The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The “I used to play football” thread ;)

EDIT: Split from another thread by Jez wink

^ Pssst… off topic here, but I like your avatar.
I’m gonna assume you’re one of the DL’s in there.
How long you been playing for? You still playing? It’s been fair few years for me, i just sold my helmet and pads, but I miss it.

grunge - 24 July 2015 10:03 AM

^ Pssst… off topic here, but I like your avatar.
I’m gonna assume you’re one of the DL’s in there.
How long you been playing for? You still playing? It’s been fair few years for me, i just sold my helmet and pads, but I miss it.

No I retired from football a couple of years ago after playing for 20 years in the ACT. Even though I played a lot of positions over the years, I believe that photo was of me being 0-Tackle blocking out the huge guy in green. My helmets are hanging on the wall in the garage because I couldn’t get rid of them but Ive never thought about going back and playing again…it was taking me the week to recover from the previous weeks game! LOL Who did you play for?

^ Played for the Berwick Miners in Vic, in 2010-2012….. started at DE, and ended up doing OLB work. Definitely not a casual sport needs alot of training time to get well.

I was average at it but I did have my moments.

20 years is a long time dude, with me changing the type of work I did and hours it was pretty hard for me to get regular for.

Your uniform was blue… so .... is that the Tuggernong Tornadoes? I had a mate that played for them for a season…. I think he was a linesman too…

Yeah over the 20 years Ive played for a few teams. Started with the Canberra Sabretooths, then played for the Canberra Tigers (an off-shoot of the Sabretooths when they split) then moved to the ACT Astros (After the Tigers disbanded). After that it was the Tuggeranong Tornadoes. Dont want to blow my own horn but I’ve also played state for 3 Nationals and won 7 capital bowls (our grand finals) but unfortunately never cracked a go in the Australian team because I couldn’t learnt the secret handshake to get into the team - this was before any tryouts. Its definitely the sport I’ve exceeded in most but age caught up with me and I just couldn’t recover quickly enough after a game.

Now I’ve tried to coach Womens gridiron here and was coaching for the Gungahlin Wildcats but other commitments and team politics got in the way.

I think I’ve even played against the Miners way back in the day. We took a team down to Melbourne and played them in a friendly. Dont ask me the year though because I couldn’t remember if I tried.

Who do you know up here?

^ Haha yeah you must have played the miners, the uniforms a copy of Cincinnati’s. (Orange and black… or white depending.)
I think they were one of a few teams from back then that are still around, although griddie is starting to pick up in Victoria.

I don’t think I can play for 20 years, I’ve seen the injuries ppl get from it and it can be harsh. Awesome game tho’, I got a better sense of what it takes after playing it.

As for ppl I know, to be honest no one, other than my mate who played with the Tornadoes for one season. We were both starting to play and we exchanged footage with each other. lol!