The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Looking for a new board - sizing advice

I was in the local board store recently looking at their range and had a lengthy conversation with the guys in there. They said I could ride as short as 144cm. I haven’t ridden anything shorter than my current board (151).

I have had my board (Gnu B-Nice, 151cm) for four years now and still love it, but want something with a little more flex.

I’m 60kg, 173cm tall, ladies size 9 boot.

Any recommendations welcome!!!

It actually annoys me how many people recommend women ride these super short boards. 144 is super short for you. If you are riding rails and jibbing 99% of the time — maybe. I’m not even going to say park because that size would be so unstable on jump landings. But for someone who actually wants to ride the mountain and progress their skills, this is a joke! Putting girls on super short boards is doing them no favours!

I am always trying to encourage girls to ride bigger boards. I don’t know what it is exactly. Some people use height as the be all and end all guide (must be under my chin or whatever bullshit). I think others just really don’t know how to pick the right size board (which is fine IF they are getting good advice).

Honestly Jenna, I think you’re spot on with the sizing. You could step down a cm or two if you want something more playful (149 would be OK), but I would be more inclined to tell you to experiment with different profiles and flexes, rather than playing with the sizing too much. You’re relatively tall for your weight, and you’re fit and strong, so you already have good leverage over your board for pressing/butters etc. It will more come down to the board’s profile and flex, and also your technique.

My point is, 144 is too short, and I would strongly recommend you don’t listen to the advice you were given. My general advice to any females (or males) reading this who ride super short boards: ride bigger boards, ride harder (more aggressively). Don’t use short boards as a way to cheat around the proper technique. Your riding will thank you. Apologies for the semi rant.

Everything is helpful Jez, so thank you for the rant! 149 sounds good to me smile

rider26 - 02 June 2015 07:07 PM

My general advice to any females (or males) reading this who ride super short boards: ride bigger boards, ride harder (more aggressively). Don’t use short boards as a way to cheat around the proper technique. Your riding will thank you.

Can you elaborate on this point Jez? Im pretty sure I am not an offender of riding a super short board (178cm, 78kg, 153cm), but I am interested regardless. I would think that once you are through learning basic/intermediate technique it shouldn’t matter too much how long your board is, just that shorter boards are more manoeuvrable..

Also Blizzard, have just decided on my next board so I know how fun the process can be - good luck!

tracvks - 03 June 2015 02:28 AM

Can you elaborate on this point Jez? Im pretty sure I am not an offender of riding a super short board (178cm, 78kg, 153cm), but I am interested regardless. I would think that once you are through learning basic/intermediate technique it shouldn’t matter too much how long your board is, just that shorter boards are more manoeuvrable..

Also Blizzard, have just decided on my next board so I know how fun the process can be - good luck!

I don’t consider your board “super short” — especially in Australia, and I know you ride a lot of park. And you’re right, as you become more advanced rider, what they say about it being 90% rider, 10% board is pretty much true (whether it’s size, shape, or otherwise). It’s also true that a shorter board is more manoeuvrable, as you said. But how manoeuvrable do you need it to be and why exactly? At what stage does the benefit of manoeuvrability start hampering the performance characteristics of the board? What’s the point of riding a tiny board that can spin with no effort; if it’s not stable enough to take big landings, to float in pow, to carve turns? Why do you need it so short? These are questions you should ask yourself.

Personally I feel boards that are too short (I’m not talking about just short boards, but too short) are just a cheat way around using proper technique or riding strongly. In all honestly, they simply make you a lazy rider. Ignore this is you’re riding rails and jibbing 99% of the time. That’s a valid reason for riding a significantly shorter board.

I feel a board needs a certain amount of stability and performance, otherwise you’re sacrificing too much to get the manoeuvrability. I also feel you actually get equal or more manoeuvrability by riding a more stable board, faster and at higher performance, which gives you more energy and momentum for the required manoeuvrability.

Short is OK, and there are valid reasons for riding short boards, but you need to draw the line somewhere. Ride a board that’s too short and you’ll never progress your overall riding skills. I honestly believe that.

You’re the same height and shoes size as me blizz! You’re more than welcome to have a go on my board at the shred if you want? It’s a gnu smart pickle 148. Heaps flexy!

air180 - 03 June 2015 12:47 PM

You’re the same height and shoes size as me blizz! You’re more than welcome to have a go on my board at the shred if you want? It’s a gnu smart pickle 148. Heaps flexy!

Ohhhh I was looking at the Smart Pickle! What are your thoughts? Easy to ride?

I love mine! Heaps better than the old Ride Rapture 151 I had previously. I used it for the first time on the girls day we had at the shred and instantly loved it. I was a bit worried at first being a totally different board from my old one but it is super easy to ride, initiate turns and holds an edge really well. First time I tried to do a tail press the board slid out from under me because I was so not prepared for how flexy it is compared to my old board! Shame I’m all the way down here in Vic or you could test it out sooner.

air180 - 03 June 2015 02:52 PM

I love mine! Heaps better than the old Ride Rapture 151 I had previously. I used it for the first time on the girls day we had at the shred and instantly loved it. I was a bit worried at first being a totally different board from my old one but it is super easy to ride, initiate turns and holds an edge really well. First time I tried to do a tail press the board slid out from under me because I was so not prepared for how flexy it is compared to my old board! Shame I’m all the way down here in Vic or you could test it out sooner.

That’s super helpful thanks air! I’m going to look into this more I think!

rider26 - 03 June 2015 04:50 AM

Short is OK, and there are valid reasons for riding short boards, but you need to draw the line somewhere. Ride a board that’s too short and you’ll never progress your overall riding skills. I honestly believe that.

Agreed.
I think there’s a trend of going shorter in general, because it makes it more manuverable and also due to the pop trend of X-games/slopestyle etc etc. where they want that ability to spin on the board etc etc.

If anything I think on average we can go a little longer on our board.
I’ll put my hand up and say that my first board was on the short side, and I’ve adjusted since.

As for this “board needs to go up to your chin” measurement thing, well I don’t know how a board can feel or flex to your your height, but I know that a board can definitely feel or react to your weight. It’s plain old physics. I don’t know why some ppl still choose to use a measurement/fitting which, with today’s technology is so greatly out of date it’s not funny, much like trying to drive a flintstone car.

Anyways, that’s my 2c, I do agree with jez on board sizing. Yes longer boards are “harder” to control but it helps increase your skills, and I think most lifelong boarders are always thinking about progression and where they want to be.

Brb paging Rhys :D

skip11 - 05 June 2015 10:20 AM

For the purpose of this thread, what size board do you ride? Why? How much do you weigh?

HA. Rico nice try. According to Jez’s rant my WWW board is pretty spot on.

i’m 169cm 65kg and my PARK board is 147cm

No one has mentioned, it also really depends on the profile and board construction as well as what do you want to do with your board.

I have two boards, a lot of people have at least two. I have my all mountain Endeavour Live 156cm and I have my K2 World Wide Weapon 147cm which i’ve had for 2 seasons.

Due to the shape of the WWW, (its profile is flat-rocker) the nose and tail shape are really snub - means the effective edge of my board is another few cms longer than on other boards of the same length -  BUT its true,  i work harder to “CARVE” on this - i could almost say it works my technique more because i have to think about it more…. that said its also a lot easy to be really washy in my turns on it if I so wish. - but carving aint the point of that board.

end of the day - i dont care what i ride - as long as i’m riding and I’m having fun be it rails, jumps, pow or groomers. If i really wanted to improve my technique i’d go get some more lessons not a larger board. as Jez said - 90% rider 10% board.

But sure, if its your first board then its important to try and get the right board for you.

rider26 - 06 June 2015 07:26 AM
skip11 - 05 June 2015 10:20 AM

For the purpose of this thread, what size board do you ride? Why? How much do you weigh?

I ride 54 mid-stiff board most of the time. I had rode a 56 PYL for 1 season. This season I have a 54 Lando and a 56 FA and a 56 Fish. I’m 5’5” 143-144lbs.

Why? Because I started on a 155, then to a 153 which I rode for 2 seasons. Ever since that I can’t go smaller. I demoed and tried shorter boards, just didn’t feel right with me. I think shortest I’ll go for a park/spring board is a 152. 53-54 just felt good for general riding especially when going fast since I’m not a good rider.

Also I like boards that have the contact points down or rocker just at/near the contact points area. I think I told you this before, that’s why I don’t like CamRock boards and flat-to-rocker boards in general (few I do like) that rocks up before or just after the last bindings insert.

@Rhys: But you ride your park board as an all mountain board raspberry, your 56 only comes out on a powder day. I know the WWW has longer EE, I’m just giving you a hard time hahah. All kidding aside, when you’re a good enough rider you can ride anything you want. Heck Torstein rode a 150 for huge jumps lol. Jez’s post just reminded me of your 48 WWW

But seriously though I’m always impressed on how you can charge with your 48 WWW and even ride pow with it haha. I have to have a longer board and a mid-stiff damp board to ride fast otherwise it scares the crap out of me (aka noob skill).

I love the discussion on this thread.

Seriously, I do, I like having a peek into why people are doing things and this is what it is here.

To add to the discussion, I’m 175cm (5’ 9”), 94kg, and I started with a 154 board (Endeavor Roots ‘10,) which is on the shorter side. I’ve moved to 157 and 160 boards.  I have to say, I do think my boards are on the stiffer side, even my bataleon fun.kink. (which I think is still for a jib board, prolly due to the camber.)

I did try the Ultrafear from @Dantheman once, and even tho it felt different, I’ve been thinking of getting a 0/flat to rocker board and slightly shorter for that playful stuff.
@Rhys I think I know how you feel about your WWW. It feels like it’s challenging your technique at times, and it’s like “oh, you think I’m not good enough to [carve/control/whatevs] with you eh? GAME ON.”

I have to say all of y’all are right: SKILL > BOARD, and as much as I love being a positive person, one of my personal gripes that I keep to myself are noobs going all techy to substitute lack of skill with the board. But hey, I guess you gotta learn somewhere, and it’s part of progression on your skill level.