The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

First board advice

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on my first deck, I’m 180cm and 85kg, size 10 /10.5 boot. I would put myself in the late beginner category if there is one, I’ve boarded QT and most recently Thredbo last week. I’ve been surfing for years and have a more aggressive style. I’m currently located in Sydney.

I have decided it’s time to purchase my own gear and have a trip booked to Hokkaido, niseko/rusutsu in late January. I feel my style is all mountain, Park, freestyle.  I am just looking for something that will be a bit surfy and fun and can handle versatility but also handle the powder in Japan as I’m sure I’ll be going back regularly. I think I’ve narrowed down a few choices. Yes jackpot 156 and the skate banana 156 I’m having trouble deciding between the two but I’m open to other suggestions, I’ve been reading reviews on both, and am now currently leaning towards the jackpot as it’s rated higher all round when I compare them on thegoodride. It looks like I can pick up the jackpot 156 for around $460aud which seems decent, and the banana 156 for $490aud. Look forward to hearing everyone’s input.

Cheers.

Welcome to Boardword, Eveo!

I would definitely recommend the Jackpot over the Skate Banana for a few reasons. You say you want something versatile and you mentioned all-mountain; the Skate Banana is essentially (or very close to) a full rocker profile and VERY playful. While it would serve you well in the park and powder, it’s not going to handle the mountain as well as the Jackpot. BTX doesn’t have anywhere near the stability of the CamRock profile of the Jackpot (at speeds and on edge). The Skate Banana has an extruded base (as far as I’m still aware) while the Jackpot has a sintered base — significant upgrade there. YES boards come with a lifetime warranty, Lib Tech boards do not. Magne-traction (Skate Banana) is a personal preference, so I won’t say one is better than the other, but my personal opinion is I don’t like it (unpredictable, too grippy when you don’t need it, catchy) — some may disagree with me on this.

Overall, the CamRock profile is one of the most versatile on the market; a nice balance between high performance stability and energy, while still being playful and giving float in pow.

That said, I would look at other boards in the YES range as well. The Optimistic is truly a fantastic all-mountain freestyle board that ticks every box you’re looking for. More performance and more all-mountain versatility than the Jackpot, which is still versatile but more of a pure freestyle/park board. The Typo is another one to look at, coming in a bit cheaper than the Optimistic.

Shoot through any other questions and I will be happy to help you.

rider26 - 04 October 2015 05:25 AM

Welcome to Boardword, Eveo!

I would definitely recommend the Jackpot over the Skate Banana for a few reasons. You say you want something versatile and you mentioned all-mountain; the Skate Banana is essentially (or very close to) a full rocker profile and VERY playful. While it would serve you well in the park and powder, it’s not going to handle the mountain as well as the Jackpot. BTX doesn’t have anywhere near the stability of the CamRock profile of the Jackpot (at speeds and on edge). The Skate Banana has an extruded base (as far as I’m still aware) while the Jackpot has a sintered base — significant upgrade there. YES boards come with a lifetime warranty, Lib Tech boards do not. Magne-traction (Skate Banana) is a personal preference, so I won’t say one is better than the other, but my personal opinion is I don’t like it (unpredictable, too grippy when you don’t need it, catchy) — some may disagree with me on this.

Overall, the CamRock profile is one of the most versatile on the market; a nice balance between high performance stability and energy, while still being playful and giving float in pow.

That said, I would look at other boards in the YES range as well. The Optimistic is truly a fantastic all-mountain freestyle board that ticks every box you’re looking for. More performance and more all-mountain versatility than the Jackpot, which is still versatile but more of a pure freestyle/park board. The Typo is another one to look at, coming in a bit cheaper than the Optimistic.

Shoot through any other questions and I will be happy to help you.

Thanks for the reply mate,
Looks like I can only get the jackpot in a 154 now for the price I mentioned, definitely can’t find an optimistic for that price, I did come across a Salomon assassin similarly priced. In terms of length would 154 be to short for what I want to do?

For Japan, I’d say too short for sure.

We have the Jackpot 156 in stock, but it’s the 2016 model so not at the same price you’ve been looking at.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/brands/yes-snowboards

What’s your budget?

Also, I sent you a PM. Click on your username at the top of the page. wink

Definitely go the Jackpot!!!!!

RockerCamberRocker shits on Lib’s profiles!!!!!

While their BTX and C2 profiles go well in powder, they’re nasty on every other surface!!!!!

* This is my experience!!!!!

rider26 - 04 October 2015 12:24 PM

For Japan, I’d say too short for sure.

We have the Jackpot 156 in stock, but it’s the 2016 model so not at the same price you’ve been looking at.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/brands/yes-snowboards

What’s your budget?

Also, I sent you a PM. Click on your username at the top of the page. wink

The price I mentioned is the 2016 model smile, budgeting around 500 - 600 for board.

would a 158 in the jackpot be the way to go or to big? I have my sights set on this particular board because there is some good deals to be had atm.

Eveo - 04 October 2015 02:06 PM

would a 158 in the jackpot be the way to go or to big? I have my sights set on this particular board because there is some good deals to be had atm.

For your weight, the 158 will definitely be better in Japan!!!!!

And be weary if the cheaper deals are from the states!!!!! Sometimes they can be factory seconds, and even if they’re not, any warranty issues will require you to ship it back to them at your expense!!!!! Not to mention time delays etc!!!!!

I’m sure Jeremy (rider26) will look after you better in the long run!!!!!

Even seriously consider The Greats, as it’s a One Board Quiver!!!!!

A little bit more, but a whole lot more!!!!!

Especially if you do/intend on ridin switch a whole lot!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 04 October 2015 02:59 PM

And be weary if the cheaper deals are from the states!!!!! Sometimes they can be factory seconds, and even if they’re not, any warranty issues will require you to ship it back to them at your expense!!!!! Not to mention time delays etc!!!!!

it’s from a store in NSW, I have a 158 on hold wasn’t sure which way to go with sizing, will I lose much maneuverability?

Eveo - 04 October 2015 03:21 PM

it’s from a store in NSW, I have a 158 on hold wasn’t sure which way to go with sizing, will I lose much maneuverability?

You’ll sacrifice one for the other!!!!!

The 158 will be better in Japan, less manoeuvrable on the hardpack!!!!!

And reverse with the 156!!!!!

156 will still work in powder, just not as good as the 158!!!!!

I suppose it all boils down to where you’ll ride this board the most!!!!! Here, or Japan?????

Mizu Kuma - 04 October 2015 03:39 PM

I suppose it all boils down to where you’ll ride this board the most!!!!! Here, or Japan?????

Mostly here and NZ, can get a greats for around 600, but is it worth the extra?

Eveo - 04 October 2015 04:44 PM
Mizu Kuma - 04 October 2015 03:39 PM

Mostly here and NZ, can get a greats for around 600, but is it worth the extra?

The Greats is a board that you’ll never hear bad feedback about!!!!!

It just does everythin you want to do on it, and does it well!!!!!

Don’t just take my word for it though!!!!!

Google up a few reviews on it and see what they say!!!!!

There’s even a few guys on here with them!!!!!

The Greats is a fantastic board — one of my favourites on the market for sure.  Thanks Mizu.

Eveo, I’ve sent you a PM with a few options. Let me know what you think.

Hey guys,

after the invaluable advice I received on this forum , and countless hours of research, I decided on the YES Typo which I purchased from the Boardworld store. The advice and customer service would honestly have to be some of the best I’ve encountered, next level (hence the reason I purchased through them, as they earned this sale), I’m extremely thankful for the help Jeremy (rider26) and Mizu Kuma. Can’t wait to hit up some Japow on this board, I’ll be sure to give an update!

Cheers,

Eveo