snow/snowboard obsessed people. So if any BW members are over there at that time it would be great to meet up for a beer and/or a shred. While the appartment I rented for the first week at Niseko only sleeps 2 it appears to have suitable living space/seating to entertain so could be an option for hosting a few pre drinks before a night out in Niseko!

G’day we will be there until the 19th of feb, after that we move on for a month, not sure where too yet, play it by ear when the time comes.
Happy to catch up for some beers and a shred tho! have a house rented in hirafu so suitable for beers to! let me know when you get up there, or PM me here and ill shoot you my facebook to get into contact over there?

I’m going to look at booking in a lesson or 2 while in Niseko (Hirafu). Anyone have any suggestions for the best people to see about lessons over there? Better yet, any boardworld members instructing over there by any chance?

Will be exploring the nearby resorts (rusutsu etc.) on a few days in my time there, and have a fully guided and instructed tour in my second week there, but keen to try and progress a little and lock in a lesson or 2 while at Hirafu.

I’m not there until mid-late March.

Adult offspring doing a 5 week gap year thing from last week of Jan until end Feb.
Hubby doing boys trip after that.  Then it’s my turn, so I’ll miss you all.

My personal preference for lessons (and guiding for me) is Pete from Hokkaido Mountain Experience.  Nice guy, known him for years, uses great personable staff.

But there are many fab guides and instructors in Niseko.  You’ll have a great time.

LMB - 03 October 2016 12:01 AM

I’m not there until mid-late March.

Adult offspring doing a 5 week gap year thing from last week of Jan until end Feb.
Hubby doing boys trip after that.  Then it’s my turn, so I’ll miss you all.

My personal preference for lessons (and guiding for me) is Pete from Hokkaido Mountain Experience.  Nice guy, known him for years, uses great personable staff.

But there are many fab guides and instructors in Niseko.  You’ll have a great time.

Cheers @LMB. Thanks for the recommendation. I’m sure it’s a rarity to get a bad guide but it’s always good to get word of mouth on good people. I’ll look in to that for sure.

I’ll be there from the 23 Jan - 20 Feb, so stoked to try all my new gear. Looking for a pow board as well because I’m just not convinced my Machete will satisfy and I’d like to grab something in the sales. Because who wants to spend a month over there having to stick to groomers.

Fritzl - 08 October 2016 02:04 PM

I’ll be there from the 23 Jan - 20 Feb, so stoked to try all my new gear. Looking for a pow board as well because I’m just not convinced my Machete will satisfy and I’d like to grab something in the sales. Because who wants to spend a month over there having to stick to groomers.

There’s no denying a powder board will make life easier in deep powder but really you shouldn’t have too much problem riding the machete off piste.  It’s got a bit of rocker which will help.

I am looking at buying a true powder specific ride at the moment (but I think I’ll demo first).  But I’ve ridden all mountain boards off piste until now.  They’re fine - you’re not confined to groomers.

Buy if you like.  But you don’t NEED to shaka

@Fritzl I’m hearing ya, stoked to try out my new gear too! Just picked up a Jones Hovercraft from Boardworld!  rocker
I also have another board I’ll be taking (Lib Tech Skunk Ape) which will probably be fine for POW but still nice to have a POW machine!
@LMB makes a good point but sometimes but sometimes it’s fun to buy new toys! @rider26 (Jez) has been very helpful assisting me with my purchase. If you layby gear while the spring sales are on then pay it off 60 days before your flight you can claim the GST back at the airport.
I’ll be in Niseko from 13-26 Feb, PM me if you’re keen for a beer and a shred!

Jonesy - 08 October 2016 09:42 PM

@Fritzl I’m hearing ya, stoked to try out my new gear too! Just picked up a Jones Hovercraft from Boardworld!  rocker
I also have another board I’ll be taking (Lib Tech Skunk Ape) which will probably be fine for POW but still nice to have a POW machine!
@LMB makes a good point but sometimes but sometimes it’s fun to buy new toys! @rider26 (Jez) has been very helpful assisting me with my purchase. If you layby gear while the spring sales are on then pay it off 60 days before your flight you can claim the GST back at the airport.
I’ll be in Niseko from 13-26 Feb, PM me if you’re keen for a beer and a shred!

LOL Absolutely! New toys are awesome.
Only problem I’ve got is putting the old toys in the cupboard and not using them anymore!  Might need to sell off the unloved to finance more new toys.

LMB - 08 October 2016 09:50 PM

LOL Absolutely! New toys are awesome.
Only problem I’ve got is putting the old toys in the cupboard and not using them anymore!  Might need to sell off the unloved to finance more new toys.

I know what you mean, I tend to hoard a lot of things like that too. Luckily there always seems to be people looking to buy cheap 2nd hand gear after their first snow trip. So selling off old gear to feed the habit of buying new toys is always an option!  grin

Jonesy - 08 October 2016 09:42 PM

@Fritzl

I offloaded my old Skunk Ape earlier last year due to it being a bit of a brick, really hated it, wrong camber profile for me.  I agree that it’s nice to have a couple of (or more) boards.  I’ve since been riding the Jones Mountain Twin which more than handled the majority of Myoko pow last feb, but I have just thrown some $$$ down on the Yes Optimistic - can’t wait to give that a shot in Japan this Feb.

When I was in Myoko earlier this year I saw plenty of Hovercrafts, and after talking to a few people with them, the feedback was pretty consistent - I think you’ll be stoked!

Hughman666 - 09 October 2016 06:39 AM

I offloaded my old Skunk Ape earlier last year due to it being a bit of a brick, really hated it, wrong camber profile for me.  I agree that it’s nice to have a couple of (or more) boards.  I’ve since been riding the Jones Mountain Twin which more than handled the majority of Myoko pow last feb, but I have just thrown some $$$ down on the Yes Optimistic - can’t wait to give that a shot in Japan this Feb.

When I was in Myoko earlier this year I saw plenty of Hovercrafts, and after talking to a few people with them, the feedback was pretty consistent - I think you’ll be stoked!

Cheers for the feedback @Hughman666. Have read a lot of reviews and spoken to a few people about the Hovercraft and I’m pretty stoked on my purchase. I also considered the Optimistic like you, along with the 420 PH and the 20/20.

Interesting comments regarding the Skunk Ape. I noticed in your thread on Jones spoon tech that you are also restricted in board choice by large feet with your size 12 boots (you know what they say -big feet, big…..shoes!).  wink
I was also in size 12 boots when I brought the Skunk Ape but have managed to squeeze into a nice tight fitting size 11 earlier this year. I got the Skunk Ape largely due to its generous waist width. I had previously had problems with toe drag on narrower boards hence the Skunk Apes appeal. However like you I just feel the camber profile is not really my cup of tea as I had learned and ridden on full camber boards previously. I really like the look of the Yes Greats for a “do it all” addition down the track but unfortunately there’s no wide version. It can be harder for people with size 11 and up boots to find the perfect board/size at times (especially for me weighing in at 75kgs).

Anyways, thanks for the feedback, and sorry to all for going a bit off topic on this thread.