The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Do you have any questions regarding employment at Whistler Blackcomb?

Jez, where do you recommend looking for short term accom just for the season in a share house? I didn’t think it was possible to find accom before you leave Aus but also wouldn’t want to sign anything just incase I don’t find a job.

Both times I’ve taken a lease on a house with friends, we had it secured and signed before we got there. It’s definitely possible, granted it’s a challenge.

In regards to short term accommodation… some houses might actually have a room available for a month or so at the start of the season. Often, people go away for a holiday before the season, or go back home, whatever the case may be, so they try to sub-let their rooms to get a bit of money while they’re not there.

Actually, join this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/105948296221882/ (I just added you, let me know if it didn’t work). Keep your eye on this group for sure. Be on it because places go really quick.

The other option is to stay at one of the hostels or cheap accommodation types for a couple of weeks while you get sorted.

rider26 - 04 April 2015 05:14 AM

Both times I’ve taken a lease on a house with friends, we had it secured and signed before we got there. It’s definitely possible, granted it’s a challenge.

In regards to short term accommodation… some houses might actually have a room available for a month or so at the start of the season. Often, people go away for a holiday before the season, or go back home, whatever the case may be, so they try to sub-let their rooms to get a bit of money while they’re not there.

Actually, join this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/105948296221882/ (I just added you, let me know if it didn’t work). Keep your eye on this group for sure. Be on it because places go really quick.

The other option is to stay at one of the hostels or cheap accommodation types for a couple of weeks while you get sorted.

Yeah it did, what an awesome page I’ll be keeping an eye on that.
Would be awesome to have a place set up for when I arrive even if it’s just for a month or two wile I’m looking for a job etc. Do most ppl let you set something up before you arrive?

I wouldnt personally set something up before you get there without having a buddy check it out.

I have numerous friends who set a place up then got here only to realise they where paying $800/month for a shoebox with no windows…

deanobruce - 06 April 2015 04:57 PM

I wouldnt personally set something up before you get there without having a buddy check it out.

I have numerous friends who set a place up then got here only to realise they where paying $800/month for a shoebox with no windows…

Yeah good idea, that would really suck! Better off booking into a hostel then sussing out some houses.

leasha101 - 06 April 2015 06:22 PM
deanobruce - 06 April 2015 04:57 PM

Yeah good idea, that would really suck! Better off booking into a hostel then sussing out some houses.

It’s a very good point. I wouldn’t lease anything without having someone look at it on your behalf. There are ways of doing this though. My buddy Shane who occasionally posts on here used to offer this service to Boardworld members for a small fee. If you are interested in going this route, I can ask him for you. He is also very good at dealing with landlords and representing your best interests.

That said, it isn’t the easiest approach as you have to communicate with landlords from Australia. It’s difficult and most people wouldn’t do this, but I have had success in the past (both times I’ve had friends inspect on our behalf).

Thanks for the welcome
smile

ozgirl - 02 April 2015 12:04 PM

Hi J

It does seem silly for their team to be here in Aus (after coming all that way) and not interviewing other Aussies.

BUT I suppose this is what you are paying the WHC for (not that many of us here addvocate paying it)

I figured as much :( still annoying

Leasha still undecided on whistler it is in my top preferences along with banff, whitewater, kicking horse. will all depend on if i can get a job before departure.

Rider26
thanks for those links following them up now smile
I’ll just need to possibly befriend a local to do some house inspections for me, or spam the shit out of google maps and street view.

side note can i quote several people at once??

J - 07 April 2015 09:52 AM

side note can i quote several people at once??

Yes, but you need to manually use the quote tags (there is a button in the formatting options). Then copy and paste what you want to quote. cheese

I know it is probably a bit late to ask but does anyone know when the November job fair will be?

Friend and I are in the process of booking a couple of Hostels in Vancouver and Whistler as we don’t want to miss out on accommodation in Whistler given it is leading up to the peak period.

This is what I was told when we had our meeting (and it doesn’t look like there’s been any update on this on their website):

The Job Fair will likely be in early November, usually the first weekend of the month. It could be as early as last weekend in October (I assume this is the earliest possible date so if you need to book, play it safe and get there for this date). Dates will be released in early summer. If they haven’t updated the website by then, please let me know by replying here of getting in touch with me directly, and I will follow up for you.

rider26 - 08 May 2015 04:42 AM

This is what I was told when we had our meeting (and it doesn’t look like there’s been any update on this on their website):

The Job Fair will likely be in early November, usually the first weekend of the month. It could be as early as last weekend in October (I assume this is the earliest possible date so if you need to book, play it safe and get there for this date). Dates will be released in early summer. If they haven’t updated the website by then, please let me know by replying here of getting in touch with me directly, and I will follow up for you.

Excellent, Thanks for the info Jeremy.

My friend is arriving on the 19th and I’m arriving on the 23th of October. I believe there is some sort of Meet and Greet in the last weekend of October for all the other non whistler blackcomb companies so we were planning on attending that as well.

Hey guys, been reading through some of the awesome info on here as i am thinking about heading to Canada/WB next season after this season at Perisher. Just a few questions:
1. How long does it usually take for a visa to come through and will i have enough time to sort it out?
2. Probably not looking to fork out the dosh to join the WHC so i gather that my best bet is to just apply for an interview and then head over for the job fair?
3. If i can’t get a job for the mountain how hard is it to snag a job in town if i arrive in November?
Thanks in advance and sorry if these questions are no brainers or have already been answered. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.  grin

ordie - 08 May 2015 11:34 PM

Hey guys, been reading through some of the awesome info on here as i am thinking about heading to Canada/WB next season after this season at Perisher. Just a few questions:
1. How long does it usually take for a visa to come through and will i have enough time to sort it out?
2. Probably not looking to fork out the dosh to join the WHC so i gather that my best bet is to just apply for an interview and then head over for the job fair?
3. If i can’t get a job for the mountain how hard is it to snag a job in town if i arrive in November?
Thanks in advance and sorry if these questions are no brainers or have already been answered. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.  grin

Hey ordie

1)It took me 6 weeks from start to finish to get my work visa. Look in the Canada mega thread and get the items ready such as your photo and police clearance and you will be fine.
2)If you are looking at whistler then they don’t really do interviews before the job fair. I believe other ski resorts like sun peaks and stuff do allow for applications and interviews online.
3)The job fairs for whistler are In September and early November so if you can get there by November it will definitely increase your chances of getting a job. However from what I read whistler is a big place and there is always people who come and go (don’t stay the whole season etc)  so just keep an eye out I’d you don’t land a job straight away.

Hope this helps. I found a lot of good information in the previous Canada mega thread it is 45 pages long though.

furorsekka - 09 May 2015 07:57 AM

Hey ordie

1)It took me 6 weeks from start to finish to get my work visa. Look in the Canada mega thread and get the items ready such as your photo and police clearance and you will be fine.
2)If you are looking at whistler then they don’t really do interviews before the job fair. I believe other ski resorts like sun peaks and stuff do allow for applications and interviews online.
3)The job fairs for whistler are In September and early November so if you can get there by November it will definitely increase your chances of getting a job. However from what I read whistler is a big place and there is always people who come and go (don’t stay the whole season etc)  so just keep an eye out I’d you don’t land a job straight away.

Hope this helps. I found a lot of good information in the previous Canada mega thread it is 45 pages long though.

Thanks man that helps a lot. Didn’t even think of checking out last seasons thread, looks like iv’e got some “light” reading ahead of me raspberry

New Thread: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/18391
Old Thread: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/13765

I tried to summarise a lot of the old stuff into the new thread. If you’re planning to go to Canada, I highly recommend applying for your police check, waiting a week and then starting your application. Waiting on the police check when you’re ready to submit the second part really sucks lol.