The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

chipped my new board!! - how to fix??

Haha I love the part about the mum going back through the lift line.

I teach lift line etiquette in my lessons.

Ok so I had another close look at the chip and it appears like its not down to the wood (as has already been suggested by others). It looks like there is a clear layer underneath the top layer (and I assume the wood below it). This clear layer has been chipped a bit but will most likely still protect the wood.

But to be sure its sealed I have bought some epoxy from the hardware (the dearest and strongest stuff they have). There is no mention about it being waterproof or able to work in low temps, but here is the general info on the package:

Sellys Super strength epoxy adhesive (aka areldite). Its a 2 part with resin and hardener and is at full strength after 3 days. It can be used on most plastics but it says it will not bond Polythylene or Polypropylene plastics (is that a problem?).

Does that sound like the stuff for the job?

Cheers

Yeah Dan, that’s it. The damage does sound/look like cosmetic only. I wouldn’t stress too much about it.

Yeah thanks for the advice man smile

quick update - the arlaldite (hardener and resin) worked a treat. After a few days in the snow its as strong as ever

That’s good to hear, thanks for the update.

EvanL - 02 July 2009 12:48 PM

Im not trying to bag skiiers, but why do 90% of chips/scratches seem to come from them.
First weekend i had my new board a kid behind me in the lift line (not a child, he would have been 12 or 13) just started stomping his stock into the back of my board.
I turned around and grabbed his arm then he just looked at me confused, like he didnt realise he was doing anything wrong.
Then last weekend i has some prissy apre-ski mum decide she didnt want to go up the lift anymore and tried to make her way back through the lift line, WITH HER SKIIS ON, and managed to put a big scratch across the back of my board.
Then you get the ones who slide forward in the lift line when its on a bit of a slope and right over your board. Come on, you have poles, USE THEM!!
You pay a lot for good gear and idiots scratch and dent it up. I know accidents hapen, but stupidity is stupidity.

Ironically, thats what skiiers say about us but in my opinion, its cos the beginners have less control of being able to stand still as compared to a first time boarder who has 1 foot on the ground

Skiers vs. boarders always is spurred on by lift lines. I honestly think it’s the minority of both groups that cause the issue. Line etiquette is the key.

line etiquette or not, theres a lot of new people who ride and actually cant help themselves.
I honestly reckon they are the majority of the scratches and dints which you see on the board

golfpunklegend - 11 August 2009 01:46 PM

line etiquette or not, theres a lot of new people who ride and actually cant help themselves.
I honestly reckon they are the majority of the scratches and dints which you see on the board

I guess some people are just like that. Stocks are pretty annoying because they are so good at scratching.
There’s nothing that can be really done except for telling people what they’re doing

i’ve come into the lift lines fast a few times and unable to stop myself in time (!) i’ve just ended up hugging randoms while braking and continually apologising ha ha. no hardware damage though just a bit embarassing.

Everyone gets that every now and then. I took out a fence once at buller one morning. It was icy, and i straighlined the last bit of the run planning to stop my self right at the lift line and unbuckle. It was icy and the second i tried to apply me brakes, i just slipped and slid about 10 metres, taking out a fence.
I think that had to be one of the more embarrassing times of my life

I’ve not hugged too many randoms on the hill, but what a great way to meet people and make new friends! I might try it sometime.
smile

Innocence - 12 August 2009 12:41 AM

i’ve come into the lift lines fast a few times and unable to stop myself in time (!) i’ve just ended up hugging randoms while braking and continually apologising ha ha. no hardware damage though just a bit embarassing.

Snowslider’s right; new friends that double as handholds! This seems to happen when the queue’s banked up a fair bit to a lot of people.