The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Who’s done it? Chucking a sickie.

The great Australian pastime - calling in sick to work and going for a surf/shred.

Who’s done it? And what were some of your best excuses!

I’m calling in Monday and Tuesday next week, despite having just had a weeks annual leave to go back down to Thredbo and hopefully score some of the predicted dump!

I’ve never had to call in sick as I’ve always worked in “the industry”. In my days in retail, they knew I was an obsessed snowboarder, so I’d just tell them I’m going snowboarding (with some notice) and to please cover the shift. It was great that it was snow/skate/surf retail as some of the guys were surfers, some were skaters… so we could always swap and change without too much of an issue with all of us needing to take a powder day off. They even let me stay at their family-owned lodge in Jindabyne when I needed a bed at short notice.

When I was an instructor, well, I was snowboarding anyway! And you can’t call in sick to go shredding as they know when you’ve used your pass hahaha. But you can always turn up and ask for the day off to go shredding as with most snow resorts, there’s always instructors looking for work to pay their bills. So I’d always turn up and ask for the day off work. In fact, this is how I met my wife haha. She was injured (so working in the office) and I was waiting to see if I could get the day off work, when we started chatting. wink

But, I think it’s great to chuck a sicky to go shredding. It’s every snowboarder’s right to do so. Good on you! I support this 100%

What’s the best excuse? Well, I’ve still had to get out of other things, and by far the best excuse that no one will ever argue with, is…. explosive diarrhoea! No one is going to want you at work. LOL

You get paid leave for if your sick so you’d be crazy not to use it. I definitely used up my quota when I wasn’t self employed.
Always just used the standard ‘feeling shitty’ excuse which isn’t creative at all. I always wanted to try out ‘I’ve got bad friction burns on my genitals’ but never had the balls to do it.

Haha love it trent! Bloody oath about getting paid, I think I get two weeks a year sick leave. And the way they calculate it, I get paid 5.5 hours pay for a sick day - 4 hour shift on Monday and Tuesday, I’ll get paid more for calling in sick. Don’t do it too often so as not to arouse suspicion, but there’s definitely an excuse. Food poisoning is a great one especially for a one-dayer, I’ve used soccer injuries (“I’ll be basically useless”) before too. Although I did work the last few months with a bung shoulder from Japan so they can stick it haha

I cant take sickies in winter. everyone knows I love the snow, and they just assume any time I’m not at work that I’m going to the snow.
Even If I am legitimately sick they are like “oh going to the snow eh?”

Just once… when Spaz was heading down for the first dump of the season, I jumped in the car with him and stayed at his place.

Thanks mate.

Now I’m actually expected to ride while working… so no need to call in sick (plus I have no sick leave at a contract job lol)

Not for the snow. But a few times years ago i did for beach trips.

Would usually get a call from mates. “Hey can you call my work and tell them im sick? say im to sick to go to work”
me: “ok, sure… but your taking me and doingthe same for me”
Mates: “ok cool, be there in 30mins”
driving to beach call work “yeah blah is sick, he messaged me to call saying his throat is swolen”
work: “are you in a car? is that him i can hear laughing?”
me/mate: “errrr uuuummmm, noooo. thats someone else… goddagoseeyabye”

Worked every time….  cool smirk

Hmmmm….. public forum on the Internet!!!!!

I’ve never taken an illegitimate sick day off work!!!!!

Ever!!!!!

Ever!!!!!

Ever?

wink

Wait.. just in case, like, EVER?

Coz me too.

grunge - 24 July 2015 10:05 AM

Ever?

wink

Wait.. just in case, like, EVER?

Coz me too.

EVER!!!!!

* Just hope the Boss heard that time!!!!!

LowGuido - 23 July 2015 09:36 PM

I cant take sickies in winter. everyone knows I love the snow, and they just assume any time I’m not at work that I’m going to the snow.
Even If I am legitimately sick they are like “oh going to the snow eh?”

This has always been my issue too!

But this job one of my boss’ has told me it is expected of me and so i might as well do it!

Now the pressure is on to time it right!

I’m so not rebellious :( I could never call in sick and go to the snow. I’d probably just end up spending all day feeling guilty and worrying I’d somehow get caught!

On the other hand if I told my manager I wanted to take a sick day to go to the snow she’d probably be cool with it.

Yep done it. Broke my wrist. Never again!

blizzard_22 - 24 July 2015 01:01 PM

Yep done it. Broke my wrist. Never again!

So you had no problem gettin a certificate?????

It’s not a sick day. It’s a personal health day.

I needed to get some freshies to improve my personal happiness and thus making me a better employee for your crappy company wink