The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

4 weeks in canada

hey guys trying to plan a 4 week holiday to canada, never been before.
wheres the best places to stay and visit and how much would you budget for 4 weeks?
want to do a fair bit of boarding but would also like to see the sights.
any input would be much appreciated.
cheers

Hey @vanners,

When do you think you would travel? Do you have rough dates yet?

dates i would be thinking are roughly 20th december until 20th january

OK, so later this year. That gives you lots of planning time. ?

My suggestion would be:

Fly into Vancouver, spend at least as couple of days there. Vancouver is a really awesome city and it’s worth exploring. You might even want to spend more time here depending on how many days you want to snowboard. I can give you more specific recommendations for Vancouver later.

Spend at least a week in Whistler—maybe more. Whistler is such an amazing place. The mountains are epic, the snowboarding is world class, and there is just so much to see and do here. It’s easy to get to from Vancouver (2-hour drive). Not to mention, there’s a lot of us over there. ?

From there you have a number of options to travel and see other parts of Canada, all while visiting more mountains to go snowboarding.

Consider the following:

Revelstoke
Big White
Sun Peaks
Fernie
Banff (I would suggest working this into your schedule)
... and there’s others.

You could also visit cities such as Toronto or Montreal, if that’s the type of experience you want to have.

Keep in mind, travelling to more places kills days and also bumps up your budget. You’ll probably get more out of this trip in both experiences and financially if you pick just a few things that really appeal to you.

Keeping it simple, I would suggest something like:

Vancouver (2-3 days), go to a hockey game.
Whistler (14 days)
Travel to Banff and/or Revelstoke (12 days)

Let me know if you have any questions!

thanks man, just the input i needed shaka

@vanners 

If you want an option with lots of snowboarding at a variety of resorts, I’d go fly to Calgary and buy an RCR with lake Louise pass. This will get you access to 3 major resorts worth visiting and you only need to do about 15 days to pay it off if you get in early bird.

So fly into Calgary and hire a car

5 days in lake louise. (Either staying in Banff or on the hill. Banff is more party town but being the hill saves you driving)

5 days in golden with boarding at kicking horse. You could do a day trip or 2 days to revelstoke if you wish but its not on the pass.

Stop in Kimberley for a night or 2 and ride for a day here just to have a break and since its free. Don’t plan much here but its a fun little resort which mixes it up and its on the pass.

5 days in Fernie. Maybe do a day cat skiing at fernie wilderness if you can afford it and then road trip back to Calgary.

Fly to Vancouver and check out the town. Then decide between going up to whistler for a few days or if you’re over snowboarding (as if) maybe do a bolt bus trip down to Seattle or Portland.

If you’re planning a long time in whistler I’d almost stay there the whole time and buy a season pass since its $120 a day for day passes!