The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Grasshopper Early Outlook Snow Season 2015

Meh, I’ve been finding the grasshopper to be more and more off in his predictions in the last few seasons. I’m going to agree with his too early to call statement and wait and see what happens

I think H0z said on fb that he predicted the same last year and well, look at what happened!

Hm that’s not my recollection, in fact if I remember correctly he predicted the “El Nino Wrong ‘Un” and a good season.  He was pretty much the only person predicting this and got it right.

Agreed Mud!

Mudhoney - 02 April 2015 01:45 PM

Hm that’s not my recollection, in fact if I remember correctly he predicted the “El Nino Wrong ‘Un” and a good season.  He was pretty much the only person predicting this and got it right.

I was talking long range predictions. Did he long range the wrong-un?? Not taking the piss, i genuinely want to know. If he did maybe i should pay more attention to what he has to say, and hope that he is wrong!!

I find the weather nerds on a skiing website to be more on the money and their fights over it a lot more entertaining

These things are all bullshit, nothing more than a 50% chance of getting it wrong/right.

Look at Whis, they where saying it was going to be a cracker of a season and look how that turned out. Anything further than 2 days out is made up shit.

For the most part, I agree that most forecasts a little more than an educated guess, but you can’t deny the power of El Nino and La Nina events. Deano, El Nino is the reason the season sucked so bad in Whistler. If it’s a La Nina winter, bunker up for an epic winter (the last two La Nina winters in Whistler were beyond epic). It does look like all signs are pointing to El Nino in Australia, but let’s hope it a “wrong’un”.

You’re a Wrongun

deanobruce - 03 April 2015 08:45 AM

You’re a Wrongun

Hahahahahahahahahhaahahhahahahaah!! Yes, yes he is wink

My money is on El Niño, so I’ll just be over here saving for Japan smile

trentradpants - 02 April 2015 08:25 PM

I was talking long range predictions. Did he long range the wrong-un?? Not taking the piss, i genuinely want to know. If he did maybe i should pay more attention to what he has to say, and hope that he is wrong!!

From his April 2014 prediction:

So what’s it going to be? The classic El Nino that will push thousands more farmers to the wall and smash the Australian Ski Industry? Or a wrong’un El Nino that spins the other way and turns everything it touches to snow?

Unfortunately, it’s too close to call right now. Some of the climate models are pointing in one direction, some in the other. My job over the next few months is going to be to search for any clues as to which way this could fall.

Until then, my initial call for season 2014 is a peak snow depth of 172cm at Spencer’s Creek, with the first big 50cm+ storm arriving from late June to early July, snow depths hitting the one metre mark from late July to early August.

Then in May 2014:

But – and this is a sumo-sized but – there’s not yet any clear indication of which flavour of El Nino is more likely to turn up this winter. There are a couple of key models pushing in the right direction for a Wrong’un. I’ve got another angling for a Classic. A couple more are sitting on the fence.
I’m sticking with my call from last month. That was for a peak snow depth of 172cm at Spencer’s Creek, with the first big 50cm+ storm arriving from late June to early July, snow depths hitting the one metre mark from late July to early August.

June 2014

Because while almost every climate model is strongly in favour of El Nino continuing to develop through winter, I can’t find a single one that’s promising a “classic” El Nino weather pattern for Australia.
So I’m sticking with my call from last month, for a peak snow depth of 172cm at Spencers Creek, with the first big 50cm+ storm arriving from late June to early July, snow depths hitting the one metre mark in early August.

trentradpants - 02 April 2015 08:25 PM

I find the weather nerds on a skiing website to be more on the money and their fights over it a lot more entertaining

Yeah I definitely watch that discussion as my main source of info, even though I don’t know what the hell they’re talking about half the time.

He does also offer a ray of hope with the Indian Ocean Dipole (whatever that is) maybe bringing some joy.

surferguy56 - 03 April 2015 09:16 AM
deanobruce - 03 April 2015 08:45 AM

You’re a Wrongun

Hahahahahahahahahhaahahhahahahaah!! Yes, yes he is wink

My money is on El Niño, so I’ll just be over here saving for Japan smile

That may be so. nutjob

“But – and this is a sumo-sized but – there’s not yet any clear indication of which flavour of El Nino is more likely to turn up this winter. There are a couple of key models pushing in the right direction for a Wrong’un. I’ve got another angling for a Classic. A couple more are sitting on the fence.
I’m sticking with my call from last month. That was for a peak snow depth of 172cm at Spencer’s Creek, with the first big 50cm+ storm arriving from late June to early July, snow depths hitting the one metre mark from late July to early August.”

*that’s his may forecast where he was sticking to his uncertainty in April.. (and what I was comparing this years April one too… Obviously later on as the models had more info he was able to correctly predict it..)

* we had 2m in July and almost 3m depth by August…  which is what I was implying.. 

He said the that he wasn’t sure and that I could go either way.. But he took and educated guess at wrong un and was right…    and again he mentioned it has the possibility to go either way…

It is too early for them to correctly ‘guess’ what I will be.. 

But at the end of the day we can all be hopeful! - and as long and there is snow on the ground I am happy!!  (as long as its cold enough they can pump the guns at night anyways!)

h0z - 04 April 2015 09:49 AM

It is too early for them to correctly ‘guess’ what I will be.. 

But at the end of the day we can all be hopeful! - and as long and there is snow on the ground I am happy!!  (as long as its cold enough they can pump the guns at night anyways!)

Yep agreed.  At this stage of the year I just regard these sorts of predictions as interesting information and little more.

Going to NZ. Winner if the season goes as he predicts. Winner if there’s no snow. it’s NZ.

Looking at the outlook, I’m most likely going to give the Aussie winter a miss and aim for a couple of shifty week trips to NZ (thanks to FF points).  Maybe I’ll take my daughter up to Perisher for a quick trip in the July holidays but if the Hopper is on the money, it might not be worth the $$$.