The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

VIC water temps right now

Hey guys, heading down to Torquay from Canberra for 4 days on Sunday. I only have a 2/3mm steamer and im super skinny so feel the cold. Should i be bringing my booties and hood? Also, i’m a pretty novice surfer. I noticed the swell is around 4ft coming from the south on Sunday, any tips on places where it is a bit mellower and good for beginners? I’m riding green waves fine but only the mellower stuff.

Thanks heaps, Jake

Jake - 12 November 2015 06:25 PM

Hey guys, heading down to Torquay from Canberra for 4 days on Sunday. I only have a 2/3mm steamer and im super skinny so feel the cold. Should i be bringing my booties and hood? Also, i’m a pretty novice surfer. I noticed the swell is around 4ft coming from the south on Sunday, any tips on places where it is a bit mellower and good for beginners? I’m riding green waves fine but only the mellower stuff.

Thanks heaps, Jake

Hi Jake.

Some good questions there, ill try to answer as best I can.

I’ve never surfed Vic waters before, but i spent all of my upbringing surfing Tassie waters which is pretty darn close to Vic water temps. From my experience it’s still pretty cold down there this time of year. You can usually get away with a 3/2 in summer only , but you’ll still feel the cold. If you don’t have a 4/3 or a 5/4/3 then I’d probably recommend taking the hood and booties. That way you’ll have an option if it does feel a little a chilly side.

As far a mellow waves in the area. I only really know Bells and Winkipop. Both can be mellow, but if you reckon it’s going to be around the 4ft range maybe best to explore a little further around the area. The great ocean road spans for a few hundred km’s. There’d be a few options around the area for sure.

If you have any further questions hit me up!

Keep shredding and I hope the trip goes well man!

@JAKE Hope the Torquay trip went well mate, i imagine it might have been a bit

VIC Water Temps now, are fantastic!! We’ve been to the beach last 3 weeks running, and been sooo good.  Ocean Grove (near Geelong) today had some decent little waves, kids surf comp, and water was like 20 degrees.

disclaimer:     

SnowDragon does not know Fahrenheit/Celsius temp differences without an app and may, or may not be guessing

Hey guys,

Sorry about the super delayed reply. I went overseas for work pretty much as soon as we got back from Torquey. The water was freezing, i only lasted about one hour on the mornings. I ended up surfing bells, it was only about 2 foot and the reef wasn’t really an issue for me despite what the locals said haha. I had an awesome time and it’s a great place to chill out. It’s so hard to learn how to surf though, it’s so dependent on weather conditions.

Some days i am surfing green waves in 2-3 foot and then the next day i can’t even paddle out in a messy 3 foot. I’m away until the snow season so i wont get another chance to surf this year but next summer i should be going most weekends.

I’m really keen to start nailing it as when i rode my first green wave i literally had the same feeling as snowboarding and i have never felt that in any other sport (i’ve been looking for it for years). I just really hope i can get it next summer, duck diving especially, i haven’t nailed that properly yet.

Can’t wait to get home ad start adventures again