The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Do you have any questions regarding employment at Whistler Blackcomb?

furorsekka - 24 March 2015 09:57 AM

Thanks for that Jeremy! That’s definitely good news.
Yeah we have been looking at the different hotels, wouldn’t mind working for the Fairmont.

Yeah my friend, girlfriend and I have already paid a deposit for accommodation through Seasonit, so we have rooms in a lodge. Had a look at staff accommodation and decided to shell out a bit more for the perks. Also as you mentioned given our scenario it may be hard to find jobs with the same company and thus share accommodation.

Great, you’ve got that part sorted then.

It’s just the job she needs to sort out. Hand out her resume and try to get them to commit to an interview over Skype (I have no idea how successful this plan will be). Other jobs will pop up, so tell her to keep her eyes on the current job postings on the WB website. If nothing is sorted by the time she arrives, she just need to get out there and hustle for a job. Hit up all the bars, restaurants, Whistler Blackcomb postings, hotels etc.

As an option, you could get in touch with The Working Holiday Club. All the WB positions have been filled for next season but there are positions still available at the Four Seasons hotel etc. The only drawback here is the $995 AUD fee (which includes a free night accommodation when she arrives in Vancouver). They also give assistance and advice throughout the process. Just an option. Also remember: you don’t get a free season pass working for the hotels.

rider26 - 22 March 2015 01:47 PM

Hey mate,

I asked about this and the general feedback was: it’s possible but your chances are significantly reduced. Most of the hiring gets done via agencies such as The Working Holiday Club and at the Job Fair. Positions will come up after the Job Fair but you need to be aware that they are random jobs that pop up for various and also for positions with a later starting date. There are less jobs available and therefor the demand for them is a lot higher. So while it’s possible it will work out, there is certainly no guarantee.

The Working Holiday Club could have been an option but I have been advised that their quota for Australians has already been filled for the coming season, specifically for jobs working for Whistler Blackcomb. One option which was discussed would be using The Working Holiday Club to try secure a position with one of the hotels, which is still currently available. If successful, you get a guaranteed job and guaranteed staff housing. However, a staff pass (season pass) is not included. You will either have to pay for your pass or get a Spirit Pass (cheaper but you need to complete some sort of course… I forget the details).

The other option is to consider another resort in Canada for this season and work towards getting everything sorted for Whistler Blackcomb for the following season. I’m not sure what your plans are exactly… just putting the info out there for you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for that Jeremy, I appreciate it.

Just gonna keep working on my visa and keep doing research etc I think. Just gotta consider whether I want to book in say 3 weeks/a month of accommodation in Whistler say from December 1st and give myself a time-frame to find work or as you say look elsewhere. However I figure I’ll run into the same time issues at other resorts if I can’t arrive by orientation as well (hey TJ if you see this - what date (if you remember) was your Sun Peaks orientation?). I do currently have friends at Sun Peaks that will either be doing another season there or going somewhere else, so I’m inclined to follow them as I figure it’d be a handy job contact to have.

You won’t get a lifty job at Sun Peaks if you haven’t lined it up prior to the season. Though they do Skype interviews and generally advertise late August or early September. November 14th was our training and 23rd was opening day.

Though there was plenty of people who organised later start dates (Burf for instance, pretty much never runs on opening weekend and if there is minimal snow, you could be sharing 10 shifts with 40 people…) We had so many days off for the first 2 weeks that the bosses probably would have been keen on a few more early December starters.

Whistler however, has way more people wanting a job. If they tell you to shut up and wait, you just do it and don’t get paid anything I’d say.

Yeah if I opted for a different resort (Sun Peaks for instance) I would definitely be applying when the jobs open and lining it up prior to the season. Just need to decide whether I wish to go that route or take the gamble of finding work at Whistler after the rush, seems I can’t have both.

Missing sarcasim much deano?

james88 - 25 March 2015 06:07 PM

Yeah if I opted for a different resort (Sun Peaks for instance) I would definitely be applying when the jobs open and lining it up prior to the season. Just need to decide whether I wish to go that route or take the gamble of finding work at Whistler after the rush, seems I can’t have both.

Maybe ask someone like Sun Peaks if you can do a mid December start? Then try your luck?

The main problem is that late starters generally don’t get to go on the good lifts and end up in Tube Time or Parking…

Late to the party unfortunately but 3 things i would have like to have asked to a WB higher up:

1) why do they tend to avoid skype interviews, particularly in the case of returning seasonal staff applying for different jobs who are not currently in town - I called to follow up and talked my way into one but it appeared not to be done regularly as I got the “not available for interview” rejection initially

2) how do they think the change in visa conditions for aussies will impact there recruitment over the coming years

3) why are there 3 starbucks in town but no nandos! surely the large number of aussies and uk staff and visitors would easily support such a business venture

And for those talking about the WB job fair, I would describe it more as an interview fair as you either already have your interview lined up from online application or you line up, they have someone skim over your resume and suggest what positions you might interview for…

Just had a suss of the WB site incase anything popped up and they are having part 1 of the job fair in May and June. How many job fairs do they have?

leasha101 - 31 March 2015 09:35 AM

Just had a suss of the WB site incase anything popped up and they are having part 1 of the job fair in May and June. How many job fairs do they have?

From what I was told, they hold Job Fairs throughout Canada earlier in the year, specifically hiring Canadian candidates (although they do interview internationals if they show up). Unless you are going to be in Canada in May/June, I wouldn’t worry about it.

900steve - 26 March 2015 09:28 AM

Late to the party unfortunately but 3 things i would have like to have asked to a WB higher up:

1) why do they tend to avoid skype interviews, particularly in the case of returning seasonal staff applying for different jobs who are not currently in town - I called to follow up and talked my way into one but it appeared not to be done regularly as I got the “not available for interview” rejection initially

2) how do they think the change in visa conditions for aussies will impact there recruitment over the coming years

3) why are there 3 starbucks in town but no nandos! surely the large number of aussies and uk staff and visitors would easily support such a business venture

And for those talking about the WB job fair, I would describe it more as an interview fair as you either already have your interview lined up from online application or you line up, they have someone skim over your resume and suggest what positions you might interview for…

Hey mate,

Sorry, I didn’t get to ask these questions as it was after my meetings, but I’ll be doing some follow-up with them before I release the full article I’m writing. I’ll do what I can to get these questions addressed.

Number 2 is a good question. But it’s worth noting that the visa conditions used to be 1 x 1-year working visa for Australians, so really it’s going back to the way it was (with the improvement of 2 years). I actually don’t think this will impact their recruitment too much.

Number 3… hahahaha wink I’ve always thought something like Oportos or Ogalos (before they sold out) would do really well in Whistler. Sometimes I’m just craving a good Aussie-style chicken burger with chilli.

rider26 - 02 April 2015 05:58 AM
leasha101 - 31 March 2015 09:35 AM

From what I was told, they hold Job Fairs throughout Canada earlier in the year, specifically hiring Canadian candidates (although they do interview internationals if they show up). Unless you are going to be in Canada in May/June, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Ahh right I see, well I wish I would be in Canada for those dates haha buuuut I have to wait until October, our season should distract me during the wait haha.
Can’t wait to read the article you are writing Jez, sounds like it’s going to be filled with Whistler goodness!
Sent off all my visa forms yesterday (fyi you can do everything online now there is no need to print out and post it or do a money order etc and they just make you E sign it you only have to print and scan one form makes life easy) So hopefully I get approved for a 2 year visa     smile

Hey All
Long time lurker, first time poster (cherry popping posting time) smile
getting stocked for canada ski 15/16 (way too excited and its only march/april… sigh)

I know I’ve missed the boat on submitting questions, but just wondering if you asked why as individuals we can’t rock up to the hiring fairs in aus that the working holiday people talk about. As it would be sweet to have something lined up. Also when should i start looking for non staff accom? once we arrive sept/oct, now, few months, doesn’t matter?

Also please bear with me as like all new excited newbies i start hounding you seasoned pro’s for info/advice/randomness in the near future.
Cheers J smile

Hi J

Welcome to the forums.

I suspect the reason is that the job fair with the WHC is paid for by them.

It is an exclusive event that is for WHC people only.

It does seem silly for their team to be here in Aus (after coming all that way) and not interview other Aussies.

BUT i suppose this is what you are paying the WHC for (not that many of us here addvocate payign it)

J - 02 April 2015 12:01 PM

Hey All
getting stocked for canada ski 15/16 (way too excited and its only march/april… sigh)

I know I’ve missed the boat on submitting questions, but just wondering if you asked why as individuals we can’t rock up to the hiring fairs in aus that the working holiday people talk about. As it would be sweet to have something lined up. Also when should i start looking for non staff accom? once we arrive sept/oct, now, few months, doesn’t matter?

Also please bear with me as like all new excited newbies i start hounding you seasoned pro’s for info/advice/randomness in the near future.
Cheers J smile

From what i’ve been told J and what I plan on doing is booking two weeks in a hostel and then in that two weeks attend the job fair and try and get into staff accom or look for your own house. I think it’s too hard to look for something beforehand unless you know someone who is already in Canada. Where are you planning on heading, i’m guessing Whistler?

J - 02 April 2015 12:01 PM

Hey All

Cheers J smile

Welcome to Boardworld, J. shaka

Can I assume you’re talking about Whistler?

Don’t worry… I asked pretty much every question I could think of.

ozgirl pretty much hit the nail on the head. TWHC is an independent agency and they are given only a certain number of positions to hire for. It’s actually quite limited (around 160 positions for Whistler Blackcomb) and these are booked out well in advance. By the end of this past January, they had no positions left for WB for the 2015/16 season. In a nutshell, it’s very limited and it’s a paid service — so if you’re not in quick and pay the deposit, they just don’t have the position for you.

Definitely start looking for accommodation before you leave. Start looking during summer and definitely towards the end of summer, when places will start becoming available for winter. My go to for this is the Pique Magazine website for long term rentals: http://classifieds.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/long-term-accommodations/search — keep a close eye on this. People also use other sources like Graigslist etc. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t find something before you leave, but be prepared to hustle HARD when you arrive. As mentioned, make sure you have a roof over your head in a hostel or whatever for at least a few weeks after you arrive, if you haven’t sorted out a lease before you leave.

Please ask as many questions as you like. This is exactly what Boardworld is here for. Looking forward to having you over there.

While you’re here, please join the Boardworld Facebook Group I recently created. We also have a new Boardworld Whistler Facebook Group you can check out as well.