The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Air Canada - anybody?

I’ve just finished booking the next round of snow trips - Hotham in late-July, Wanaka in mid-August and Whistler in late-Jan.  When booking flights for Whistler just now, I was able to get the SYD-YVR flights for $1450pp on Air Canada, pretty damn cheap.  I spoke with a couple of ppl that have flown AC in the past and they said AC was ok but haven’t done any long haul flights with them.

My question is whether anyone has done a AC SYD-YVR flight?  Is it rubbish?  Is it 14hrs where you can just zone out on the iPad and/or Stillnox?  I’m not precious when it comes to traveling as long as I can have some legroom (managed to snag the exit row both ways).  Either way I’ve already booked it, was just interested to hear as there are some, err, “mixed reviews” online grin

It’s fine. They aren’t new but they aren’t shit. Movies to yourself and if you get lucky a few seats. (I got 4 to myself on the flight to Canada).

14h is nothing, it’s better than having stop overs imo.

Awesome man, that’s kind of what I figured.  And you’re right, 14hrs goes pretty quick.  I can’t wait….

On my flight home, I fell asleep straight away and missed dinner. Then the woman in my row spilt coffee on herself (bad burns) and woke me. Still not a bad flight lol

Haha could have been worse, I was on a flight once when a guy’s colostomy bag decided to detach from him.  But that’s a story for another day, at the bar…

Recently flew SYD-YVR return with Air Canada. Flight was fine. Good because you get your own entertainment. food was pretty good for airline food. Attendants were all friendly. Left on time-arrived on time and my bags were in the same flight as me so I can’t complain.
Only complaint is the double up of announcements in English and French - longer interruptions to my in flight entertainment.

Unless you fly qantas, air NZ or like british airways, you’ll pretty much get 2 languages on every flight.

Try flying Cathay Pacific Hong Kong/Paris. You get announcements in English, French, Cantonese and Mandarin!

I can’t sleep on anythin that moves, so I was a little edgy in the last hours of that flight!!!!!

Still better than friggin around with multi’s though, I reckon!!!!!

1 flight and ya done!!!!!

As for leg room/food/drinks/entertainment, it’s pretty much no different to any economy seat on any airline!!!!!!

I have flown both Air Canada short flights as well as the long haul Vancouver to Sydney and vice versa many times. I have also flown a lot of other airlines between Vancouver and Sydney over the years and Air Canada is by far one of the best. Air New Zealand was good too but the stopovers were a pain, considering you have to go through security again when you land in New Zealand.

I much rather take the direct flight and watch all the movies I want during the 14 hours. I don’t sleep on planes so it’s much better to do one long flight than taking twice as long and multiple stopovers.

If you can get the flight for that price book it right away!

I just got back yesterday from a US trip (Boston, NYC, LA) and did the Qantas LAX-MEL flight. 15hrs became 20+ due to delays and an unexpected diversion to Sydney.  The last time I did this flight with Qantas on the way home from Whistler via LAX the same shit happened (delays + diversion via Sydney).  So right now I have a pretty low opinion of our flying kangaroo.

Pretty happy I picked Air Canada for that price but I guess we will see how it pans out on the day.