The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

New Board Needed

Hello everyone this is my first post. I’m checking in cause I’m getting back in the game after a 5 year hiatus and need a new board. I’d say I’m an advanced rider. For the 10 years prior to quitting I averaged 100 days a year at the hill. I’m 6’ tall 200 lbs and wear a size 11 snowboarding boot. Technology and all the talk about camber is new to me and I’m not sure with path to take. It’s hard to translate the hyped up tech talk to real world pros and cons for my riding style. I mostly ride groomers as fast as possible here in Michigan 90% of the time and love jumping off in the glades and trees every chance I get.  I am in the park less than 5% of the time. Love to carve super hard regular and switch. I also like high energy boards that pop out of the turn and in to the next. Without putting me on my a**. If you’ve ever ridden the Rome Crown you know what I’m talking about.  Having a size 11 boot is tuff because I also hate boards that are to wide. They’re slow from edge to edge! I’d love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. If I’ve left anything out that would help just ask and I’ll let you know.

^ ‘Sup Rich!

Just tried a search for a Rome Crown, you sure it’s not a PALMER Crown?

Anyways, I think try reading the pinned thread @rider26 has put on camber profiles as that should help as a starting point:
http://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/4119

That said, from the type of riding you do you probably want a board that’s primarily cambered, twin (you said you ride switch….)

Not sure if I can help you with the wide thing, as I’m a 9.5 in my boots, if you don’t like wide, maybe find boots with a 1:1 last, or one with good shrink tech? (definitely not Celsius, they’re huge, and K2, my K2’s are pretty big, not sure if they have any boots with a smaller last.)

I dunno what board preference you have but I would look at something cambered or if you’re going the hybrid camber route, something with a cambered middle (ie. camrock.)

Although I will say that I don’t have any problems bombing runs on my Rome Agent Rocker, it’s just that at slower speeds, it feels sloppy due to the rockered middle.

Welcome to Boardworld, Rich76!

Have a read of the article I wrote linked in Grunge’s reply. Honestly, it sounds like you should just stick to regular camber. You like going fast, need stability, carving performance, energy and pop. Camber is what delivers these things. Full rocker and similar profiles would not suit your riding style.

The only other profile I would suggest looking at is CamRock (camber between the feet, rocker nose and tail), as you still get a lot of the riding characteristics of camber with some of the benefits of rocker. This hybrid profile, more than any other, rides most like full camber.

My suggestion: mid/stiff flexing, true twin, full camber. By what you’re saying, this is what you should be looking at. Rome Mod, YES TDF, something along those lines…

Any questions, let me know.

rider26 - 18 October 2015 03:59 PM

Welcome to Boardworld, Rich76!

Have a read of the article I wrote linked in Grunge’s reply. Honestly, it sounds like you should just stick to regular camber. You like going fast, need stability, carving performance, energy and pop. Camber is what delivers these things. Full rocker and similar profiles would not suit your riding style.

The only other profile I would suggest looking at is CamRock (camber between the feet, rocker nose and tail), as you still get a lot of the riding characteristics of camber with some of the benefits of rocker. This hybrid profile, more than any other, rides most like full camber.

My suggestion: mid/stiff flexing, true twin, full camber. By what you’re saying, this is what you should be looking at. Rome Mod, YES TDF, something along those lines…

Any questions, let me know.

I’d look at the Yes PYL, or even the Standard, cause the only problem with the TDF is that they don’t make them big enough for us 90kg plus riders!!!!!

Advanced rider, who has ripped 1000 days laying down hard carves, popping edge to edge and off anything in his path. I’d suggest a 162W or 164W Burton Custom X. Burton wides aren’t that wide, and with size 11s you’d want a little extra width to combat toe drag when carving hard.

Fair call, Mizu. The TDF only goes up to 158. But a board like this in shape/construction would suit him well.

Phedder, the Custom X would be a good call for sure.

I’d definitely look into the Rome Mod. High performance, full camber, true twin, high end construction. It’s an incredible board and the waist widths are right on the money for his size 11 boots. The 159 has a 256mm waist and the 162 has a 258mm waist. http://www.romesnowboards.com/boards/mod/

There’s a couple of boards in the Jones Snowboards range that would be suitable as well. Have a look through this range for sure! The Aviator would be really nice. http://www.jonessnowboards.com/

^ Haha yes, jez is spot on…. I have an Aviator, and used it in Whis last season with Jez and the gang, and let me tell you, it just wants to carve the f**k out of the mountain, and really wants to pop out of those turns…  On those days I’m feeling like a speed demon, it really wants to explode.

It’s not a twin, but I didn’t have any problems riding switch with it.

Hi Rich, welcome back to snowboarding brother!

Ok given that I’m also a tall guy with large boots (size 12) and that I started riding back when there was no rocker or hybrid, only cambers, I have 2 piece of advice for ya. Only recommendations of course, if you’re curious about all the new tech then just try it.

1. Stick with what you know! For the type of riding you described, I would recommend camber anyway!
Nothing carves harder than a camber. And if you like to feel your board rebound you out of a turn, but don’t like getting put on your ass… that’s a tough one because aggressive and forgiving don’t usually go together. But maybe you could get a stiffer, lower camber (not bent as high off the ground). That should get good rebound but not make it too catchy.

2. If you don’t want a wide board (personally I love wide boards, but I know what you mean about being slower edge to edge) then try and find the boots with the lowest profile. For a lot of years it was always burton boots with “shrink tech”. But this year the boot that I found with the smallest footprint was the 32 Prime. I’m stoked about that because 32 liners are made by Intuition and they have lasted me way longer than usual.

Hope that’s helpful man. It’s easy to make bad gear choices these days with companies making outrageous claims about their gear that just aren’t true. But hopeful everyone’s answers on here can save u some dollars.

I’m really interested on tryin 32 Prime’s for my next boot!!!!!

If they fit properly, that is!!!!!

Good to know that you’re happy with them, Mr Aitken!!!!!