The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Mt Buller 2015

Hey guys, anyone doing the season up at Buller or stayed at the staff accom before?
I’m at flake side and just wondering what things to bring to make life better up there?!

Haven’t been staff at Buller before but here are some of the things I would recommend to take to any mountain.

1. Snow gear. Obviously:
This includes the basics, Board, Boots, Bindings, Pants, Jacket, Goggles and Helmet.
Don’t forget to bring the other things to board all season: Multiple pairs of snowboard socks, multiple pairs of gloves and multiple facemasks. You need about 5 pairs of socks minimum if you’re a lifty or instructor as you will need to wash them and washing more than once a week will kill your budget with pay machines.

If you are driving and have space, add Old Snow Gear to this list.
A lot of people get a job on the mountain but don’t have any gear. You can quite often sell off any old gear if you are willing to part with it for cheap. Remember that the board you bought for $500+ is likely only going to sell for $100-200 depending on the wear and tear. Anyone buying a snowboard like this is likely a beginner and they don’t want to waste their money on something expensive.

2. Things for your room:
Bedding: Fitted sheets, sheets and a larger doona / quilt. If you’re in a single, get a double or queen. If you’re in a double, a queen or a king. If you ever have to share, the extra blankets are a life saver lol. Though if you’re sharing, you’re probably already pretty happy.

Toiletries: Soap, Shampoo, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Deoderant, Floss, Cleaning supplies if you got your own bathroom in your room. Nothing worse than having to buy expensive versions of stuff on the mountain.

Entertainment: Laptop and HDD full of movies is a good way to kill some time when you just want to be alone. Don’t take your DVD collection. You won’t have room. Same with your CD collection, put it on an ipod or phone before you leave.

Clothing: Again, don’t go overboard. Yes everyone is going to know you by the 2 or 3 hoodies you brought. No you shouldn’t take more.
Underwear. At least a weeks worth. Don’t waste your money washing more than once a week.
Regular socks. For around the house and wearing with normal shoes.
Jeans. 1 or 2 pairs max. They only get worn at night so you don’t need to clean them that often.
Cheap tees. Cause they get wet while you work and nobody sees them. Plus nobody cares if you have the latest cool trend tee if you’re a goober on the mountain.
Hoodies. 2-3 max. They take up space in your room and your luggage which you don’t have. Everyone knows you from what you wear. Embrace it. Buy something on the mountain if you are fed up with the same hoodies.
Shoes. Thick shoes like skate shoes are ideal for the snow. You can find DCs at the local sports store likely on sale if you don’t care what they look like. Warm enough but easy to get around in. Maybe 1 pair of nice shoes if you’re trying to look good. Apparantly chicks pay attention to shoes a lot…
Sunnies. It’s bright and you don’t want to wear your goggles while bumping lifts. Take a few pairs if you got them. If not, these are fantastic for the price. https://www.facebook.com/thedaybreakco (Josh is one of Jez’s mates)

3. Other:
Now the fun part. If it’s a shared lounge (most are) or apartments here are a few things to improve your time at the mountains.
Boardgames / Cards: Anything free and time killing is a positive at the mountains. Likely a lot of pre-drink sessions happen to save money and people want things to do. House parties are big too. Things like beer pong, king cup (playing cards) and poker are common.
Speakers: It’s not a party without tunes. If you got decent speakers an you can fit them, why not…

4. Luggage
How much to bring. If you can get by for a season in Canada with a board bag and a sports bag, you can get by in an Australian season with the same. Don’t go crazy bringing trinkets and big stuff that you won’t use.

What I brought to Canada:
Dakine Low Roller: ?1416919309
Burton Sports Bag: About this size: http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/Burton/14940100966_1?$2015_CATEGORY$
Burton Backpack: 

That’s a good start, if you want to throw some ideas against up, put up what you’re thinking of taking and we can give you a Yes / Maybe / Hell No answer… haha

Thanks, that’s pretty good list you have there! I’v just come off two seasons at whis so have a good idea of what to take but just want to find out a few little things. Guess ill just have to wait and see!

My advice,  take a whole lot of patience for crowds

^ +1.

Anyone going to be around on Catleman’s weekend?
None of my mates are keen so it looks like I’m heading up all on my lonesome haha

^ When is that?

My work is at downtime atm, so I have the next few weekends free…...

I’ll be there Friday for the day. Taking a friend who has never boarded before so the plan is to stick her in a lesson in the morning so she can learn the basics while I go have some fun!

does anyone know what the park on burke street has set up at the moment?

Not a whole lot. From memory there’s three rails and that’s about it. No kickers and no boxes.

Hey guys,

thinking of cruising up to Buller for the day tomorrow. Anyone been up there the last few days and know what the conditions are like?

Cheers
Daniel

I’ll be up there tomorrow, hit us up if you want to shred.=)

sounds good bud,

not 100% going up yet but i’ll be in touch if I do. Any word on conditions?

^ When I saw yesterday it said snow shower, but now mountain watch has put it down to rain. :SADFACE:

http://www.mountainwatch.com/snow-forecasts/Australia/Mount Buller

It might be a sloshy one in the arvo as freezing level is going up, I guess it just depends on how much rain comes down if it stays sunny too…

Hmm I’m torn, I want to go up as it will be the last thursday if not weekday that I will be able to go up. Can’t even find my b-tag to load up the $80 dollar ticket.

^ That $80 is an online special, so you have to buy it online.

I’ve got my RFID passes with all my lift passes from Whistler, Nz etc in a rubber band all together in my snerberd toolbox.