The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Passport issues. Canada might be cancelled?!

Hey guys,

I created another thread here with the title “Advice for a first time international snowboarder” asking for advice about a trip to Canada.

After working out the details I booked my trip leaving for April 2.

I have been waiting to hear about my passport application, and just found out today that it has been rejected ( or on hold) until I can provide a proof of citizenship certificate. Which if I apply for today, will take 3 weeks. Which means I would miss my departure date.

I never knew I needed that certificate, and would have got it ages ago if I did. I was told by the Passport Office that the documentation I had would suffice.

Anyway, my options right now are to outright cancel my trip, and try to plan it next year. Or reschedule it and push it back by 2 weeks to April 16. Which I should have my passport by then.

Suggestions?

I know April is late season already, is mid-April pushing it a little too much to the point where it wouldn’t be worth it?

Cheers.

Hey @Paul-,

Sorry, I just saw this thread. That’s a serious bummer about your passport.

I think you would have a great time regardless of a couple of weeks delay, but it’s definitely getting a lot warmer here in Whistler and the lower slopes are disappearing quickly. Whistler mountain is open until April 17th but Blackcomb is open until the end of May. There is still a lot of snow in the high alpine which should stick around for a while. I’m not sure about other resorts.

If this trip was all about snowboarding, it might be worth considering delaying until next season. In which case, maybe consider coming earlier in the season. If you’re coming not just for the snowboarding, it’s a beautiful time of year, and you will get a different (but equally good) experience.

Let us know what you decide.

I’ve been in this spot before. You can actually get a fast-track passport application which takes 5 working days, delivered. It’s double the cost but worth it.